PDA

View Full Version : New to EFI Live, help with updating 2000 to 2002 os

windydrew
January 1st, 2014, 04:33 AM
I am new to efi live but not HP tuners. My brother and I have both. I read through all the forums concerning the upgrade and when I upgraded my os last night, the reduced power light was on and it would barely idle. I havent figured out how to change engine segments and I have no clue how to use .cax files because my goal is to eventually get lean cruise enabled because I want to try to hit 25-30 on the highway.

Edit: forgot to add I had a few codes. One was TAC module communication error, which my Yukon is cable throttle. And the other had to do with a fuel sensor error.

windydrew
January 1st, 2014, 03:01 PM
Maybe this is the wrong section since no one has answered this seamingly simple question. Could someone move this to the correct section? I guess this section would be where I post my issues with enabling lean cruise, if I have any. Thanks

joecar
January 2nd, 2014, 02:21 AM
I'm looking thru your files...

Did you change OS from 09381344 to 12216125 (any particular reason for 12216125...?)...?

windydrew
January 2nd, 2014, 02:24 AM
I'm looking thru your files...

Did you change OS from 09381344 to 12216125 (any particular reason for 12216125...?)...?

6125 is from an 02 Yukon so that's why I picked it. But it doesn't seem to like it. Is the wiring different or something? Is there a different os I can upgrade to in order to get lean cruise set up?

Taz
January 2nd, 2014, 04:35 AM
6125 is from an 02 Yukon so that's why I picked it. But it doesn't seem to like it. Is the wiring different or something? Is there a different os I can upgrade to in order to get lean cruise set up?

2002 OS12216125 was used with both DBC and DBW trucks - depending on if the original truck came equipped with traction control.

If you have flashed a DBW version of this calibration into a vehicle that is DBC - then you will experience some issues.

Regarding Lean Cruise - there is a *.cax file available for this OS - but it is NOT advisable to try this until you have your tune spot on, with no issues.

windydrew
January 2nd, 2014, 04:59 AM
I agree, I won't try to set up lean cruise until I get this 02 tune running like it should be.

Regarding the 02 tune, is there a different one that only runs DBC? It does seem like that's the issue because the foot pedal doesn't do anything but bog the engine with that tune.

Taz
January 2nd, 2014, 05:29 AM
The tunes you attached to post #1 .... one is DBC, the other is DBW .... this mismatch will be part of your current issue.

windydrew
January 2nd, 2014, 05:49 AM
Could I use an express van tune then or how do I get a DBC tune?

Taz
January 2nd, 2014, 06:07 AM
Could I use an express van tune then or how do I get a DBC tune?

Did you read post #5 ?

Express vans were equipped with a 5.7L Vortec (Gen I) engines. The assumption in this thread is that you are working with an LSx engine (4.8, 5.3, 6.0, etc.).

The OS you have selected was offered in DBC configurations - just not in the tune you posted.

You seem a little confused ... perhaps answering the following questions would help the Forum members in assisting you.

What engine / transmission / vehicle are you working with ?

What are you attempting to accomplish or change ?

windydrew
January 2nd, 2014, 06:17 AM
2000 Yukon XL 4wd 5.3l automatic

I want to upgrade the os so I can implement lc and other fuel saving methods in the pcm, which I believe is only possible on 2001 and newer versions. Thanks

picnic_george
January 2nd, 2014, 06:18 AM
By the .tun he posted he's got a 2000 4wd 5.3 yukon and wants lean cruise, looks like he flashed an 02 12216125 DBW cal which isn't working properly(as expected).

windydrew
January 2nd, 2014, 06:36 AM
By the .tun he posted he's got a 2000 4wd 5.3 yukon and wants lean cruise, looks like he flashed an 02 12216125 DBW cal which isn't working properly(as expected).

Exactly right, so what do I need to do in the tune to change to DBC? Is it as easy as changing parameters or do I need to swap segments?

picnic_george
January 2nd, 2014, 07:07 AM
On my buddies car all the IAC values(and probably other values) were already inserted all we did was click the Y/N option IIRC for DBW and it worked just fine. This was a different PCM with some random azz cal we found online though so who knows what it was lol
I do have a 2000 tahoe and I've been meaning to do the exact same thing since I have a lisenced pcm sitting in a drawer in my garage but I've been lazy lol
You may find a 2002 tahoe/yukon cal that is already set up for DBC since Taz stated they came both ways. Friend has an 02 Yuk 5.3 and I'm pretty sure it's DBC I'll have to find out :shrug:

But anyways I would definitely try turning off DBW and see what happens.

ScarabEpic22
January 2nd, 2014, 11:51 AM
Switch to OS 12212156 and pick a tune that has DBC. I dont know exactly which table/params make it easy to identify a DBC vs DBW tune offhand.

Look at TuneFileDepot, there are tons of 12212156 files. Pick one from a Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, or Yukon that uses a V8 and DBC.

picnic_george
January 2nd, 2014, 01:55 PM
That yukon was a DBC, didn't do anything to the tune other than change the serial # on the vin. But here you go, hope this helps OS 12212156 :).

windydrew
January 2nd, 2014, 02:56 PM
That yukon was a DBC, didn't do anything to the tune other than change the serial # on the vin. But here you go, hope this helps OS 12212156 :).

OMG Man! That is awesome. Worked the first time, no changes needed! Thanks a million. I got the lean cruise enabled now so Ill let you guys know what kind of mileage I get for work tomorrow.

joecar
January 2nd, 2014, 07:06 PM
Summary for anyone reading along:

for 512K LS1B when possible, choose a 12212156 file with matching throttle (DBC or DBW) and matching transmission (4L60E or 4L80E).

windydrew
January 3rd, 2014, 02:10 AM
Summary for anyone reading along:

for 512K LS1B when possible, choose a 12212156 file with matching throttle (DBC or DBW) and matching transmission (4L60E or 4L80E).

Are there any indicators in the tune that we can easily identify whether it's a DBC or DBW and 4l60 or 80? That way we can reference this in the future.

picnic_george
January 3rd, 2014, 03:46 AM
OMG Man! That is awesome. Worked the first time, no changes needed! Thanks a million. I got the lean cruise enabled now so Ill let you guys know what kind of mileage I get for work tomorrow.No problem, good luck. Hope it turns out well, let us know :cheers:

Are there any indicators in the tune that we can easily identify whether it's a DBC or DBW and 4l60 or 80? That way we can reference this in the future.If I was at my laptop to look I could tell you where. Under vin or permissions or whatever it will say what transmission. I can't remember where but it tells you what type of throttle it has, says f-bofy, y-body etc and shows tb(under system or something like that).

joecar
January 3rd, 2014, 09:22 PM
In the transmission segment there is a table for the gear ratios:
- 3.06, 1.63, 1.00, 0.70 -> indicates 4L60E,
- 2.48, 1.48, 1.00, 0.75 -> indicates 4L80E.

Shift pressure tables: if these have an immediate sharp jump up to max pressure, then it's probably a manual transmission,

In the System segment look at G1206 and G1207 to see indication of DBW (what picnic_george said).

picnic_george
January 7th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Any mileage increases?

windydrew
January 7th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I have actually seen it drop slightly but I'm trying to get the original tune parameters put back on because it gets less with or without lean cruise on. Maybe the 00 tune is more conservative or something. How do I get the original tune parameters put in since it won't let me compare different os tunes?

picnic_george
January 7th, 2014, 10:47 AM
The only way I know how to do it is by manually checking them all. I think the first things to look at would be your VE, IFR, and spark tables. But there are probably other tables that are considerably different including multipliers. I wish they had a way to compare different OS' :(

windydrew
January 7th, 2014, 10:55 AM
That's what I feared. I made an attempt at that but gave up. Guess I'll have to try again....

windydrew
January 13th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Well, I put the original parameters on the lean cruise tune and the mileage went up. Then I modified the lean cruise numbers slightly higher and I lost even more mileage. It seems leaner makes mileage worse on these engines. Maybe if I had wideband hooked up I could hone it in. I have 2 lc1 wb kits I was going to put on my s10 but it seems one will be enough since I won't be able to squeeze too much out of it based on these results.

ScarabEpic22
January 14th, 2014, 06:28 AM
I wouldnt be touching LC without a wideband...surefire way to pop an engine. You have no idea what Lambda/AFR you're actually running.

Get a WBO2 and start tuning, realistically LC should be the LAST thing you enable AFTER tuning the VE/MAF and Spark.

windydrew
January 14th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Lc is just low load conditions so I doubt I'll blow it by making minor adjustments. I'm only straying 10% of the Holden numbers so I'm sure it's ok, but I will be getting the wideband hooked up so that I can get the ve table tuned since I'm seeing very different figures between the 00 tune and the 02 one. I'd like to get a handle on it soon. Thanks

macca_779
January 14th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Lc is just low load conditions so I doubt I'll blow it by making minor adjustments. I'm only straying 10% of the Holden numbers so I'm sure it's ok, but I will be getting the wideband hooked up so that I can get the ve table tuned since I'm seeing very different figures between the 00 tune and the 02 one. I'd like to get a handle on it soon. Thanks

1.05 Lambda is about the sweet spot. You can go leaner but there is little gain

Efefz
May 7th, 2018, 02:30 AM
I expected it would give a better gain