PDA

View Full Version : 3bar COS only logging to 255kpa

BAD BOB
November 9th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Basically when logging it will go to 255 kpa and flat line. Not sure if the tune is still following above that point and just not logging above or if it's a issue with the v2 not reading the map correctly. The map is scaled correctly as well.

joecar
November 9th, 2013, 04:49 PM
The PCM's range for reporting the MAP pid is upto 255 kPa.

The COS's Boost VE table ranges upto 285 kPa regardless of what the MAP pid reports.

But this still leaves the range 255-285 kPa hard to tune.

GMPX
November 10th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Off the top of my head there is another MAP PID that will read beyond the SAE.MAP 255kPa limit.

BAD BOB
November 14th, 2013, 01:53 AM
Off the top of my head there is another MAP PID that will read beyond the SAE.MAP 255kPa limit.

Can you recall the pid name by chance?

picnic_george
November 14th, 2013, 03:40 AM
The PCM's range for reporting the MAP pid is upto 255 kPa.

The COS's Boost VE table ranges upto 285 kPa regardless of what the MAP pid reports.

But this still leaves the range 255-285 kPa hard to tune.
Is this a limitation of the OS itself or the PCM?

joecar
November 14th, 2013, 08:11 AM
The pid SAE.MAP ranges 0-255 kPa... I believe it's the OS.

Like Ross said, there is another MAP pid, but I don't see it...

GMPX
November 14th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Can you recall the pid name by chance?
No sorry I don't remember.

Is this a limitation of the OS itself or the PCM?
It is a limitation of the SAE defined PID, not the PCM.

tirefryin_s10
August 10th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Any update on this? Need to be able to log to the end of the map sensor.

tirefryin_s10
August 10th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Anyone?

RADustin
August 10th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Can you log MAP voltage? and scale it yourself with a custom PID?

ScarabEpic22
August 11th, 2015, 05:28 AM
I think that's going to be your only bet, just because it's a 3 Bar MAP doesnt mean the PCM can see the whole range. There are hardcoded limits (like the 255kPa limit you found) that you cannot get around, the PCM will never be able to see it. If you HAVE to have it, you're going to need to scale everything and get creative on how to display everything. FWIW, I see this being a huge can of worms and would not suggest it, likely way more headache.

tirefryin_s10
August 11th, 2015, 06:02 AM
I think that's going to be your only bet, just because it's a 3 Bar MAP doesnt mean the PCM can see the whole range. There are hardcoded limits (like the 255kPa limit you found) that you cannot get around, the PCM will never be able to see it. If you HAVE to have it, you're going to need to scale everything and get creative on how to display everything. FWIW, I see this being a huge can of worms and would not suggest it, likely way more headache.

If someone can help me build a custom pid I would just like to at least be able to log to the end of the map sensor voltage.

RADustin
August 11th, 2015, 06:28 AM

this isn't completely true. The SAE pid is limited to reporting up to 255 as it is one byte(0-255). I believe the ecm can read in and perform math with up to 285.

Is raw MAP voltage available as a scan tool item?

If not you could run the map sensor into one of the analog in's on the V2- and scale it from there.

ScarabEpic22
August 11th, 2015, 07:26 AM
this isn't completely true. The SAE pid is limited to reporting up to 255 as it is one byte(0-255). I believe the ecm can read in and perform math with up to 285.

Is raw MAP voltage available as a scan tool item?

If not you could run the map sensor into one of the analog in's on the V2- and scale it from there.

Hmmm interesting, I figured that 0-255 range = 256 unique values or 2^8 applied to both the PID and what the PCM/ECM can do. Be interested to know, even more so if this changes per ECM/PCM...

RADustin
August 11th, 2015, 08:25 AM
its the way the packets come across the data lines. It doesn't have to do with internal PCM processing.

GMPX
August 11th, 2015, 09:04 AM
What controller are you working with? The LS1 has a PID called 'GM.MAPBOOST_DMA', that will read past 255kPa. If you are talking later model ECM's (E40, E38 etc) then forget it, the ECM's internal calculations do not allow past 255kPa.

Highlander
August 29th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Simple

Create a custom PID with your sensor's equation and log map.voltage and custom convert.... also log VE table dma and you will know where you are .