PDA

View Full Version : Please Read Windows 8 Users (USB3/xHCI)

Always2Slow
September 18th, 2013, 04:27 PM
If you are having trouble with Windows 8 and flashscan v2 communicating I have a solution for you. Most new laptops are coming with usb 3.0 ports and a feature called x(HCI), which stands for eXtensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI). I like many others had issues with the flashscan connecting to the laptop and being able to read and write files to the flashscan. What I did was I went into the Bios on my laptop by hitting the delete key repeatedly on startup. I then disabled xHCI interface under the USB configuration tab. After I have made this change EFI and the flashscan on windows 8 work like clockwork. Nothing hangs it sees the unit finally and I can read and write bbx files. Hopefully this helps some users on here enjoy EFI Live again as much as I have.

joecar
September 18th, 2013, 05:52 PM
A2S, thanks for sharing... I added to the title, and stickied it.

machinist09
October 27th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Does this prevent the PC from using the USB 3.0 as such? Like, does it just treat them at USB 2.0? What does this directly affect? I am just setting up my new Windows 8 laptop now.

GMPX
October 27th, 2013, 09:45 AM
USB3.0 is problematic, I have found on my PC that USB2 memory sticks plugged into USB3 ports can sometimes take up to 20 seconds to be recognised.

Ellwein Engines
January 10th, 2015, 03:04 AM
I have no ability to flash or read now with my only laptop. My old laptop died. This Toshiba with windows 8.1 and USB 3.0 ports will not allow me to disable xHCI . Or in other words if I disable xHCI then my USB ports are dead. Is there any way to get my FlashScan to work with USB 3.0?
If not are there computers on the market with USB 2.0 ports?

thanks,
Karl Ellwein

Ellwein Engines
January 10th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Well guess what. This is not a USB 3.0 port problem. ($0101).
I just tried 3 laptops and all received the $0101 error.
1st laptop is Toshiba with windows 8.1 and using USB 3.0
2nd laptop is ASUS and windows 8.1 and using USB 3.0
3rd laptop is Sony and windows XP and using USB 2.0

All give the $0101 when attempting a licence commit full flash.

What is the true problem here?

joecar
January 10th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Try this: go Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive USB Manager and uninstall the driver, and install the driver with the older version.

Ellwein Engines
January 11th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Try this: go Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive USB Manager and uninstall the driver, and install the driver with the older version.

Thanks for the help joecar:
I was able to find that file string and un-installed the latest driver and install the next to newest driver. Upon trying to flash the customer car I get the same $0101 message.

But new news here is I tried to read my 2003 Silverado truck and it worked flawlessly. So it's not a USB driver problem??????
Why the code $0101 for one car and not the other?

thanks,
Karl Ellwein

joecar
January 11th, 2015, 05:01 PM
What is your customer's vehicle...?

cindy@efilive
January 11th, 2015, 05:02 PM
In your V8 software installation you'll find a full list of EFILive Error Codes contained under the HELP -> Documents menu.

In that document $0101 is listed as

USB cable is faulty or not connected. In rare circumstances the PC operating system or the EFILive software may be malfunctioning. In even rarer circumstances the FlashScan or AutoCal device’s USB circuitry may have been damaged. That damage occurs when the laptop is powered by a voltage inverter supplied from the vehicle’s battery. A power inverter must never be used to power the laptop while it is connected via FlashScan or AutoCal to the vehicle.

Check USB cables, plugs and connections. Try using a different USB port and/or different USB cable. Try rebooting the PC/laptop. Try using a self-powered USB hub between the PC/laptop and FlashScan or AutoCal. Try re-installing EFILive software

Given you have demonstrated that your EFILive software installation and hardware work on another supported vehicle, it would suggest that there is a communications problem in the vehicle.

Is the vehicle you are trying to tune supported?
Can you please ensure the cigarette lighter in the vehicle is functioning (The OBDII connector uses the same power source, so if the cig fuse has blown, you won't be able to communicate with the vehicle)
How are you connecting with the vehicle? Are you using V7 software in pass-through mode, V8 software, or are you using FlashScan/AutoCal in standalone mode?

Cheers
Cindy

Ellwein Engines
January 14th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the reply
Trying to flash a 96 Impala SS with 24x and repinned stock harness.
Pins at the Blue LS PCM connector were just verified by me today. All grounds good. 12v switch and constant good. Serial good continuity between ALDL and PCM.
The ALDL is verified to have power by plugging the V2 box and the V2 box comes to life, (not connected to laptop).
Am using Laptop with EFI Live Scan and Tune V8.2.2
I use the (activate licence) and (full flash) and each give me $0101
The laptop is connected to the V2 box and then the V2 to the ALDL.
This all works perfectly on my Silverado 2003.
The 2 PCMs I have tried are "new" from EFI Connection.
Is the "new" PCM required to have some sort of Factory flash before my EFI Live can flash it?
thanks,
Karl

joecar
January 14th, 2015, 08:18 AM
The 2 PCMs I have tried are "new" from EFI Connection.
Is the "new" PCM required to have some sort of Factory flash before my EFI Live can flash it?
Hi Karl,

Yes, the PCM's need to have been flashed. EFI Connection would have flashed them, check with them.

Ellwein Engines
January 14th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks, I'll drop Mike a line and ask.

BowlingSS
July 17th, 2015, 06:32 AM
I did not have any problems with my Windows 8.1 notebook.

Bill

Highlander
December 27th, 2015, 08:25 AM
I reverted back to windows 7 and i am having this problem... None on windows 10.. GRR

Highlander
December 27th, 2015, 08:39 AM
For now, my solution
usb manager
buffer 8mb
latency 50
timeout 100

etmotorsports
January 21st, 2016, 11:50 AM
My efi live and windows 8 was working fine since i got the laptop about a year ago. Went to try and make some changes to my truck and it will scan, and read the file but i cannot load a file i get the $0101 i am not sure what could have changed it worked fine at in november.

joecar
January 22nd, 2016, 05:32 AM
$0101

No data received

USB cable is faulty or not connected.

In rare circumstances the PC operating
system or the EFILive software may be
malfunctioning.

In even rarer circumstances the FlashScan or
AutoCal device’s USB circuitry may have
been damaged. That damage occurs when
the laptop is powered by a voltage inverter
supplied from the vehicle’s battery.
A power inverter must never be used to
power the laptop while it is connected via
FlashScan or AutoCal to the vehicle.
Check USB cables, plugs and connections.
Try using a different USB port and/or
different USB cable.
Try rebooting the PC/laptop.
Try using a self-powered USB hub between
the PC/laptop and FlashScan or AutoCal.
Try re-installing EFILive software which also
re-installs the USB drivers.

joecar
January 22nd, 2016, 05:32 AM
Please try the above...

etmotorsports
January 24th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the advice joecar, i have tried all you listed 1st. I found that the file i pulled out of the truck was bad only 1/2 the size of what it should be, re read the truck and file was normal size and loaded just fine. Something must have happened on the download or save to corrupt the file.

joecar
January 24th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the advice joecar, i have tried all you listed 1st. I found that the file i pulled out of the truck was bad only 1/2 the size of what it should be, re read the truck and file was normal size and loaded just fine. Something must have happened on the download or save to corrupt the file.Hi David,

If you still have the broken file, let me ask Paul if he wants to look at it...