PDA

View Full Version : Silverado misfiring under part throttle when wet

Wheelz
October 14th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I know this isn't the forum for general troubleshooting car problems, but this is the only forum I'm a member of relating to my truck. If this needs to be moved, please do.

My problem is, when I drive through puddles/rain or even go through an undercarriage car wash, I get a terrible misfire under part throttle and idle. I can roll into the throttle and feel cylinders start to fire. I can feel three different cylinders begin to fire at different points, each as I push farther into the throttle. Its pretty consistent behavior when its wet. When all the cylinders light, it takes off like a champ, which makes me look like a retard trying to drive easy in town. It doesn't make sense that it could be a fuel problem because of how I can make more cylinders fire by just giving it more throttle, but I can't figure out where to start beyond it being water getting somewhere it shouldn't. I'm a Test Engineer, I'm supposed to know how to troubleshoot problems, but this has me baffled. I don't know what to log to help me narrow down where the problem is. I also just changed plugs and wires thinking that would help, and no joy; exact same symptoms next time it rained. 104k mi on the clock

I then let it sit in the garage an hour and it ran just fine when I ran to get dinner, on wet roads. granted I was dodging anything that looked like a water puddle. I did not notice the truck doing this before I installed the headers, and it was about two months after the install before I took it through the car wash or got a rain. The truck runs great when its dry.

Here is my tune and a log just so you can see what I'm logging. My V2 was full (kept forgetting to bring it in to pull the files off of it) so I haven't gotten a log of it misbehaving, but watching the data come in nothing stands out. COS 03 and not using the MAF, but its still hooked up for the IAT sensor

I'm also running OL with all o2 sensors unplugged

joecar
October 14th, 2013, 06:11 PM
When vehicle is dry and running good, get underneath it with a spray/mister bottle, and spray water on various connectors (e.g. NBO2) and see if you can locate the source.

Does your PCM and/or connector get wet...?

joecar
October 14th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I don't like your MAP signal... near the start of the log, MAP starts jumping even tho ETCTP is steady (see frame 551).

Wheelz
October 15th, 2013, 12:52 PM
When vehicle is dry and running good, get underneath it with a spray/mister bottle, and spray water on various connectors (e.g. NBO2) and see if you can locate the source.

Does your PCM and/or connector get wet...?

Ahh, good idea. I drove an hour in the rain today and it drove fine till I got to a dirt road with puddles everywhere and it was miss city from there. I finally got a good log of it happening but it will most likely be tomorrow before I get it uploaded.

I did look under the hood today after I parked it with it missing and what I believe is the PCM was dry. It had plastic all around it so you can't see it directly, but I can't see anything else that resembled a PCM. Also nothing on the coils looked wet or like it had been wet. It rained all day here so it may be a couple days before it dries out enough to do any trouble shooting.

Ill check out the map wiring.. I hadn't noticed that. I also gotta get my wideband hooked back up...

Chevy366
October 16th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Here is a good read on misfire events -- http://www.ls2.com/boggs/dtcs/DTC%20P0300.htm, http://www.underhoodservice.com/Article/83877/tech_feature_courage_under_misfire.aspx

Wheelz
October 19th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys for the tips. That was a good read on misfires. I'm still working this. I found a wire off the oil level sensor that was touching the block that I've temporarily taped up, and I've waterproofed my o2 sensor connectors. Still gotta take it to the carwash to test it.

Don't have a spray bottle at the house to spot check it so I'm fixing what I can see is wrong