PDA

View Full Version : NTK AFX Wiring and PID Advice Needed

12_Square
January 22nd, 2014, 09:10 AM
I know these subjects have been brought up a few times, but I’m getting information from all over the place, and it would be great if I could get up-to-date and accurate info from someone who has experience working with V2 and the NTK AFX wideband.

The AFX instruction manual says the brown wire MUST be connected to the same ground location as the two black wires, as close to the battery ground as possible for the most accurate and precise readings. I’ve extended the brown wire so that it can reach, as the manual says is okay to do. All I’m left with now is a yellow wire for A1 input?

(I've read elsewhere that the brown wire goes to the A1 ground location on the scanner. If so, what makes that safe to do when the manual states it should be grounded to the same spot as the black wires? Would it work either way?)

After everything’s hooked up and ready to go, if I want to use BBL, I set scanner to: automatically select ALL external analog PIDs? Which PIDs do I use in ScanTool?

I have the most recent versions of 7.5 and 8. What do I need to do to record my AFX readings in Lambda, or is that PID already in my software now?

joecar
January 22nd, 2014, 09:50 AM
If brown wire is signal ground, then yes it goes to FSV2 AD1- input.

Can you post the AFX user manual pdf...

12_Square
January 22nd, 2014, 09:54 AM
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/AFX_Tuning_Manual_REV_06.pdf

joecar
January 22nd, 2014, 09:55 AM
Using V8 S&T software, goto Devices, goto Logging, checkmark "Automatically select all external analog pids", click Save (save to file "Settings.dat", click Program (to V2), and then exit.

joecar
January 22nd, 2014, 09:59 AM
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/AFX_Tuning_Manual_REV_06.pdfYes, connect as follows:
- yellow directly to FSV2 AD1+ input,
- brown directly to FSV2 AD1- input.

To avoid ground loops, avoid connecting brown to chassis ground (or other grounds).

joecar
January 22nd, 2014, 10:01 AM
i.e. connect the brown wire (signal ground) directly to FSV2's AD1- input, and to nothing else.

12_Square
January 22nd, 2014, 01:59 PM
Okay, I hope to get it up and running tomorrow. I’ll have to remove the extension I added to that wire.

As far as logging PIDs goes, will CALC.AFR_NGK1 log what the AFX shows on its display? That’s pretty much all I want right now, except that I’d also like to have that logged as an EQ Ratio or Lambda instead.

joecar
January 22nd, 2014, 07:05 PM

As far as logging PIDs goes, will CALC.AFR_NGK1 log what the AFX shows on its display? That’s pretty much all I want right now, except that I’d also like to have that logged as an EQ Ratio or Lambda instead.Yes, CALC.AFR_NGK1.

See attached calc_pids.txt for eqr/lambda based WO2BEN pid.

12_Square
January 23rd, 2014, 03:49 AM
What would this do?

{EXT.AD1}*0.096+0.62

I'm hoping for a Lamda number from my wideband, in relation to nothing else.

mr.prick
January 23rd, 2014, 08:24 AM
{EXT.AD1}*0.096+0.62 = Lamda

joecar
January 23rd, 2014, 10:05 AM
+1 as mr.prick said...

AFR = V*1.4+9

lambda = AFR/14.57 = (V*1.4+9)/14.57 = V*0.096+0.62

(see page 12 of the AFX user manual pdf)

IJ.
January 23rd, 2014, 01:03 PM
Also check for a Voltage offset.

12_Square
January 23rd, 2014, 03:34 PM
Also check for a Voltage offset.

What all does that entail?

IJ.
January 23rd, 2014, 04:05 PM
You're using the AV out from the AFX it reads 0>5v and this is converted to AFR/Lambda in EFI Live, you need to measre what the AFX is spitting out and what's reported in the EFI Software, sometimes they don't match and can lead to months of frustration trying to nail down a tune based on incorrect data.

12_Square
January 23rd, 2014, 04:12 PM
Yeah I was anticipating that. Is there a way to adjust the data, or should I just compensate?

IJ.
January 23rd, 2014, 04:30 PM
Not sure exactly how it's done in EFI-Live, I'd expect you modify the formula Prick and Joe posted by the voltage offset, mine was .24v out so I was chasing my tail.