PDA

View Full Version : Does reading a HPT tuned PCM with EfiLive brick the PCM?

ttls1
October 7th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Hi, I have a PCM that has a HPT tune in it. I tried to flash an efilive tune and OS into it but it says its locked. I phoned the tuner that originally tuned it with HPT to ask if this was the case. He said that he never locks his tunes and that due to the fact i have now tried to talk to it with Efilive the PCM is trashed. He said that even HPT would not be able to communicate with it now and I will need a new PCM. Is this the truth or am I getting fed BS?
Cheers

swingtan
October 7th, 2013, 08:58 PM
"reading" - no.

"Writing" - well that's an interesting thing. If the PCM came up as locked, then EFILive can't write to it, so can't brick it.

You could try a full power reset on the PCM, but I'd wait and see what advice some others may bring.

Simon.

IJ.
October 7th, 2013, 11:46 PM
If it's a HP COS then you can't read or write to it but it shouldn't brick it, you'd need to revert to a non COS using HP Tuner then you can use EFI-Live to read/write.

tokymon
October 8th, 2013, 02:45 AM
ya custom os is no go - but they dont brick have done a couple of trucks with both
efi live way better for vve but some pids were only avalible to change with hp tuners

ttls1
October 8th, 2013, 08:11 AM
No worries cheers. Will get a standard tune flashed back in with HPT and try again with efilive.