PDA

View Full Version : Analog wideband help for new starters

braapp
December 27th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Is there a step by step tutorial for getting a analog wideband working and calibrated once everything has been wired up in one write up, for the moment I'm using a HALTECH and for someone just starting out what i find has bits and peaces missing. I do have a serial supported WIDEBAND on the way because of the luck of information for getting a analog unit working for someone just starting out.

braapp
December 27th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Not sure if this makes any difference but the formation would have to relate to a flash scan v2 fully updated and ls1B cheers.

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Common people that know link or search title I'm going to try what I've set up in the morning hopefully it works but it would be nice to see a tutorial.

mr.prick
December 28th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Wideband O2 Install (http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/Wideband%20O2%20Install%20Tutorial.pdf)
LC-1 Installation (http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/LC-1%20Installation%20Tutorial.pdf)
How to match wideband output to {B3601} (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13229-How-to-match-wideband-output-to-B3601&p=117265#post117265)
How to create an extra external PID (linear WBO2 example) (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?132-How-to-create-an-extra-external-PID-%28linear-WBO2-example%29&highlight=WBO2)

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks mr.prick ill have a look through what you have there.

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I already had everything wired up mate and the lc-1 installations is old controller and innovate screens, i find that hard to get any information from. I think the CREATE EXTERNAL PID and MATCH OUTPUT is what I'm looking for ill try work it out.

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 02:03 PM
that create extra external pid link is really old there is no calculated pid in v7 that i could find, however i found it in v8 which one do i use efilive calculated pids or user calculated pids. I was hoping to get an up too date explanation targeted at the beginner.

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Know I realise why most people just go for a supported serial widebands, but its interesting that the non supported high end types that people swear by are analog and say the cheaper ones are junk.

joecar
December 28th, 2013, 02:49 PM
The high end wideband's (for example ECM AFM1500) support serial comms...

Which wideband do you have...?

When you use analog connection, the wideband reports a voltage in the range of 0V to 5V to represent the measured AFR in the range of something like 7 to 22 (for example).

When you use serial comms (if your wideband supports it), the wideband sends a text string to FSV2 stating the measured AFR (e.g. "14.7" as a text string).

The interesting thing is, the analog widebands contain a builtin digital micro-controller which converts the mreasured AFR from digital form to analog form for outputing on the analog connection... i.e. the wideband's controller performs an extra conversion for outputing the analog AFR.

The analog connection has been found to be susceptible to voltage drop/offset problems (not to mention noise from the ignition system).

The serial comms connection has been found to be immune from the problems seen by the analog connection.

joecar
December 28th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Which wideband do you have...?

Do you have FlashScan V2 or V1...?

More information on wideband pids, see post #1 here: Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log) (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log))

joecar
December 28th, 2013, 02:57 PM
BTW:

analog connection is simple, it consist of connecting the signal wire and the return/ground wire between the wideband controller and FS;

serial comms connection is also simple, it consists of connection a null-modem-serial-comms cable between the wideband controller and FS;

in both cases you have to enable the appropriate pids (analog EXT.AD1 or serial EXT.WO2xxx1, in V8 Scan&Tune software goto Devices).

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Gday Joecar I'm using a haltech and a v2 fully up to date i be leave everything is wired up like you said that part is easy, but getting everything to talk is not at least not for someone new to efilive.
Ive made a null modem connector and serial cord also as i bought the v2 second hand and it didn't come with the serial cord so Ive got everything for when the lc-2 arrives.

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Really keen to have a go at the calc.vet once i get everything working, is the process the same using calc.vet with a mafless cos.

joecar
December 28th, 2013, 03:40 PM
So you have the analog signal wire and the analog return/ground connected to your V2's AD1 + and - terminals respectively...?

Go into V8 S&T, Goto Devices, goto BBL (Logging) tab, checkmark Automatically select all external analog pids, click Save, click Program, and then exit.

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Yeah wires are hooked up as you have said ill give it a go, for some reason i havnt been able to use the v8 bbl i can't work out how to select the pids then save like you do with the v7.

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 05:07 PM
it has showed up with a $0106 received data contained parameters that were out of range, ill try again does power have to be to the w/b ignition ON to do this?

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Tried it again just keeps coming up with the $0106

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Ok thats worked i was trying to save to the sd card not the internal memory, ill see if that allows the afr wideband to read on the v2 later tonight

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Still no afr reading from the wideband to the v2.

darcy
December 28th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Are you using pass-through with v7.5 or BBL on the V2?
The V2 can't display calculated pids, which AFR from an external voltage input is.

Are you able to see external input voltages?

braapp
December 28th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Nar mate i just had it hooked up to the v2 alone and thought it may give me a read out, can you see the voltages in the data screen with the car running? On the wo2 screen it still dosnt recognise the wideband.

mr.prick
December 29th, 2013, 07:13 AM
you won't see wbo2 data on the v2 screen unless it connected via serial.

analog voltages should be displayed with passthru.

braapp
December 29th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Ok my current wideband ( haltech dual ) isn't serial capable, do i select external wideband pid in v7 passthru and will it work see i don't really know all i seem to be getting here is what I'm doing wrong. I was hopping this thread would help me and others so far it is confusing.

mr.prick
December 29th, 2013, 11:46 AM
what model do you have?

HWC, HDWC, HT059970 / HT059980

braapp
December 29th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Its the old style dual HDWC ( I'm only using it as a single ) not the new one with the CAN capabilities to integrate with a haltech computer.

mr.prick
December 29th, 2013, 08:45 PM
not the lc-1 clone. ;)

signal wire #1 (white) connected to AD1+
signal wire #2 (grey) connected to AD2+

braapp
December 29th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Not sure what you mean by not the lc-1 clone the signal wires for the haltech are white and blue.

joecar
December 29th, 2013, 11:18 PM
What about the ground wire...?

darcy
December 29th, 2013, 11:27 PM
With the wideband wired up to the V2's external input AD1, log the pid EXT.AD1 - this will give you the widebands output voltage.
Then you need to log a calculated pid that will convert the voltage to an AFR that you can relate to. Log CALC.PLX1 (PLX uses the 2v+10 equation that I believe Haltech also uses for converting voltage to AFR) - now you will have AFR in your log too.
From there you can use the CALC.BEN_PLX1 for your correction factor.

The above values assume stoich is 14.7 - which is ok for pure gasoline - working in EQR/lamba is better but requires some changes to the calc pids that can wait until you're up and running.

braapp
December 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM
With the wideband wired up to the V2's external input AD1, log the pid EXT.AD1 - this will give you the widebands output voltage.
Then you need to log a calculated pid that will convert the voltage to an AFR that you can relate to. Log CALC.PLX1 (PLX uses the 2v+10 equation that I believe Haltech also uses for converting voltage to AFR) - now you will have AFR in your log too.
From there you can use the CALC.BEN_PLX1 for your correction factor.

The above values assume stoich is 14.7 - which is ok for pure gasoline - working in EQR/lamba is better but requires some changes to the calc pids that can wait until you're up and running.

Thanks Darcy this has sort of been what I've been after all along cheers. Can these pids be found in the v7 list.

braapp
December 30th, 2013, 10:19 AM
What about the ground wire...?

Yes the input has a ground wire the unit uses two ground wires, at the start of this thread i was asking about whats needed after this is all done.

darcy
December 30th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Can these pids be found in the v7 list.

Those are standard calculated pids, so should be visible. If you can't see them, check that the "Supported" box is unticked

braapp
December 30th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Those are standard calculated pids, so should be visible. If you can't see them, check that the "Supported" box is unticked

No worries ill have a go at that i thought the unsupported pids did not work for an ls1b computer thanks again Darcy hopefully i can get somewhere with this today.

braapp
December 31st, 2013, 08:31 PM
That worked Darcy your a legend will that be accurate enough to run autove?

darcy
December 31st, 2013, 08:46 PM
That worked Darcy your a legend will that be accurate enough to run autove?

If you're full gasoline (no ethanol), with your stoich set at 14.68 {B3601}, the error is less than 0.2% - so inconsequential.

braapp
December 31st, 2013, 10:37 PM
If you're full gasoline (no ethanol), with your stoich set at 14.68 {B3601}, the error is less than 0.2% - so inconsequential.

Yeah mate just 98 for the time being, ill check that table and on my next days of I'm going to have a go at autove if everything is accurate and it should be.

Thanks again Darcy for sharing the info.

C5 Pete
March 13th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Where do you find the connector that goes into the V1?

I'm trying to hook up dual widebands and need the little connector - with, or without a pigtail.

TIA

joecar
March 13th, 2014, 02:36 PM

I'm trying to hook up dual widebands and need the little connector - with, or without a pigtail.

TIAOrange connectors usually would have come come with V1/V2...

try contacting a reseller: http://www.efilive.com/distributors

joecar
March 13th, 2014, 08:19 PM

TIAHi Pete, please email me at joecar@socal.rr.com

C5 Pete
March 14th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Thanks guys. I bought it used and don't seem to have these connectors.