PDA

View Full Version : Procharged 4.3 w/COS3 looking for review of log and tune pls!

overS10ded
September 9th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks to all of the supporters of EFILive and the vortec forums as well for all the info and help for me and my 4.3. Finally have COS3, 2 bar map, and the Procharger working, and things feel pretty good! With my 35# bosche 280-155-737 injectors hitting 80% translates to 300HP at the flywheel! I know I have a lot to learn here and would really appreciate some review of my log and tune files to see that I'm not missing something obvious. Idle is good. I'm pretty happy! I know my pid selection was not optimal but the jist is there. I need some help there too on pid selection for centrifugal s/c. I am MAF delete. Thanks

GOOD TIMES!!!

Bruce

Wrong tune here...see my post below "joecar"...sorry for the mix-up!

overS10ded
September 10th, 2013, 01:20 AM
signature

joecar
September 10th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Bear with, someone will take a look...

overS10ded
September 10th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Sorry but I entered a older tune in my first post. Here is the most recent tune;

overS10ded
September 20th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I'm sure there are a few areas that need attention. A bit of KR for a moment around 3,200rpm. I am not sure what the kpa boost is reflecting, but 113kpa converted to psi is 16.38 psi...but my boost gauge (connected to manifold-not before tb which I read is where to pull boost signal from for guage) shows about 6psi...so what boost am I pushing?

Appreciate any input on the tune and scan.

Good times!

Bruce

joecar
September 20th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Give me a day or two, I'll take a closer look.

overS10ded
September 20th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks joecar, I'm in no hurry at all, I'm 3,000 miles from my car at the moment and have several months before I'm back, so the tuning is just one of several fun projects I have. I greatly appreciate and respect your experience.

Good times!

Bruce

Lextech
September 21st, 2013, 01:05 AM
I see that your IFR table is set up as a "Returnless" type of system---Is that right.
Also, Do you have a wideband O2 Sensor hooked up to datalog? Your Boost VE table looks "manmade" and not like a wideband was used.
It appears that it is set up properly in "Speed Density" mode. Remember when you Fail the MAF that you will be running off of the Low Octane timing table.
Were you able to obtain the correct injector data? I have no knowledge of it being right or wrong---Just curious if it is correct.

Jeff

overS10ded
September 21st, 2013, 07:49 AM
Hey Jeff, thanks for taking a look and thanks for all your help in the past especially with the '0411 pinout for my app. You have been a huge help and I am deeply grateful and hope I can return a favor to you someday.
I was not aware of the "Returnless" fuel system choice and assumed of none other than a return system. My system is a "stock" oem return type. I'm running wideband (lm-1) and hooked it up to datalog, but can't "see" it. I thought the pids I selected were the right ones but really don't know and tried to map the WO2 and also don't understand which pids to select. Yes the Boost VE is "manmade". I was worried about lean spots and just made a "baseline" accross the high spots and carried it out across the graph...I have much to learn! Can you please enlighten me on what I should be looking at with the Low Octane timing table.
I believe the injector data to be correct. I have found conflicting information about the 280-155-737 injectors but I'm fairly confident with what I now have in the tune.
I appreciate your time Jeff. Thanks tons!

Good times!

Bruce

overS10ded
September 21st, 2013, 01:15 PM
Concerning the Low Octane timing table, do/can I replace this with the High Octane timing table?

joecar
September 21st, 2013, 01:39 PM
If you're running MAF-less, the COS retains the HO/LO adaptive spark feature.

joecar
September 21st, 2013, 01:40 PM
I'm off to a slow start today, but I'll get to your files before the weekend is out.

Lextech
September 21st, 2013, 03:02 PM
If you're running MAF-less, the COS retains the HO/LO adaptive spark feature.

DOH---Your right. Thanks for the correction Joe. Sorry about that Bruce. I don't know why I arrived at that.
Your B4001 IFR table needs to be filled top to bottom with the same value as the "0" column for a "Return" style fuel system.

Jeff

overS10ded
September 21st, 2013, 04:32 PM
No problem Jeff! I filled the B4001 w/values from an injector calculator for the injectors I'm using. I understood to fill the colomn with the calculated flow numbers which I did. I'm not grasping the concept of the "Return" system's reliance on this table yet so bear with me.

As far as the 113 kpa for boost, (@ 5,000') equates to 4psi+/- is this close?

Good times!!

Bruce

Lextech
September 21st, 2013, 11:36 PM
As far as the 113 kpa for boost, (@ 5,000') equates to 4psi+/- is this close?

No, Every 10 Kpa above 105 is about 1.5 lbs boost. (115 is 1.5, 125 is 3.0, 135 is 4.5, 145 is 6.0, 155 is 7.5------and so on) These are very close approximates.

Jeff

overS10ded
September 22nd, 2013, 02:22 AM
I must have a lot of leaks then. I'll need to make a test cap w/a shrader valve to pressurize and test for leaks. I have a LOT of connections w/ the intercooler in front of the A/C condenser so I'll have my work cut out for me there. The 3.6 pulley is supposed to be good for 10psi on this motor but I do have a March aluminum underdrive crank pulley and it could be slipping.

overS10ded
September 22nd, 2013, 03:18 AM
No, Every 10 Kpa above 105 is about 1.5 lbs boost. (115 is 1.5, 125 is 3.0, 135 is 4.5, 145 is 6.0, 155 is 7.5------and so on) These are very close approximates.

Jeff

I was thinking that you would go from absolute pressure which is 87kpa? then do the math which is how I got the 4psi. Anyhow it runs much better with the COS3 and 2bar MAP then it did before. Must be the 1.5psi boost- hehe. However the boost gauge seemed to be consistently pushing the 5# spot by 5000+rpm...furthering my confusion.

Good times!

Bruce

overS10ded
September 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=overS10ded;197714] I filled the B4001 w/values from an injector calculator for the injectors I'm using. I understood to fill the colomn with the calculated flow numbers which I did. I'm not grasping the concept of the "Return" system's reliance on this table yet so bear with me.

Went back to the injector calculator and found the instruction of entering only the 0 MAP value in the entire table so I will do that. Thanks Jeff!!

Good times!

Bruce

joecar
September 25th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Return system = return line from FPR to fuel tank = FPR is MAP-referenced = IFR table is flat (i.e. FPR accounts for change in MAP) --> enter the 0 kPa value to all cells.

Returnless system = no return line from FPR = FPR is un-referenced = IFR table is sloped (i.e. PCM accounts for change in MAP)

Mikz86ta
September 25th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I assume this is a CPI Injection 1991 4.3? Not TBI

overS10ded
September 25th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks Joe for the clarification.

Good times!

Bruce

overS10ded
September 25th, 2013, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=Mikz86ta;197877]I assume this is a CPI Injection 1991 4.3? Not TBI[/QUOTE

No, the engine is a '96 VORTEC - Central Sequential Fuel Injection - OBDII which I converted to Multi-Port FI(fuel rails, changeable injectors) w/2002 '0411 PCM COS3.

Good times!

joecar
September 25th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Return system = return line from FPR to fuel tank = FPR is MAP-referenced = IFR table is flat (i.e. FPR accounts for change in MAP) --> enter the 0 kPa value to all cells.

Returnless system = no return line from FPR = FPR is un-referenced = IFR table is sloped (i.e. PCM accounts for change in MAP)

Clarification on returnless system:
- FPR actually has a return line, but it is very short (i.e. local to the fuel pump/tank);
- FPR is actually referenced to barometric pressure (i.e. is referenced to constant BARO) --> this is termed "un-referenced" (and IFR table is sloped as noted above).

overS10ded
September 26th, 2013, 01:22 AM
When I installed the Multiport manifold and injectors, I entered the figures for my injectors I found on a popular forum calculator speadsheet into the table B4001 however under the calculator is the explanation of which type of fuel system used and how to set up the table corresponding to "return" or "returnless" system. Well, I didn't see that part and filled my data in mistakenly as "returnless" however my system is a return system. Drove it for a couple 1,000 miles like that. Maybe this is why it wasn't running very well!?! But still got decent mileage.

Good times!!

Bruce