PDA

View Full Version : LS1 Full Flash question

mowton
October 20th, 2013, 12:50 AM
I am having a senior moment.....how long should a full re-flash take when re-flashing the stock OS? I thought it used to take longer.....ala the senior moment :). It seems to take only seconds and then responds with re-flash complete. Is this correct? The scenario is I read the file, save, close, reopen and then perform a full re-flash with the same file I just read. We did custom OS full flashed 2 versions ago with no problems, just wondering if I am doing something wrong and I am really reloading the OS.

Thanks,

Ed M

joecar
October 20th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Hi Ed,

Which V7/V8 software build...?

What are you using to flash (V7 tunetool, V8 S&T, V2 BBx)...?

What PCM in what vehicle...?

joecar
October 20th, 2013, 07:11 AM
How long does a cal only flash take on your PCM...?

joecar
October 20th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Hi Ed,

This might be the problem:

The most likely cause is a permissions problem on the Program Files\EFILive\V7.5 folder when EFILive is attempting to update the PCMLocks.ini file.

If that does not fix the problem, please log a support case(this helps the Team to organize and keep track of related problens),
see here : KB 7778-QEKN-0400 (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=7778-QEKN-0400)

mowton
October 20th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Hi Ed,

Which V7/V8 software build...?

What are you using to flash (V7 tunetool, V8 S&T, V2 BBx)...?

What PCM in what vehicle...?

Hey Joe,

its the latest build (e92 update) but it did it on the previous build as well.

Flashing with the V7 tool

Its a 0411 in a 2003 corvette

How do I go about working the possible permission problem?

Also it works ok on 2005 and up if that helps.

Thanks for your help.

Ed M

joecar
October 20th, 2013, 07:29 PM
In the folder Program Files\EFILive\V7.5 look for the file PCMlocks.ini and check that it has write permission.

Also, check that you're running the tunetool with admin permissions.

mowton
October 20th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joe,

Searched my entire Disk C and couldn't find PCMlocks.ini. Also, Ross had me try and open tune tool as an administrator and it opened...does that verify you request to check tunetool for admin permissions?

Thanks,

Ed M

joecar
October 21st, 2013, 03:59 AM
Hi Ed,

It's in the Configuration folder, i.e. C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Configuration

( sorry, I should I have pasted that pathname earlier )

mowton
October 21st, 2013, 05:11 AM
Hi Ed,

It's in the Configuration folder, i.e. C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Configuration

( sorry, I should I have pasted that pathname earlier )

There is no such file name in the Configuration folder? Also, the full flash does return back with PCMLocks.ini access denied so it sounds like you are on the right track. Why can't I find the file? Will keep looking........

joecar
October 21st, 2013, 11:29 AM
Hi Ed,

It seems to me that EFILive tunetool tries to create that file (PCMlocks.ini) but it does not have permission to due to either or both of the following:
- the folder does not allow write permission within it,
- EFILive tunetool is being run without sufficient privileges.

( basically, Win Vista/7/8 makes things convoluted )

so you have to do this:
- log on as user Admin,
- check the permissions allowed on the folders in the path of the Configuration folder,
- make sure user Admin has permission to write in any of the folders mentioned in that path;
- set the V7 tunetool to run as user Admin;

( I don't have Win Vista/7/8 so I can't test it out )

mowton
October 23rd, 2013, 02:57 PM
Hi Ed,

It seems to me that EFILive tunetool tries to create that file (PCMlocks.ini) but it does not have permission to due to either or both of the following:
- the folder does not allow write permission within it,
- EFILive tunetool is being run without sufficient privileges.

( basically, Win Vista/7/8 makes things convoluted )

so you have to do this:
- log on as user Admin,
- check the permissions allowed on the folders in the path of the Configuration folder,
- make sure user Admin has permission to write in any of the folders mentioned in that path;
- set the V7 tunetool to run as user Admin;

( I don't have Win Vista/7/8 so I can't test it out )

Joe,

Thanks for the heads up. Have found some older threads with the same issue/solution. Won't get a chance to try permission update until Friday.

Thanks again,

Ed M

mowton
October 25th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Joe,

That did it, thanks for the help :)

Ed M

joecar
October 25th, 2013, 11:29 AM
No worries, glad it now goes. :cheers: