PDA

View Full Version : Need help loading a tune file.

byrdman11
November 4th, 2013, 06:44 AM
First I am a noob at this tuning stuff and efi live. Questions are when I read a tune file in my 2011 Silverado how to I save it. Second question
what the difference in downloads. Like loading just the cal and loading operation system and cal. Please help???

joecar
November 4th, 2013, 10:25 AM
File->Save As and give it a filename, e.g. "2G2FV_0000.ctz".

Cal Only Flash: flashes just the calibration (tables/parameters). <-- you do this anytime you change the content of parameters/tables.

Full Flash: flashes everything (OS, calibration, everything else). <-- you only do this if changing the OS.

byrdman11
November 5th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Thanks I just load a full tune into my truck. If I want to charge rev limiter or cranking ve I could do just the cal flash right?

joecar
November 5th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Thanks I just load a full tune into my truck. If I want to charge rev limiter or cranking ve I could do just the cal flash right?

Yes, correct, you could have just done a cal flash.

Please: Do not do full flash when all you need is a cal flash...

full flash takes longer and has a window of miss-opportunity at the beginning where if things go wrong they can stay wrong.

byrdman11
November 5th, 2013, 06:11 AM
When should I do a full flash. And what a operation systems???

joecar
November 5th, 2013, 07:52 AM
When should I do a full flash. And what a operation systems???You would only do a full flash if you wanted to change the OS in the PCM.

In tunetool, go View->Show Calibration Window, at the top you will see Operating System id number.

For example:
- my 2001 F-car came with OS 12202088,
- I changed OS to 12212156 (from 2002 F-car),
- and then I changed OS again to 02020005/COS5 (Custom Operating System 5);
but in order for me to do those OS changes, I had to first understand whether they were compatible and what I would gain.

BUT, you should stay with the OS you currently have...

AND, you should not do a full flash (unless otherwise instructed to do so... i.e. basically never).

statesman
November 7th, 2013, 10:21 PM
You would only do a full flash if you wanted to change the OS in the PCM.

In tunetool, go View->Show Calibration Window, at the top you will see Operating System id number.

For example:
- my 2001 F-car came with OS 12202088,
- I changed OS to 12212156 (from 2002 F-car),
- and then I changed OS again to 02020005/COS5 (Custom Operating System 5);
but in order for me to do those OS changes, I had to first understand whether they were compatible and what I would gain.

BUT, you should stay with the OS you currently have...

AND, you should not do a full flash (unless otherwise instructed to do so... i.e. basically never).

What did you gain by changing from OS 12202088 to OS 12212156 ?

joecar
November 8th, 2013, 07:41 AM
What did you gain by changing from OS 12202088 to OS 12212156 ?I could then run COS5 as needed

( and I think GM fixed a transmission issue with 3->4 flare )

Mikey 97Z M6
May 8th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I was reading this thread with the difference between cal flash vs full flash. I was also reading another post on here about merging two tune files, (I can try finding it and posting a link to it). But, it was basically using the engine parameters from one tune and taking a manual transmission parameters from another tune to create a custom hybrid tune file. Would that require a full OS flash or still just a cal flash?

I'm basically going to use the engine parameters from my 2000 Tahoe, and merge a 99+ Fbody 6 speed manual trans files into it. (converting the Tahoe to a T56 manual trans)

Mike