PDA

View Full Version : Dead E38?

RD in SD
December 12th, 2013, 08:31 PM
09 Corvette with modified tune. We were having very strange intermittent issues with the car. Under acceleration it would shut off as if the ignition switch was turned off. It could be immediately restarted after shutting off the ignition switch and restarting. The problem continued to worsen until we finally came to the conclusion that it was the computer.

We ordered a new computer from the chevy dealer. I tried to cal flash it with my old modified tune. The first problem I ran into is that I had to buy another license due to the new computer. Then when I went to upload the new tune it said the operating system was different and I would need to do a full flash. I did a full flash. Now the car won't start in fact I can no longer connect to the computer at all. When I say won't start I mean no starter engagement.

Help!

darcy
December 12th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Was the OS you flashed compatible with the ECM? http://content.efilive.com/documents/OS%%20Compatability%%20Guide.pdf

RD in SD
December 13th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Was the OS you flashed compatible with the ECM? http://content.efilive.com/documents/OS%%20Compatability%%20Guide.pdf

That link does not seem to work. I don't know the answer to that question. I assumed it was unless I bought the wrong ECM. Can you please double check that link for me.

RD in SD
December 13th, 2013, 04:48 AM
I found the compatibility list now how do I find an ECM that is compatible with my old operating system? Buy a used one?

joecar
December 13th, 2013, 05:33 AM
The attached file is what that link would be pointing to...

RD in SD
December 13th, 2013, 09:25 AM
The attached file is what that link would be pointing to...

Yes thank you, I did find this one. Now my question is how the chart is it used. I already did a full flash on the new computer that I got from chevy. At the time I did the flash EFI Live said something like "The operating system is not comparable you will need to do a full flash" At that time it gave me the operating system information but I don't have it now. At the top of the chart it say the following.

Serv No: 12603892, 12597121, 12612384,
12625455, 12633238

Are those the ECM numbers that are compatible with the operating systems listed below them? Assuming yes, my ecm 12612384. My operating system that I flashed into the new ECM is 12628988 which according to the chart is for an 06 or 07 but my car is an 09 Corvette but according to the chart it should also be compatible?

What happens if you flash an old operating system to a computer that is not compatible? Right now my symptoms are that I can't communicate with the computer at all.

In another post I read that I might need to reset the theft deterrent system do you think that might be the problem?

joecar
December 13th, 2013, 12:08 PM
. . .

Serv No: 12603892, 12597121, 12612384,
12625455, 12633238

Are those the ECM numbers that are compatible with the operating systems listed below them? Assuming yes, my ecm 12612384. My operating system that I flashed into the new ECM is 12628988 which according to the chart is for an 06 or 07 but my car is an 09 Corvette but according to the chart it should also be compatible?

Yes, that's how you read the chart for each ECM.

What is your 2009 Corvette's ECM number and OS number...?

I don't know if the theft deterrent system is or is not compatible...
but if you change ECM then you have to program the vehicle's VIN into the ECM to match the VIN the theft deterrent system knows of.

RD in SD
December 13th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Yes, that's how you read the chart for each ECM.

What is your 2009 Corvette's ECM number and OS number...?

I don't know if the theft deterrent system is or is not compatible...
but if you change ECM then you have to program the vehicle's VIN into the ECM to match the VIN the theft deterrent system knows of.

The ECM and OS numbers are the ones I put in that last thread. According to what I can see on the chart they are compatible.

I flashed it with the old program that came out of the old computer so yes the VIN number should match.

Is it possible a blew a fuse to the ECM there is no communications at all with EFI Live and the computer.

joecar
December 14th, 2013, 01:15 AM
You might want to check the VIN and write it with the scantool.

joecar
December 14th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Check the cigar lighter fuse.

minytrker
December 14th, 2013, 06:14 AM
You'll just have to make a new for the new OS is the easiest thing to do. E38's have to be flashed with a tech2 first since a brand new one can not be flashed with efi live. There was probably a update in the programming from GM so the different OS is probably the newest OS for that vehicle.

RD in SD
December 14th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I can't check the vin because I cannot communicate with the computer at all.

RD in SD
December 14th, 2013, 12:20 PM
You'll just have to make a new for the new OS is the easiest thing to do. E38's have to be flashed with a tech2 first since a brand new one can not be flashed with efi live. There was probably a update in the programming from GM so the different OS is probably the newest OS for that vehicle.

I will just have to make a new what for the OS?

Update, the cig lighter fuse was blown I replaced it, no change. I still cannot communicate with the computer, the car will not turn over. I put my old computer back in and it started fine. The old computer has an intermittent problem that results in the engine shutting off at random times which is of course the reason I replaced the computer. Now what I have $350 invested in the new computer is it dead?

minytrker
December 14th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I will just have to make a new what for the OS?

Update, the cig lighter fuse was blown I replaced it, no change. I still cannot communicate with the computer, the car will not turn over. I put my old computer back in and it started fine. The old computer has an intermittent problem that results in the engine shutting off at random times which is of course the reason I replaced the computer. Now what I have $350 invested in the new computer is it dead?

Sorry about that, you'll need to make a new tune for the new OS.

If you tried flashing the old tune in the new e38 with a different OS you most likely bricked the the ecm specially if it won't do anything.

RD in SD
December 14th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Now after taking the computer out and putting it back in I am communicating. Now I have P080A clutch relearn code. I can't figure out how to relearn it

Taz
December 14th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Nice to hear the E38 is alive ... however, this should have driven home the point that you can't flash these with just any old calibration - like could be done with the LS1-B PCMs.

The new E38 you purchased ... it is Service Number 12625455, Yes ? (* see EDIT below *)

You had the dealer (or someone) load 2009 Corvette OS12628988 with a Tech 2, Yes ?

The 2009 model year brought many changes to the E38 calibrations - the increased injector flow limit is the one people seem to appreciate most. However, that particular OS could present problems if you tried to flash it over a different 2009 OS. Some of the parameters appear to be holdovers from the 2008 and earlier calibration platform.

* EDIT: that particular 2009 OS may require E38 Service Number 12612384 (2008 model year) *

Attached is a PDF to help with the clutch relearn ....

RD in SD
December 14th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks, I figured out the clutch relearn on my own and did it with EFI Live. I was surprised that my MODIS would not do it. The car started and ran fine. Then I had to do the crank sensor relearn, I used my MODIS, after three tries I gave up. It kept asking me to accelerate to the fuel cut off, each time after several of those the engine would die and I had to start over. I gave up. I took it for a drive and it does the same thing it did before I replaced the computer. Engine shuts off on acceleration. I have no idea what to try next. I need someone in Southern California that is an expert on this stuff.

joecar
December 14th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I'm in SoCal (GG)...

I know LS1 stuff reasonably well (mostly relating to F-car)... I don't know too much about E38//E67 stuff.

RD in SD
February 17th, 2014, 01:10 PM
This problem corrected itself when I disconnected the battery and tried again.