PDA

View Full Version : Lml bin file.

RADustin
January 29th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Looking for the raw binary file.

Has anyone seen one floating around or can efilive provide?

I don't think it can be stripped from the .tun file can it?

Thanks!

GMC-2002-Dmax
January 30th, 2014, 12:45 AM
If you were to get a raw bin file you would need expensive third party tools to edit, initial investment for basic editing of the BIN file would be $5k++.

There are several options, only a few formats can be imported into EFI-Live for final editing.

RADustin
January 30th, 2014, 01:52 AM
I don't need to worry about importing into efilive. I think I just need the addresses and map sizes/type of what I want. Then I can make a .cax and do any changes in efilive.

how does efilive handle the checksum calcs when files are changed via a .cax?

I feel its worth mentioning that I am NOT trying to defeat any of the exhaust system.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

GMC-2002-Dmax
January 30th, 2014, 02:13 AM
You still need an editor to view the maps and addresses.

Taz
January 30th, 2014, 02:19 AM
Sounds like you have never used / written a *.cax file before ... EFILive allows users to augment / personalize their tuning software via the *.cax file option.

This option is 100% "use at your own risk". I post this warning as from time to time the good folks at EFILive debate removing the the *.cax file option - due to users making an error, then wanting some form of support from EFILive.

If the *.cax file option is ever eliminated, it would seriously impact the specialty services that I offer. Even the *.cax file restrictions that came into place about a year ago caused me some issues.

If you have never worked in hex / binary before, then you are in for a big surprise. Cost effective binary / hex software will display the code, but will offer little insight beyond this. Expensive software can offer some assistance with interpreting the code.

This exercise is not for the uneducated nor inexperienced user. My early ventures into this brave new world cost me several controllers - the price of doing business as they say.

Regarding your checksum question ... as long as the changes are made using EFILive (including the use of a custom *.cax file), the checksums are updated accordingly. This does not mean that your *.cax file is correct, nor even that it changed what you intended it to change - so beware.

RADustin
January 30th, 2014, 02:51 AM
You still need an editor to view the maps and addresses.

thanks for the concern but I understand. I'm not going to rattle off programs on an efilive forum but with the binary I can do what I need to do.

Sounds like you have never used / written a *.cax file before ... EFILive allows users to augment / personalize their tuning software via the *.cax file option.

This option is 100% "use at your own risk". I post this warning as from time to time the good folks at EFILive debate removing the the *.cax file option - due to users making an error, then wanting some form of support from EFILive.

If the *.cax file option is ever eliminated, it would seriously impact the specialty services that I offer. Even the *.cax file restrictions that came into place about a year ago caused me some issues.

If you have never worked in hex / binary before, then you are in for a big surprise. Cost effective binary / hex software will display the code, but will offer little insight beyond this. Expensive software can offer some assistance with interpreting the code.

This exercise is not for the uneducated nor inexperienced user. My early ventures into this brave new world cost me several controllers - the price of doing business as they say.

Regarding your checksum question ... as long as the changes are made using EFILive (including the use of a custom *.cax file), the checksums are updated accordingly. This does not mean that your *.cax file is correct, nor even that it changed what you intended it to change - so beware.

thanks for your input. I figured as much with the checksums.

I have not written a .cax before. I do believe my interpretation of what the .cax will allow me to do is correct though. the specifics of implementing one can be ironed out in time I'm confident.

I'm trying to avoid getting on a soapbox but I scratched through the surface of debugging a crotch rocket ecu with a friend of mine who is very handy. We used a rom editor with a definition file(we wrote) to mod the bin and the chip's toolkit to flash the modded image. Luckily that platform didn't care about checksums. But anyways, I've bricked several controllers and I've learned from it. I've also made some good friends from around the world who have written their own software that works very well for interpreting structure and processes. You are correct, it is more work without spending the cash but never impossible. I am new to the lml and the diesel world in general but I hope this don't make you assume I am incompetent and unaware.

I am concerned with making changes that aren't what I want. For all my projects up to this point I have always worked with an engine sim and set break points. I don't see why I can't do that here if it comes to that.

Either way, I'm just looking for the raw ecu dump to save me efforts. It never hurts to ask. I appreciate the concerns.

Dmaxink
January 30th, 2014, 01:08 PM
thanks for the concern but I understand. I'm not going to rattle off programs on an efilive forum but with the binary I can do what I need to do.

thanks for your input. I figured as much with the checksums.

I have not written a .cax before. I do believe my interpretation of what the .cax will allow me to do is correct though. the specifics of implementing one can be ironed out in time I'm confident.

I'm trying to avoid getting on a soapbox but I scratched through the surface of debugging a crotch rocket ecu with a friend of mine who is very handy. We used a rom editor with a definition file(we wrote) to mod the bin and the chip's toolkit to flash the modded image. Luckily that platform didn't care about checksums. But anyways, I've bricked several controllers and I've learned from it. I've also made some good friends from around the world who have written their own software that works very well for interpreting structure and processes. You are correct, it is more work without spending the cash but never impossible. I am new to the lml and the diesel world in general but I hope this don't make you assume I am incompetent and unaware.

I am concerned with making changes that aren't what I want. For all my projects up to this point I have always worked with an engine sim and set break points. I don't see why I can't do that here if it comes to that.

Either way, I'm just looking for the raw ecu dump to save me efforts. It never hurts to ask. I appreciate the concerns.

I don't foresee anyone on his forum supplying a raw .bin... And I know no one will supply addresses. LMLs are locked extremely tight. Also, you will need to know where all to modify the .bin to make it "fit" into efi.

Good luck man,
Kory

RADustin
January 30th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I don't foresee anyone on his forum supplying a raw .bin... And I know no one will supply addresses. LMLs are locked extremely tight. Also, you will need to know where all to modify the .bin to make it "fit" into efi.

Good luck man,
Kory
like I said. doesn't hurt to ask. never know when someone might want to take a chance on someone else furthering the knowledge base. I would have never got past milling a slot in the case to reveal the AUD port on my first ecu if I didn't take a chance on asking questions!

quoted from your sig, "The only stupid question is the one not asked..."

Dmaxink
January 30th, 2014, 01:47 PM
like I said. doesn't hurt to ask. never know when someone might want to take a chance on someone else furthering the knowledge base. I would have never got past milling a slot in the case to reveal the AUD port on my first ecu if I didn't take a chance on asking questions!

quoted from your sig, "The only stupid question is the one not asked..."

I totally agree... I have asked more questions to date than I have still gotten answers for! Lol

RADustin
January 30th, 2014, 02:08 PM
From the research I have done and what there is to read out there for lml specific I do understand you are the guy with probably the most answers...which usually just leads to more questions. funny how that works.

I'll start the hunt for an extra ecm. Low balling yards on ebay doesn't seem like it will work for this one.

GMC-2002-Dmax
January 30th, 2014, 10:01 PM
From the research I have done and what there is to read out there for lml specific I do understand you are the guy with probably the most answers...which usually just leads to more questions. funny how that works.

I'll start the hunt for an extra ecm. Low balling yards on ebay doesn't seem like it will work for this one.

E-Bay has them from time to time for between $175-$225 SHIPPED..........They are out there and they are not terribly expensive.

RADustin
January 31st, 2014, 01:21 AM
yep I'm going to watch ebay, car-part, and LKQ.

back when I was messing with the denso ecu's I was scoring them on ebay for $10-40...which was awesome because we burned up more than few just soldering wires to the board traces. Ended up using pogo pins on a bolt on daughter board. I think that is how the euro tuners are accessing the vw edc17s.

DURAtotheMAX
February 7th, 2014, 05:22 AM
Even brand new I think you can get them from Amazon for like $250

shay
February 7th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Hi
I someone have cal file for 2010-2014 LGH??

Thanks

poopsbrown
April 19th, 2014, 03:29 AM
So does anyone have any stock .bin files? I only need one. I have all 84 efilive files already, just need one stock .bin. Rather not have to buy a ktag knockoff for $200 and have to do it myself.
Just need one stock LML .bin

GMPX
April 19th, 2014, 09:28 AM
First post, childish user name saying you are going to buy a Ktag knock-off, yep, you'll get plenty of help.

Dmaxink
April 19th, 2014, 09:56 AM
First post, childish user name saying you are going to buy a Ktag knock-off, yep, you'll get plenty of help.

LMAO

Exactly, let me just hand over a .bin with my 12k tool.... Lol

Fwiw, 1.bin will do one no good.... It will take 84.

GMC-2002-Dmax
April 19th, 2014, 12:22 PM
LMAO

Exactly, let me just hand over a .bin with my 12k tool.... Lol

Fwiw, 1.bin will do one no good.... It will take 84.

That's a fact........LOL

poopsbrown
April 19th, 2014, 12:37 PM
I have the 84 files off of 4-shared. I even put them in one nice directory on my google drive if anyone needs them.

Just wondering if anyone has one lml truck file.

We cant discus euro clones? Pretty popular, they even sell it on aliexpress lol.
The euro tuners have been playing with the edc17 for years. Hardware is cheap,and also easy to disable the obd2 read block aka tprot.

Since EFI guys are here, do you know if the OBD2 readout is turned back on could efilive support all of the normal functions?

Everyone has there specialty. Some are good at finding tables and tuning professionally, and others are good at closing with and destroying the enemy.

. Meh.

I am not a pro hex-warrior and don't pretend to be. Just looking for some help before I spend more money on a tight budget.

poopsbrown
April 19th, 2014, 12:42 PM
And apparently you can BDM these, but I havent tried even though i have 3-4 different BDMs here. Need to find more information on this.

GMPX
April 20th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Since EFI guys are here, do you know if the OBD2 readout is turned back on could efilive support all of the normal functions?
Of course but the problem is the whole idea of wanting to read via OBD-II is so ALL users don't need to pull apart the ECM, solder wires etc.
Pulling an ECM apart and modifying it just so it can be read via OBD-II is kind of pointless IMHO. The 4-shared files for the EFILive guys gets the job done.

And discussing cheap Chinese clones of Euro tuning hardware is discouraged on here, why encourage the thieves and discourage true innovation.

poopsbrown
April 20th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Of course but the problem is the whole idea of wanting to read via OBD-II is so ALL users don't need to pull apart the ECM, solder wires etc.
Pulling an ECM apart and modifying it just so it can be read via OBD-II is kind of pointless IMHO. The 4-shared files for the EFILive guys gets the job done.

And discussing cheap Chinese clones of Euro tuning hardware is discouraged on here, why encourage the thieves and discourage true innovation.

I understand the point of view as far as a solution to all, and time/money spent vs return on investment.

Clones..
Thats fine. I honestly found the ktag clones first, and really only found them. They are along with the galleto much more popular than the oem hardware. Seems like a large number of tuning shops use 'name brand' clones and they have a good following. I understand and will try not to bring it up again.

I will just dump the raw bins as I get them on a nice zip/rar on all the popular torrent trackers and forums. Maybe a free readout service so people can do their own experimentation and they dont have to tow the party line.
We shall see. Plenty of other projects ahead before I can mess with this. I dont even own a duramax!

Dmaxink
April 20th, 2014, 10:45 AM
I understand the point of view as far as a solution to all, and time/money spent vs return on investment.

Clones..
Thats fine. I honestly found the ktag clones first, and really only found them. They are along with the galleto much more popular than the oem hardware. Seems like a large number of tuning shops use 'name brand' clones and they have a good following. I understand and will try not to bring it up again.

I will just dump the raw bins as I get them on a nice zip/rar on all the popular torrent trackers and forums. Maybe a free readout service so people can do their own experimentation and they dont have to tow the party line.
We shall see. Plenty of other projects ahead before I can mess with this. I dont even own a duramax!

I free readout service would save me tons of time. Let me know when you get it started!

Lmao

GMC-2002-Dmax
April 20th, 2014, 11:14 AM

Clones..

The bins are worthless to 99% of the public, unless you can disassemble and or decompile the code, and find everything it does you no good.

Editing in HEX compared to EFI-Live's Tune Editor is comparable to using a shovel to dig a big hole vs. an excavator, you can still dig the hole but one will take you months instead of minutes.

I free readout service would save me tons of time. Let me know when you get it started!

Lmao

I could of saved a ton on that myself

poopsbrown
April 20th, 2014, 05:33 PM

Lmao

Being first isn't easy or cheap I guess.

Glad I dont have to worry about coming in last, just need to finish.

GMPX
April 21st, 2014, 10:13 AM
Mr poop, what you need to realise is many of the people on this forum have moved beyond the cheap or free cobbled up tuning solutions. They are willing to invest in products that are reliable, have on-going support and will enable them to make a profit and keep the innovators (not the copycats) in business. China can't clone what doesn't exist!
Encouraging the copycat cloners in China just increases the bottom feeders of this industry, one day when you expand beyond what you are doing now to running a professional workshop you might understand where we are all coming from. I am not talking about only EFILive here, the guys above have invested a lot of money in genuine Euro tuning suites for the Bosch ECM's. I feel sorry for those Euro companies, I fully appreciate the hard work they go through to tune the many Bosch ECM types only to see that hard work appear on Ebay for 1/20th the retail cost out of China.

Mr Poop this is a warning, if you continue to talk about cloned hardware, wanting open bin files for your own hacking or other products that essentially have zero to do with EFILive you will be banned, there is plenty of other places on the internet you can do that.

Dmaxink
April 22nd, 2014, 02:34 PM
Mr. Poop... We need a 2013 cummins .bin when you get the chance....

GMC-2002-Dmax
April 22nd, 2014, 03:13 PM
Is there only one ? Or can we get them all.............LOL

poopsbrown
May 16th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Roger, no clone talk. TO clarify, we cant talk about factory non encrypted bin files? They are not encrypted from the factory so I dont see why I cant share it. Well I will wait for an answer on that, but just a screenshot for now.

Really simple once I made my own hardware.

GMC-2002-Dmax
May 16th, 2014, 10:56 AM
175 miles until 65mph limited, See Owners Manual, Service Emissions System, Cleaning Exhaust Filter, Keep Driving.

This is your future...............GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Buy some Tylenol or a big bottle of Vodka, your gonna need it.

LOL

poopsbrown
May 16th, 2014, 11:27 AM
175 miles until 65mph limited, See Owners Manual, Service Emissions System, Cleaning Exhaust Filter, Keep Driving.

This is your future...............GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Buy some Tylenol or a big bottle of Vodka, your gonna need it.

LOL

Military docs hands out motrin by the pound.
AM I on the right path?
I dont even tune or care for Duramax's lol. This is the funniest part. My friend owns a mine in ecuador and getting urea is a PITA. Just trying to help a brother out.

poopsbrown
May 16th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Mr. Poop... We need a 2013 cummins .bin when you get the chance....

Arent they using the ISX style ECM? Been playing with those for years. Nothing like a little fun with Calterm.
Does efilive support read/write on those? Have not had the need yet. I was dealing with MD/HD applications.

GMC-2002-Dmax
May 16th, 2014, 12:00 PM
If you tried to open an EFI-LIve .CTZ file with a binary or hex editor the .CTZ file is encrypted.

So if that is what you are looking at in HEX on your screen it will most likely not do you any good.

poopsbrown
May 16th, 2014, 04:57 PM
If you tried to open an EFI-LIve .CTZ file with a binary or hex editor the .CTZ file is encrypted.

So if that is what you are looking at in HEX on your screen it will most likely not do you any good.

Yes ctz/tun is encrypted/compressed. This bin is not.

GMPX
May 18th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Nobody cares Josh, people on here don't have time to mess around with bin files to maybe save a few bucks, there is plenty of tuner forums you can sprout your achievements to.

poopsbrown
May 18th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Nobody cares Josh, people on here don't have time to mess around with bin files to maybe save a few bucks, there is plenty of tuner forums you can sprout your achievements to.

I am not trying to save money. I am trying to delete emissions off of 3 LML based trucks in Ecuador. No one wants to share, especially those who are making money off of it. Thats fine. I have ZERO ego. I am looking for advice from those that have been there done that. Please dont misunderstand my intentions

GMPX
May 18th, 2014, 03:30 PM
No one wants to share, especially those who are making money off of it.
So you understand the reasons why nobody is helping. Many on here run a business and pay bills through their tuning.
If they want to do a DPF delete in Ecuador then pay someone to give you (or them) a file with it done, last I checked most mining companies make squillions of dollars. I understand it might be a favour you've promised someone but really it seems silly that the down time these trucks have with urea issues could be solved by the mining company just paying a tuner who can do it.

RADustin
May 30th, 2014, 06:22 AM
I actually do care. Hex knowledge/ecu structure is fascinating and something I mess with in my free time as a mere hobby.

Not everyone is out there trying to scrape a dollar and hustle. Some people are really only in it for the knowledge.

Dmaxink
May 30th, 2014, 06:25 AM
I actually do care. Hex knowledge/ecu structure is fascinating and something I mess with in my free time as a mere hobby.

Not everyone is out there trying to scrape a dollar and hustle. Some people are really only in it for the knowledge.

It is awesome stuff for sure. Type "chiptuning" into google. You will find tons of sites that speak on how to play in the matrix.

Understand, this is EFILIVE... This site merely will give anything too useful for folks to learn binary on as it (EFI) is a flash tool with "map packs" so to speak.

RADustin
May 30th, 2014, 06:43 AM
understood 100%.

Contrary to belief I know quite a bit about chip tuning and chip level communication....but to quote poops-

"I am looking for advice from those that have been there done that. Please dont misunderstand my intentions"

If I can gain the knowledge without fighting the same battle countless others have, why would I not ask to see what is out there?

As far as him posting some kind of achievement, I have seen many posted screen shots from guys who are friends with EFILive. I can't blame him for posting here, it just so happens all you know-it-alls for the LML- EDC17-CP18 platform hang out here. I wouldn't go to a vegetarian forum to ask about slaughtering beef.

but I digress. Back to my perch I go.

GMPX
June 1st, 2014, 11:23 AM
There is two sides to this, if you want to start at the bottom and learn all there is about the Bosch ECM's there is other forums that do that, but on here is people trying to make a living from tuning, why would they give it all away? No different to any other industry.