PDA

View Full Version : cant get custom PID to show up...what am I missing?

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 1st, 2014, 06:00 AM
this custom PID system is so painful to use....

what am I missing here in this....

Doesnt show up in my scanner anywhere..

Trying to make a custom PID to do Long Term Fuel Trims and Short Term Fuel Trims combined...basically...TOTAL Fuel Trims

# ================================================== ============================
# Add slot definitions here
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on "SLOT" formats
#
#Units Low High Fmt Expression
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------

*CLC-00-002
% -100 100 .1 "(({SAE.LONGFT1}+{SAE.LONGFT2})/2)+(({SAE.SHRTFT1}+{SAE.SHRTFT2})/2)"

# ================================================== ============================
*PRN - Parameter Reference Numbers
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *PRN section
#
#Code PRN SLOT Units System Description
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------

CALC.TRIMS F002 CLC-00-002 "%" None "Fuel Trims "

EagleMark
February 1st, 2014, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure if your calc pid is built correctly? Take a look at others and you'll see if you missed a space or a symbol etc... they are not hard to work with. After I got all mine set I haven't changed them in a year...

But what your trying to do is not going to help in any way? LTFT are set by STFT... your combining the 2 is going to give a number that won't help at all with any tuning!

joecar
February 1st, 2014, 10:14 AM
Add at least 2 blank lines at the end of the calc_pids.txt file (after your very last line of text).

joecar
February 1st, 2014, 10:15 AM
Also, which folder are you placing the calc_pids.txt file...?

It goes here: My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 1st, 2014, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure if your calc pid is built correctly? Take a look at others and you'll see if you missed a space or a symbol etc... they are not hard to work with. After I got all mine set I haven't changed them in a year...

I have another PID working Just fine...
used the exact same template and just changed the values for a new PID with new Math.

But what your trying to do is not going to help in any way? LTFT are set by STFT... your combining the 2 is going to give a number that won't help at all with any tuning!

Actually, Tuning With LTFT + STFT is getting all the corrections instead of just the Long term ones
Fueling can swing quite far in Short term before the long term updates...
this guarantees that if my LTFT is only 4, but my Short term is swinging from 0~8... I get the average of the STFT being 4 as well...

This is the complete way to do fuel trims...you can accomplish a lot in a very short time because you have all the data instead of just Half the data
LTFT doesnt do you much good if your Short term is swinging +4 to +12 and not updating LTFT because it didnt meet all the criteria.

and.. I actually helped design somebody elses software..I have just never used EFI Live until just a few days ago...and I'm just trying to help a friend get his EFI stuff set up to make it easier for him as a new "self" tuner....

Add at least 2 blank lines at the end of the calc_pids.txt file (after your very last line of text).

I have about 6 blank lines

Also, which folder are you placing the calc_pids.txt file...?

It goes here: My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

yeah.. its in that folder..

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 1st, 2014, 11:13 AM
anybody else have any ideas on what I am missing or doing incorrectly that is causing EFI live to not Show my PID's?

joecar
February 1st, 2014, 11:45 AM
Post your calc_pids.txt file (as an attachment).

joecar
February 1st, 2014, 11:49 AM
this custom PID system is so painful to use....

what am I missing here in this....

Doesnt show up in my scanner anywhere..

Trying to make a custom PID to do Long Term Fuel Trims and Short Term Fuel Trims combined...basically...TOTAL Fuel Trims

On the PIDs tab:

- un-check "Supported",

- click on the column heading "Parameter", click on it again (now this column is sorted alphabetically/ascending), scroll down until you see CALC.TRIMS.

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 1st, 2014, 11:50 AM
here you go

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 1st, 2014, 11:53 AM
On the PIDs tab:

- un-check "Supported",

- click on the column heading "Parameter", click on it again (now this column is sorted alphabetically), scroll down until you see CALC.TRIMS.

I've already searched thru every possible column...and every possible section...
Purposely put its "system" as None so I could fine it easier...if it would show up.
the Boost PID in this file shows up just fine.

joecar
February 1st, 2014, 11:54 AM
You file is missing the whole preamble stuff...

joecar
February 1st, 2014, 11:56 AM
You can't just tack on CLC/PRN definitions on the end of the file, you have to place them in their respective sections of the file...

hold on a sec...

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 1st, 2014, 12:02 PM
LOL... well... I am working on somebody elses machine...
so no telling what they have done to it before I tried to make stuff work...

joecar
February 1st, 2014, 12:02 PM
Try this (attached).

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 1st, 2014, 12:10 PM
that worked thank you...

so I see that I need to put all the Calculations in one section, and all the names/descriptions in the other section...

wasnt understanding that because I started with a file of his that was blank already...

Thank you very much.

joecar
February 1st, 2014, 12:11 PM
No worries.

EagleMark
February 1st, 2014, 12:27 PM
Actually, Tuning With LTFT + STFT is getting all the corrections instead of just the Long term ones
Fueling can swing quite far in Short term before the long term updates...
this guarantees that if my LTFT is only 4, but my Short term is swinging from 0~8... I get the average of the STFT being 4 as well...

This is the complete way to do fuel trims...you can accomplish a lot in a very short time because you have all the data instead of just Half the data
LTFT doesnt do you much good if your Short term is swinging +4 to +12 and not updating LTFT because it didnt meet all the criteria.

Glad you got the file working!

Thanks for the explanation, I understand how the fuel trims work but never thought of this method or ever heard anyone using it. Interesting!

I've seen guys chase their own tail after making corrections to VE from LTFT, then not clearing the trims and not waiting long enough for them to correct, this would be a cure if you have to tune with the NB sensor. Although disabling LTFT and using just the STFT is quicker, no waiting for LTFT...

I'll have to give it a shot one day. Thanks!

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 1st, 2014, 12:32 PM
Glad you got the file working!

Thanks for the explanation, I understand how the fuel trims work but never thought of this method or ever heard anyone using it. Interesting!

I've seen guys chase their own tail after making corrections to VE from LTFT, then not clearing the trims and not waiting long enough for them to correct, this would be a cure if you have to tune with the NB sensor. Although disabling LTFT and using just the STFT is quicker, no waiting for LTFT...

I'll have to give it a shot one day. Thanks!

no disabling needed with the LTFT+STFT method ;)

I also like to do some filtering based on AFR so that when you enter PE, you will fill cells in "Wideband BEN" as you guys call it, and when you are at Part throttle you fill cells in the Fuel Trims section...

EagleMark
February 1st, 2014, 12:42 PM
Definitely a worthy method to try! ;)

I filter lots of things besides PE, this is also a big time saver of chasing tail...

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 1st, 2014, 12:44 PM
my next task is to figure out how to set up filtering per table in EFI Live...
I know how to do it in some other software...

EagleMark
February 1st, 2014, 01:44 PM
When you open the Scan Tool and select or build your maps there is an Icon, looks like a hand holding an envelope and when hovered says Edit Filter Settings. Then build your filter.

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 1st, 2014, 01:44 PM
is it per map, or universal to all maps I make?

EagleMark
February 1st, 2014, 01:46 PM
Per map.

joecar
February 1st, 2014, 01:46 PM
Post #1 of this thread will contain some info regarding filtering (as an example): Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log) (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log))

joecar
February 1st, 2014, 01:50 PM
STFT are too volatile, you can end up constantly iterating because the the correction has moved... I'm happy to get the LTFT zeroed and let the STFT do it's thing.

EagleMark
February 3rd, 2014, 05:35 PM
STFT are too volatile, you can end up constantly iterating because the the correction has moved... I'm happy to get the LTFT zeroed and let the STFT do it's thing.When doing STFT only for fueling adjustments you need to enter the data in spreadsheet and average the cells. :anitoof:

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 3rd, 2014, 05:39 PM
they are only Volatile when you dont have enough data to begin with...
the more data you have, the more accurate things will be..

you cant just do a 5 minute quick spin and expect to get enough data from fuel trims...

I set them up so that you dont get any data unless you have a cell count of over 100.....
LTFT and STFT should only be used in a long data log....like a 30 minute drive or longer.
they need to be stable... not still learning..

its perfect for somebody datalogging to and from work...like my buddy will be doing...

joecar
February 5th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I'll take a closer look at them...

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 5th, 2014, 11:28 AM
When you open the Scan Tool and select or build your maps there is an Icon, looks like a hand holding an envelope and when hovered says Edit Filter Settings. Then build your filter.

Per map.

ok... so when I use the Filtering...it applies to all Map plots and not just the one I am on....
so that really doesnt work....
to me, that function us pretty much Useless in EFI live if I cant use it per map with different filtering on each map.

joecar
February 5th, 2014, 11:42 AM
The applied filter applies to the data in the current log (goto the Chart dash and see what happens as you apply/de-apply the filter).

As you view each map you apply or de-apply the filter.

joecar
February 5th, 2014, 11:43 AM
What are your requirements that you need to view different maps on the same logged data with or without the filter(s) applied...?

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 5th, 2014, 11:44 AM
The applied filter applies to the data in the current log (goto the Chart dash and see what happens as you apply/de-apply the filter).

As you view each map you apply or de-apply the filter.

that sucks.....
Software needs some serious revision on that part.....

way too time consuming to be applying and removing filters for each Map plotted.

Scotty-Do-Dah
February 5th, 2014, 11:49 AM
I can look at Part throttle Fueling MAF or VE, Knock Retard, WOT fueling, IAC and Running Air Flow stuff for idle...all in one log...all require different filtering...

no reason to have to do multiple logs when you can accomplish much of it all at once

joecar
February 5th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I usually do separate logs for MAF/VE, Fueling, Spark/Knock, Idle/RAFIG/RAFPN... the operating ranges and/or the characteristics of each group are different...

I'll ask about per-map filters.

Blacky
February 13th, 2014, 08:21 AM
that sucks.....
Software needs some serious revision on that part.....

way too time consuming to be applying and removing filters for each Map plotted.

The map filtering will be updated in the V8 software and it will include per map filtering. I don't have a release date yet for when the maps will be available in V8.

Regards
Paul

joecar
February 13th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Cool :cheers: Thanks