PDA

View Full Version : L31 Error $0311 when reading tune

Wheelz
September 7th, 2013, 07:39 AM
I'm trying to read what I believe is an L31 PCM. Truck is a 97 Chevy Silverado with a 350 with VIN 1GCEK19R1VE26774.

When I attempt a read with only my V2 I get error $0311. I cannot get either V8 or V7.5 to auto recognize the ECM. Am I just missing a step or is there a fuse to check? This is my first L31 to attempt. Truck is a one owner, I was told it has never had a prior programmer and is 100% stock (radio included).

A side note I cannot get the v7 scan tool to recognize any valid PIDs when I try to log it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit>> Just found out the truck was a 97 instead of a 98. I'm guessing that is the problem

Taz
September 7th, 2013, 08:43 AM
...Just found out the truck was a 97 instead of a 98. I'm guessing that is the problem ...

Yes sir ... 1997 Black Box Vortec PCMs are not supported.

Wheelz
September 7th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Yes sir ... 1997 Black Box Vortec PCMs are not supported.

Thanks. Now to see if he's interested in an 0411 swap.

EagleMark
September 7th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Or send it to me for a flash?

Wheelz
September 7th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Or send it to me for a flash?

Do you flash it to an OS I can tune with a V2 or is it purchasing a tune from you? I was just helping a friend out so I don't care either way, I just need to let him know.

How long would it take because it's his daily driver, but he can get access to another car.

EagleMark
September 9th, 2013, 03:15 AM
Oh.. I thought it was yours and was just offering to return help as you have been helpful to me here. I'm really not looking for mail work... but you can PM me if you'd like.

96 Vortec is unique, 97 Vortec is unique as is 98-00 Vortec. The OS can not be changed to anything EFI Live can use.

I've done quite a few 96 up Vortec trucks either stock, mild mod or transplants. There are some great improvements to stock tun just as there is with others systems. They seem to be very sensitive to VSS/Speedo calibration if tires have changed to different size, even a small change hurts drive-ability more so then say newer 0411 systems.