PDA

View Full Version : Tuning From DeskTop

BowlingSS
February 24th, 2005, 05:13 AM
What files from my notebook do I need to copy to my desktop so I can do my tuning on my desktop? You can tell I have not looked at the manual yet. Just read my PCM for the first time.

Bill
:D

GMPX
February 24th, 2005, 02:25 PM
It's in the manual.....oh sorry :wink:

Obviously with the software also installed on your desktop machine, just copy the .tun file.

Cheers,
Ross

zrx1200
February 24th, 2005, 08:49 PM
is it ok to use a usb extension say 4-5 metres?

Blacky
February 24th, 2005, 10:07 PM
is it ok to use a usb extension say 4-5 metres?

I've successfully used a USB extension of 10 feet. I think The USB specification (someone correct me if I'm wrong) does not allow for extensions longer than 15 feet.

Regards
Paul

ArKay99
February 25th, 2005, 06:45 AM
We have been using a usb extention that utilizes a network cable. It is supposed to be good to 150ft. We are ausing a 50ft. Cat5e cables and a standard USB at the Flashscan end. We have done numerous flashes using high speed mode with no issues so far. A side effect is we are getting into shape from running back and forth between the desktop and the car. Also, we are looking into an extremely long cable so we can log from the desktop :lol:

BowlingSS
February 25th, 2005, 09:10 AM
It's in the manual.....oh sorry :wink:

Obviously with the software also installed on your desktop machine, just copy the .tun file.

Cheers,
Ross

I tried that. I can open the .tun file but says I am in the Demo mode. I have entered my Key and serial number, etc. Maybe I will just copy all the files from my notebook.

Bill
:?

joecar
February 25th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Try this...
Double check your serial number and licence key; also, your name and contact info should be blank.
Same thing happened to me until I caught on.

BowlingSS
February 25th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Try this...
Double check your serial number and licence key; also, your name and contact info should be blank.

I have checked and double checked the key and serial number. Still in demo mode.

Bill

BowlingSS
February 25th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Try this...

I have checked and double checked the key and serial number. Still in demo mode.

Bill

I found the problem. The date was set to 2004 and not 2005.....Operator error.

Bill

BigTex
February 28th, 2005, 05:35 AM
I found the problem. The date was set to 2004 and not 2005.....Operator error.

Fear not, you aren't the only one who has done this.

ace68
March 10th, 2005, 06:59 PM
origianaly posted by arkay99
we use 50' Cat5e cables and a standard USB at the Flashscan end

why don't you get a Cat5e cables and a standard USB at the Flashscan end say .

100klm and just log the run straight from your desktop :shock:

no I'm kidding :wink:

zrx1200
March 10th, 2005, 08:35 PM
bought a 3 m extension..on the back of the pack it said 3m for low speed devices and 5 m for high speed devices..i just relocated the pc and am using one 3m extension..

jsttry
March 26th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Because of the nature in which data is carried through the cable, USB has an accepted maximum length of 15 feet. Some devices, depending in power needs and data bandwidth, may be able to go beyond this, but there are no guarantees.

The only practical solution, aside from using a different interface, is the use of repeater extension cables to fill the gaps. These cables have a small booster at the end which reads and re-sends the signal instead of just passing it along. They can be strung along in a row, and so long as there is never more than 15 feet of cable between boosters, it is possible to run USB up to an extended maximum of 80 feet. Don't know how this would go with interfering with the upload of tunes into the car.

ArKay99
March 26th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Because of the nature in which data is carried through the cable, USB has an accepted maximum length of 15 feet. Some devices, depending in power needs and data bandwidth, may be able to go beyond this, but there are no guarantees.

The only practical solution, aside from using a different interface, is the use of repeater extension cables to fill the gaps. These cables have a small booster at the end which reads and re-sends the signal instead of just passing it along. They can be strung along in a row, and so long as there is never more than 15 feet of cable between boosters, it is possible to run USB up to an extended maximum of 80 feet. Don't know how this would go with interfering with the upload of tunes into the car.
We have been using a usb extention that utilizes a network cable. It is supposed to be good to 150ft. We are ausing a 50ft. Cat5e cables and a standard USB at the Flashscan end. We have done numerous flashes using high speed mode with no issues so far.

jsttry
March 26th, 2005, 05:41 PM
We have been using a usb extention that utilizes a network cable.

Maybe flashscan is one of those devices that can go beyond the 15' limit

ArKay99
March 28th, 2005, 03:16 AM
We have been using a usb extention that utilizes a network cable.

Maybe flashscan is one of those devices that can go beyond the 15' limit
No, we have been using a specialized USB extender. It uses a transmitter and reciever that translates USB signals in the signals that can be utilized across CAT5e network cable up to 150ft. There is a convertor on each end of the CAT5e cable. At the desktop is a USB to CAT5e convertor plug, and at the car there is a CAT5e to USB convertor plug. We are using a 50ft CAT5e cable because that is close to the distance from the desktop to where the car can be parked for flashing. We also can do idle and stationary logging this way. If we need we can either take the laptop, for real time monitoring of selected pids or set up Flashscan for remote logging.
The reason we do this is because I use the laptop for my business and it isn't always available.