PDA

View Full Version : Bin files and hex editors

turbo_bu
October 9th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Recently, Taz helped me with a lean cruise patch for an OS that wasn't in the CAX list. I did a little digging, and it appears that if anyone was to do some poking around in a file, that you would need the binary file and a Hex editor. My question is where do we get binary files from? Are these the files that you can pull off using a Tech II? Guessing that these might also be the same file format that you get from the TIS2WEB subscription from GM (thus what a Tech II uses to flash in to a module {PCM, ECM, TCM, BCM, etc...})???

Thanks for any insight ... just trying to learn more about these in depth topics.

GMPX
October 9th, 2013, 10:33 AM
One thing everyone needs to be very wary of, if you go poking around in the OS sections of ECM's altering code via .cax files (or plain hex editing), if you do something wrong the ECM will more than likely end up bricked.

joecar
October 9th, 2013, 11:50 AM
TIS2WEB files might be encrypted/compressed (I don't know, I haven't tried to pry one open).

Taz probably got the binary using TunerCat or TunerPro.

Do heed GMPX's warning.

turbo_bu
October 9th, 2013, 02:35 PM
GMPX and joecar,

Yes, I don't have any plans to much editing ... more just seeing how all these pieces fit together. And kinda like Taz did for me, show me the general jist of how to extend some of the great work that others have already done for us.

I did notice in another post that somebody mentioned the JET DST program and how it uses *.bin files ... but I didn't quite see that listed. Again, you would have to find a Tune Depot type repository for bin files that those guys use ... if it exists or not. Maybe TunerCat / TunerPro has some type of file sharing going on ???

EagleMark
October 11th, 2013, 05:17 PM
TunerCat OBDII uses the file extension .cal Jet DST uses .jcl. Neither are true bin file which is what is ultimately loaded in your PCM. They are all changed or encrypted by each software comapny after the read.

TunerCat will read PCM in .bin format with CTRL T when reading.

TunerPro RT is the only software I know of that uses .bin as proprietor format. It's what is really needed to make changes in hex if you have dissasembly and comments of the .bin. Most all GM OBDI masks have been throughrouly commented and with this it's easy to make a mask for Pararmeter adjustments. But support for OBDII is slim and slowly starting with a couple OS.

We are starting a collection of .bin files for OBDII if you need one or want to donate:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forumdisplay.php?37-TunerPro-OBDII-Bin-Files