PDA

View Full Version : 04 Colorados V8 E67 6l80 and t56

blindawg
January 30th, 2014, 06:39 AM
My truck:
White 04 base model colorado. 4 banger. Old Napa Parts delivery truck

Plans: turn my gen III LM7 into a gen IV in order to run an E67 for the 6l80 and maintain factory gauge functions. I will go to an actual gen IV motor for DOD and VVT in a few months, but this will be a nice learning experience for me with the LM7 swap.

Buddies truck:
Red 04 base model colorado i5. Old delivery truck for somewhere.
Currently has gen III 5.3 LM7 with LS1B PCM stand alone and t56

Plans: put in an LY6 6.0 and run an E67 to maintain factory gauge functions. T56 will be reused.

We we know all the parts, and wiring we should need, but we are just needing some confirmation that it will work, as far as gauges and trans.
Planning on running 2010 colorado OS in mine so I can do E85 and will have odd and VVT in the future. (I just won't have that motor until June) That OS should communicate with the gauges via Class 2, correct?
Any colorado OS should communicate via Class 2, right?

Also, this won't be a project build thread, I'm assuming I will need some tuning assistance with mine. Not sure who he wants to tune his. I just need your guy's help to assure we are even going in the right direction with these OS'

Thanks in advance!
Branden

04colyZQ8
September 20th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Buddies truck must be Karlen's truck?

400ss
September 21st, 2014, 06:50 AM
Have you confirmed that the gauges will work?? right now i have a 05 colorado, swaped a camaro ZL1 engine,trans, i used the camaro ecm (E67) modified the camaro harness and used camaro fuel pump and fuel pump control module,, only left is to make the gauges work, it looks like the gauges have 2 class 2 inputs,, so you are saying the ZL1 E67 should work with the colorados gauges?? do you know wich pin is the CLASS 2 on the ZL1 E67, and do you know if i have to activate it or something like that? cause Zl1 only uses CAN BUSS

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 07:04 AM
You will not be able to activate the serial data on the can bus system, at least its never worked for me, even setting all the speedo out signal etc.. to serial data, they gauges still fail two work. The ABS will also fail to work, as its on the serial data bus as well, and needs to talk to the pcm. You probably have to switch to a different OS that has serial data already. I'll send you a PM.

400ss
September 21st, 2014, 08:05 AM
thank you a lot

blindawg
September 21st, 2014, 08:25 AM
Nooooooooo! please discuss it here! If ya'll don't mind, that is?

Yes, the Buddy is Karlen. He never ended up buying that motor from me. My truck is close to getting the swap started so I'm still needing this info. :)

He is still using the LM7, and LS1B PCM as a stand alone sysytem. His Tach and Temp gauge worked, But his Speedo and gas gauge didn't work. So I figured if we powered up the factory colorado ECM and gave it Speed sensor input, and Fuel Level Sensor input, it would then send the needed information to the gauges via the CAN BUSS. Fuel gauge worked as soon as we plugged the blue plug in to the ECM. (He never messed with it during his swap. only unplugged it and set it to the side.) So then we gave C3 (Grey Connector) a ground and tied Pin 44 and 45 in with Pin 20 and 21 (respectively) of C2 on the LS1B PCM. Figured that would make everything happy. Nope. It made the ABS light come on, and the speedo never worked. Any ideas as to where to go with this now?

Thanks,
Branden

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I have told Karlen I can prob get his gauges to work, I even sent him a hacked file to try and flash to the LS1B PCM. That might get the gauges to work. But he didn't try it?

You most likely cannot have two pcms, on the serial data bus, its not Can bus, its GM serial data. You will have all sorts of errors doing that! You can disconnect the LS1B PCM, and use the P12 for gauges only, you will need to wire the abs to the P12, as well. And you will need the old I5 crank reluctor welded to the balancer, with a crank sensor, for the tach to work.

Or you could just reflash the LS1B PCM with the hacked file and see if that works. You'd need to move the sending unit ground and wire over to it as well.

also any ABS code will need to be cleared with a tech 2, or Actran abs scanner, MT2500, etc.. they are latching codes, ounce, set they will not clear, even after disconnecting the battery

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 08:49 AM
Well I do sell harnesses and hacked PCM programming for these trucks, so I don't want to discuses everything out in the open, I help were I can, not trying to be rude. The original hacked file I sent was from cal-editor, he did it free of charge, and deserves the credit if that works! I have since cracked the E40, and do a lot of hex editing myself, so I maybe also be able to help, if that file doesn't work, or he may help change it as well.

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 08:51 AM
As for your truck I'll send you a PM a well, I don't mind helping the odd guy out, but if its all up hear in plain sight, then my competition might steel the info.

blindawg
September 21st, 2014, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I have told Karlen I can prob get his gauges to work, I even sent him a hacked file to try and flash to the LS1B PCM. That might get the gauges to work. But he didn't try it?

You most likely cannot have two pcms, on the serial data bus, its not Can bus, its GM serial data. You will have all sorts of errors doing that! You can disconnect the LS1B PCM, and use the P12 for gauges only, you will need to wire the abs to the P12, as well. And you will need the old I5 crank reluctor welded to the balancer, with a crank sensor, for the tach to work.

Or you could just reflash the LS1B PCM with the hacked file and see if that works. You'd need to move the sending unit ground and wire over to it as well.

also any ABS code will need to be cleared with a tech 2, or Actran abs scanner, MT2500, etc.. they are latching codes, ounce, set they will not clear, even after disconnecting the battery

Oh, well he never said anything to me about it, and he says he doesn't remember getting it. :ermm: But I appreciate you being willing to send it my way. :)

Why cant both the P12 and LS1B be on the same Serial bus? Isn't it the same language? I would think that they would just fill in the gaps, like Finish each other's sentences? Or are they instead talking over one another?
The errors that show up on the DIC are Traction control, ABS, and there was one other that I can't remember off hand. We never checked the DTCs though.

Thanks,
Branden

blindawg
September 21st, 2014, 09:09 AM
Also, we had the ABS light on, then off, then on, then off, and then it came on and stayed on. The only thing we changed to make it turn on and off was hook up the P12 VSS Hi and Low to the LS1B VSS Hi and Low. Does that say anything to ya?

Branden

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 09:12 AM
You can try it, but you will get reduced power if the P12 thinks there is a tach? And no pedal or TB. The cluster/bcm doesn't know what to do? Its getting two signals from the PCMs, but you never know..maybe it will work, I just think they will conflict? traction control? That's wired? Hid P09, or P12, or BCM shouldn't have traction control?

blindawg
September 21st, 2014, 09:13 AM
I guess I can't say Traction control. It said "Traction" so I am only assuming it meant Traction Control

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 09:14 AM
Yeah the ABS speed signal is going from the LS1B two the abs, so if you removed the V.S.S from the LS1B then you would get no speed to the ABS. You should move the abs speed from the LSB to the P12.

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 09:15 AM
I suggested that Karlen check that the sender wire from the sending unit went to the LS1B, as the gas gauge should work on the LSB1, only the speedo shouldn't work... so at least that one finally makes sense!

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 09:18 AM
Yeah I emailed him the HTP file that was hacked, said it shouldn't ask you to licence it, but you will have to install the custom OS he has, and copy paste all his tables from the existing tune into the one I send, the write with his buddies HPT. Are you the buddy that has HPT? He said it was to much of a pain to drive to his friends and use HPT, kinda sucked since I spent so much time getting the file hacked on his be half, and then was saddened to not even see if it worked?

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 09:19 AM
I'll gladly send it too you

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 09:20 AM
in his defense he didn't ask me to do it for him, not upset with him, just disappointed to not see it follow through. Last I heard he was gonna go 58x and E67??

blindawg
September 21st, 2014, 09:25 AM
As far as I know, the LS1B isn't sending anything to the ABS. Even if it was, what I have done shouldn't have affected it. I only spliced into the speed sensor signal. I didn't remove it from the LS1B. So both computers should be getting the same signal. I know the speed sensor output is different from the 4l60 to the T56, but that should only mean the speedo would be incorrect, instead of unresponsive.

I'm assuming he never had the fuel Level signal going to the LS1B. I haven't messed with his wiring except for what I just did this past weekend, So I don't have a clue what all they hooked up/didn't hook up.

Nope. I only use EFILive. I'm not sure who he was using for HPT. It saddens me as well, knowing that effort was seemingly wasted. Hopefully we can put it to use now thought!
I'm not sure what his plans are for the 58x and E67.

Thanks,
Branden

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 09:46 AM
Correction on my part P01, not P09. Yeah the speedo doesn't work, because the speed signal is sent out via hard wire to the cluster on that application, it needs to go via class 2 GM data bus, a Booleen in the code, and a few other things were changed in attempt to get the speedo to work.

blindawg
September 21st, 2014, 09:52 AM
Right, Which is why I figured that the P12 would do the trick if we gave it the signals the LS1B wouldn't output over Serial Bus. Does the cluster recieve info for the fuel gauge via serial bus? If so, why does it work now with the P12 active on the same bus?

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 09:59 AM
Yes the fuel gauge should work, with either pcm, it sends it out via serial data, on either one. well probably because the LS1B says zero fuel, cause the sender isn't hooked up. This issue maybe the temp gauge it works? even though its reading nothing from one pcm, and something from the other pcm? That's were a conflict may occur, two signals are being sent for the temp gauge, odometer?, and various idot lights. which one does the BCM/cluster abs no what to use? The abs gets torque and rpm from the engine, but does it see zero torque, plud zero rpm, or a mix??? it just seems like it could be a can of worms, watch that the odometer doesn't get random miles added.

blindawg
September 21st, 2014, 01:46 PM
Now that I am thinking about it.... the ABS light came on when I cut the VSS wires going to the LS1B thinking they were useless to have going to the LS1B.

Another thing now that I have pondered this, When he has his Bluetooth scantool hooked to it, you can see the speed on it. But ONLY when the LS1B is hooked to the VSS High and Low. Soooooo..... its saying something over serial data. Why doesn't the speedo listen? I'll try the file you sent me, but it doesn't make sense to me that its giving speed signal, but not showing any on the gauge.

Branden