PDA

View Full Version : OS Compatibility Question

Webbs
September 11th, 2013, 09:37 AM
So If I have a 2008 E38 with OS 12624402 could I use 2010 OS 12647991 thus giving me twice the range in the IFR table?

W~

Taz
September 11th, 2013, 12:55 PM
No ...

Webbs
September 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM
No ...

No meaning I'm reading the chart wrong?

Or

No I'm stuck with that OS?

W~

ScarabEpic22
September 11th, 2013, 02:47 PM
No I'm stuck with that OS?

This...

If the OSs are in the same column, then you *should* be ok using another one of the OSs in that ECM with a Tis2Web flash.

If the OSs are NOT in the same column, you have a very high chance of bricking the ECM when flashing a different OS in. Tis2Web will NOT warn you either.

minytrker
September 11th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I finally bricked my first e38 doing just that, changing os which efi warns you not to do, lol.

IJ.
September 11th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Is there a list anywhere of what is changed in each OS for a certain year?

GMPX
September 11th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I finally bricked my first e38 doing just that, changing os which efi warns you not to do, lol.
You know we used to block the bypass option so you could not full flash if there was a mismatch, but people complained :nixweiss:

minytrker
September 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM
You know we used to block the bypass option so you could not full flash if there was a mismatch, but people complained :nixweiss:

I probably was one of the people who complained, lol. It was 110% my fault, I definitely dont blame EFI. I knew the risks and ignored the warnings but I was willing to gamble the e38 ecm and I lost. All the warnings saying not to do it made me want to try it, kinda like telling a little kid no. :muahaha:

swingtan
September 11th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Is there a list anywhere of what is changed in each OS for a certain year?

http://content.efilive.com/documents/OS%%20Compatability%%20Guide.pdf

IJ.
September 11th, 2013, 07:34 PM
http://content.efilive.com/documents/OS%%20Compatability%%20Guide.pdf

Grabbed that earlier Simon, doesn't show what the changes are :)

GMPX
September 11th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Maybe shoot GM an Email :sly:
Really the only way to know is track what they list on CalID as they do updates.

minytrker, I guess you just had to see if it was some sort of EFILive conspiracy :mrgreen:

IJ.
September 11th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Really the only way to know is track what they list on CalID as they do updates.

minytrker, I guess you just had to see if it was some sort of EFILive conspiracy :mrgreen:

LOL just thought someone might have an idea of what all changed! ;)

Mine "12607218" doesn't have any COS support, is there a preferred OS for the 2006 year?

Been asking in another thread for a couple of extra "features" but I know you guys are busy with the new release stuff so not holding my breath!

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?21379-DIC-Cluster-scaling-factor-with-big-injectors&p=197161#post197161

ScarabEpic22
September 11th, 2013, 08:19 PM

Really now...didnt know you guys re-enabled it as I havent tried to do it in a few months. Havent to try it tomorrow when I get a minute!

LOL just thought someone might have an idea of what all changed! ;)

Mine "12607218" doesn't have any COS support, is there a preferred OS for the 2006 year?

Been asking in another thread for a couple of extra "features" but I know you guys are busy with the new release stuff so not holding my breath!

COS support, as in the ethanol E38/E67 COS?

Easiest way would be to punch your VIN into the CalID site and look at the list of OSs that GM has used on your vehicle, then match those with the supported COSs.

IJ.
September 11th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Really now...didnt know you guys re-enabled it as I havent tried to do it in a few months. Havent to try it tomorrow when I get a minute!

COS support, as in the ethanol E38/E67 COS?

Easiest way would be to punch your VIN into the CalID site and look at the list of OSs that GM has used on your vehicle, then match those with the supported COSs.

Is that all that's extra in them?

Was thinking they had a bunch of goodies.... I already run FlexFuel in mine.

GMPX
September 11th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Oh dear, please let us know how that goes :doh2:

Is that all that's extra in them?
They don't need much more do they? The LS1 PCM's problem was it was never designed for 2bar, the E38 was straight from GM.

IJ.
September 11th, 2013, 09:49 PM

They don't need much more do they? The LS1 PCM's problem was it was never designed for 2bar, the E38 was straight from GM.
LOL@ the reply to Erik :D

Well they "could" have a 1024 g/sec limit on the MAF and an adjustable fuel scaler for the dash.... ;)

I'd happily pay to have both of those!

ScarabEpic22
September 12th, 2013, 03:50 AM

Uh oh.... :D

LOL@ the reply to Erik :D

Well they "could" have a 1024 g/sec limit on the MAF and an adjustable fuel scaler for the dash.... ;)

I'd happily pay to have both of those!

I dont think if we had these features that they would be part of a COS anyway, EFILive tends to leave these sort of "patches" applicable to the stock OS.

IJ.
September 12th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Uh oh.... :D

I dont think if we had these features that they would be part of a COS anyway, EFILive tends to leave these sort of "patches" applicable to the stock OS.
<fingers crossed> Hopefully Paul and Ross take pity on a poor old early E-38 owner ;)

GMPX
September 12th, 2013, 12:55 PM
No worries, $500 per hour rate, maybe a weeks work, might be cheaper to just use a later model E38 :grin:

IJ.
September 12th, 2013, 01:00 PM
No worries, $500 per hour rate, maybe a weeks work, might be cheaper to just use a later model E38 :grin:
LOL I'm pretty well locked into using this ECM, car is a bit of a fussy one when it comes to modules....

there was no evolution of it all by Holden, 2006 only. :(

Boost
September 13th, 2013, 02:22 AM

Yup! The little limited descriptions they decide to share on right when you go to flash is the closest you can get. Sometimes they say stuff like "enhanced diagnostics" or "to address customer complains of low power, may ping"

LOL