PDA

View Full Version : Total new guy in search of bare basics tutorial?

SharpA
October 7th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Hello everyone, So after years of standing back ive decided to purchase efi live, I am slowly making changes to my 10'SS Camaro with a 416 stroker and 6l80 transmission..

ive navigated the tool and figured out where mostly everything is located and played with MIL light settings and my gear change calibration. I have made backup files of my PCM and TCM tune currently...

I am nervous about the tuning of the fuel maps. Is there a good tutorial or someone that can point me in the right directions from strategy(what to do in what order) of a start to finish tune?

Im sure yall see this allot, some of the write-ups I found here look a little more advanced..

Thanks in advance..

joecar
October 7th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Goto post #80: forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8961-E38-VVE-Setup-Guide

Taz
October 7th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Swingtan's Tutorial has been posted many times on this Forum. Here it is again ...

SharpA
October 24th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Goto post #80: forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8961-E38-VVE-Setup-Guide

So two weeks have passed and ive learned so much. Ive made minor adjustments to my tune already.

Ive been following the write up I must of read it 5 times lol, Im down to this step:

Im ordering the PLX wideband which efi live has pids for.
Im at this step:

Once the PIDs are set up. Go driving or test it on the dyno. This part is much the same as the LS1 Auto VE
process, in that you want to run the engine at as many load points as possible to get sufficient data. Slow
pedal movements help a lot and try and keep a single throttle position as long as possible. Get as much data
as possible. It will help to use the E38 BEN MAP (Virtual VE Table – WB BEN.map) to see what cells
need to be hit. This map can also be used to help adjust the VVE later on.

My question is Where is this ben map spoken of? Under the scan tool in Maps I see a VE table map for PLX and others But it says B0101... Isnt that the LS1 VE from research?

My next question will be after that one is resolved, Im assuming ill set it to record all those pids and those cells in the map will start to fill in, and the object is to hit as much as possible from the tutorial, After that's completed What Will those cell numbers I drove to establish do for me in the tune?

joecar
October 24th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Ok, reading thru this may help, it is not for your ECM but the concepts are the same, and the pid WO2BEN is still valid for your ECM and for VVE tuning:

read thru post #1 here: Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log) (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log))

SharpA
October 24th, 2013, 08:18 AM
w02ben isn't in the pid list in the scan tool from what I see? Im seeing ones like

BEN factor bank 1 serial wideband e38 style..

I didn't see W02BEN Down the list..

SharpA
October 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM
What im asking for is assistance setting up everything to do the logging and the map to start the VE.. All these different meathods have me confused a little

joecar
October 24th, 2013, 10:49 AM
w02ben isn't in the pid list in the scan tool from what I see? Im seeing ones like

BEN factor bank 1 serial wideband e38 style..

I didn't see W02BEN Down the list..See post #1 of the thread I linked above, to get that pid you have copy the calc_pids.txt file, and possibly edit it for your wideband

( i.e. you do this so you can tune using Lambda rather than AFR, since you don't know the stoich AFR of your fuel (since it has 5-10% ethanol in it )).

joecar
October 24th, 2013, 10:51 AM
What im asking for is assistance setting up everything to do the logging and the map to start the VE.. All these different meathods have me confused a littleThe Calc.VET thread I linked to shows you how to set up maps in the V7 scantool... have a walk thru it to see how to set up the maps, and have a look at the VVE tutorial and guide to see the method you need to use on your ECM (you don't have any methods to choose from).

joecar
October 24th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Also note:

in ANY tutorial where you see a BEN pid, you can replace it with the pid WO2BEN with the same effect or better

( WO2BEN is defined in the calc_pids.txt file found in post #1 of the Calc.VET thread )

you won't be able to just jump in and "tune"...

you will have to read:
- the scantool/tunetool user manual pdf's,
- the VVE tutorial,
- the VVE guide,
- it helps if you read the AutoVE tutorial pdf to get an idea of what VE does (which uses the predefined BEN pids),
- read post #1 of the Calc.VET thread (see what VE and MAF do, understand calc pids), follow all the links;

there is no cookbook procedure to follow... any procedure you see requires you to be able to understand if it is working or not... (you don't want to get into any situation where you are damaging your engine/transmission).

Anyway, like I said, post #1 of the Calc.VET thread shows you how to easily setup maps (even tho they are different for your VVE table).

:)