PDA

View Full Version : Upshift to 2nd gear when in maual 1st-4L80E

mysunnshine
January 4th, 2014, 04:30 AM
Is this table still hidden in the 1mb PCM's? I have a 4L80E in my Jeep now and I really need to find a solution to keep it from upshifting but not go to a full manual valve body for drivability. :bash:

Taz
January 4th, 2014, 05:22 AM
Deleted my original comments, and sent you a PM instead.

hog
January 4th, 2014, 06:07 AM
There are shift kits which allow you to hold 1st gear to any rpm, and when you place the shifter in 3rd or OD the trans will shift as stock fully automatically.

You dont have to go to a full manual kit.

peace
Hog

Taz
January 4th, 2014, 06:32 AM
I generally use TransGo kits ... so I can speak to these ....

TransGo's original 4L80 kits (4L80-HD-2) would allow 1st gear to be held via the shifter - however, this approach often caused DTCs to be set - as the PCM was often commanding a shift to 2nd gear (when mechanically locked in 1st gear by the kit).

TransGo's current 4L80 kits no longer have this feature (unless you go with the full manual kit) ... they now recommend reprogramming the PCM to achieve this functionality.

hog
January 5th, 2014, 04:19 AM
That sucks, to bad they changed their kits, afew DTC's in nothing to fix, the 60e kits work great.

Does that require a cax file or are the 1-2 table present in EFILive?

Thanks for the info.

peace
Hog

Taz
January 5th, 2014, 05:08 AM
HPT has the required tables for the 2001 and 2002 model year 512Kb PCMs - but that's it.

From a business standing point it does not make much sense for the software companies to invest more R&D resources in an obsolete controller - especially when people are demanding support for all of the newer controllers released in the last few years.

About two years ago I decided to do the ground work to take my business to the next level. Several thousand R&D hours later, I now have a number of specialty offerings - including this 4L80 patch for all LS1-B OSs. I have contributed freely to this Forum over the years, but cannot give away these specialty offerings as they form part of my business revenue, and I have to at least recoup the associated R&D costs.

IJ.
January 5th, 2014, 10:35 AM
HPT has the required tables for the 2001 and 2002 model year 512Kb PCMs - but that's it.

From a business standing point it does not make much sense for the software companies to invest more R&D resources in an obsolete controller - especially when people are demanding support for all of the newer controllers released in the last few years.

About two years ago I decided to do the ground work to take my business to the next level. Several thousand R&D hours later, I now have a number of specialty offerings - including this 4L80 patch for all LS1-B OSs. I have contributed freely to this Forum over the years, but cannot give away these specialty offerings as they form part of my business revenue, and I have to at least recoup the associated R&D costs.

I see 0 issue with this Taz and thanks for all the help you give here, it's guys like you that make Forums "work" :)!

ScarabEpic22
January 5th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I see 0 issue with this Taz and thanks for all the help you give here, it's guys like you that make Forums "work" :)!

I concur, Taz and joecar have helped me out more than a few times! And Ive been around for a year or two myself! :D

joecar
January 6th, 2014, 09:10 AM
I don't have any problem with what Taz said.

mysunnshine
January 6th, 2014, 11:02 AM
I don't have any problem with what Taz said.

Me neither.....PM sent

hog
January 6th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Here is the PERFECT solution for us guys who want to run a 4l60e/65e/70e as well as the heavier 4l80e/85e without a TCM/PCM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbWf_QsPrw

It works. that's for sure.

peace
Hog

IJ.
January 6th, 2014, 12:44 PM
ohhh my....

hog
January 6th, 2014, 01:14 PM
1. HPT has the required tables for the 2001 and 2002 model year 512Kb PCMs - but that's it.

1)I have never played with HPTuners, surpriing to hear that the manually selecyed 1st gear upshift tables are available, even if for only 2 years.

2) Yes, I can see larger companies not offering support, the smaller company will add stuff to their software if you call them.

3) I can understand not wanting to "give away" intellectual property, I hope that I wasnt causing you to think that you SHOULD include your work because that was not intended whatsoever.

Yourself and others are a very helpful members here,

peace
Hog

joecar
January 6th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Here is the PERFECT solution for us guys who want to run a 4l60e/65e/70e as well as the heavier 4l80e/85e without a TCM/PCM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbWf_QsPrw

It works. that's for sure.

peace
HogCool :cheers:

I just have to remember to flick the switch(es) in time for each upshift (and to avoid redlining on downshifts).

wrenchman
February 6th, 2014, 11:10 AM
tdmkr

1-2 forced up shift is a mechanical function within the transmission it is there to protect the engine from over speed condition that could damage it, like going down hill in an over weight vehicle in first manual selector position where your low roller over run clutch is not allowed to overrun due to the rear band being applied sending power up through the trans to the converter spinning the engine. depending on the application this threshold may be modified.

also your Pressure control solenoid sounds good from the readings you presented. At idle pressure control solenoid should receive max PWM amps of 1.1 driving the PC sol to max on duty cycle driving the line pressure down to anywhere between 27- 35 psi. At Max TPS PWM amps will be driven to .1 this will make the pc sol duty cycle more off raising line pressure any where between 170-190 psi. any pressure above 190 psi to 325 or so is also a mechanical function of the transmission. I know the amps and duty cycle seem backwards but its is made that way to also protect the transmission, if the power were to be lost to the transmission or the tcm, in your case pcm. line pressure would go to max to protect the clutch pacs from slipping and burning them out.

if you pm me i can help you out with a lot of theory of operation for the 4l80e trans, it might help you save some cash. and with more cash we can afford to by more toys from guys like taz and others!!!

Taz
February 6th, 2014, 11:24 AM
...1-2 forced up shift is a mechanical function within the transmission ...

It is nice of you to offer your assistance ... many eyes sometimes lead to a novel solution ... however the above point is not correct. The 1>2 shift is 100% under PCM control ... with tuning alone the 4L80 can be made to hold 1st gear until the driver elects to upshift.

agent_orange_shuvel
July 23rd, 2015, 10:12 AM
I still have interest in this solution for the 4L80E. Taz, if you see this I am willing to deal with you directly I just wasn't able to PM you because my account is new. Thanks for any and all replies!

codeman_tinck@hotmail.com
December 17th, 2015, 07:30 AM
I have been contacting efilive and getting no solution I understand that they are busy but I need this manual first gear hold I have the upgraded os so my hpt buddy cant help I am also interested in your fix can you help Taz? I talked to a guy at efilive booth this past week and he suggested I use performance mode and max out the tables on a micro switch for d1 but I'd like to use that mode offroad

Taz
December 17th, 2015, 08:02 AM
I have been contacting efilive and getting no solution I understand that they are busy but I need this manual first gear hold I have the upgraded os so my hpt buddy cant help I am also interested in your fix can you help Taz? I talked to a guy at efilive booth this past week and he suggested I use performance mode and max out the tables on a micro switch for d1 but I'd like to use that mode offroad

I did a lot of R&D on the 4L80 1>2 shift issue (and the T42 zero TPS% TCC lockup issue) a number of years ago - when no tuning software had any of these parameters.

Since then HPT has added these parameters to many operating systems. I believe Tunercat has also added some of these parameters.

Given that I generally used to charge a nominal fee for this service, I could not fix your tune for free - it would not be fair.

You could flash your PCM back to the stock operating system - then have your friend with HPT take care of it - then upgrade to a COS again afterward. That would cost your friend 2 HPT credits ($100 USD).

There is a member on this Forum with Tunercat - and I believe he has added these parameters to his version of EFILive - perhaps he may offer to help you.

agent_orange_shuvel
December 17th, 2015, 10:55 AM
You could flash your PCM back to the stock operating system - then have your friend with HPT take care of it - then upgrade to a COS again afterward. That would cost your friend 2 HPT credits ($100 USD).

This is what I ended up doing. Works great, just took 40 mins worth of flashing/tuning to complete.

codeman_tinck@hotmail.com
December 17th, 2015, 11:30 AM
well than thats what I will do than . just baffles me that efilive cant figure this out

Taz
December 17th, 2015, 12:10 PM
well than thats what I will do than . just baffles me that efilive cant figure this out

It is not a matter of figuring it out - the staff at EFILive are all quite talented, one in particular is brilliant.

From a business standpoint it is not an effective use of resources to go back and add one or two parameters to an obsolete controller, when there are many new controllers requiring development time.

It has been almost a decade since the LS1-B PCM was used on multiple platforms. I started my tuning career working with those PCMs, but now they are the minority of the controllers that I work with on a daily basis.

Time marches on ...

5.7ute
December 17th, 2015, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=Taz;224867 the staff at EFILive are all quite talented, one in particular is brilliant.

[/QUOTE]

Love to be a fly on the wall at the Xmas party when they bring up this statement. lol.