PDA

View Full Version : Explain this.....

DrX
April 13th, 2006, 06:01 AM
What is happening here? While cruising on a level road, in 4th gear, I can increase TP to 40-50% with no change in RPM or Vehicle Speed. The only result is increased MAP and a lean condition relative to commanded AFR. I can increase VE values in this range until they are sky high but it will still go lean under these conditions.

DrX
April 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Is there be so much load that acceleration is impossible in 4th at this RPM?

*2600 stall converter, TCC apply at 99.8 kph
blown 5.3

kbracing96
April 13th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Man, that log looks funny. You get way rich, a bunch of KR and no timing. I can see why it won't go any where, Its not making any power with those conditions. Need to figure out what is causing that KR and lean it out.

DrX
April 14th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Actually, it is showing lean with respect to commanded AFR at the cursor. Could be related to the knock. It is transitioning into boost so commanded AFR is set to drop to 11.8 by 105 kPa in B3647. Maybe the RPM is too low for 11.5??

Even tried filtering out the slower throttle transitions but AutoVE still gives me a spike in this part of the VE table. Always logs as lean and the following portion of the table is always rich-could be from the extra fuel being thrown at the lean area?? As I continue with the AutoVE I am now getting the same thing happening in the 4000-4800 RPM range- goes lean and the following section is rich. So now I have a VE table with two pairs of steep peaks and valleys! Obviously it can't be correct. It's like there is a ripple effect. If I could rev to 8000 RPM, I would probably get another peak/valley.

Even though the 5000 RPM range logs as rich I am hearing enough rattling to cause me to back off. Although there is no KR logged in this range??

I logged the narrow bands and they seem to agree with the wideband except that the bank 1 sensor spends most of its time down low. I replaced the sensor last week and it then seemed to behave the same as the bank 2 sensor. Now it is showing low mv readings again at criuse but the wideband shows that AFR is OK. The wideband is on bank 1.

eboggs_jkvl
April 14th, 2006, 06:07 AM
You're too slow to get acceleration in 4th. You're pulling all the timing with the detonation that is happening. Too much throttle/too slow a speed/too high a gear.

That's my take.

Elmer

DrX
April 14th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Timing is within 1* of stock for the given RPM/dyncylair cells. Shift points and TCC lockup were even lower in the stock Tow/Haul mode. That really wouldn't work out well for towing! I reworked the Tow/Haul into Haul Ass mode.

I'm guessing(but what do I know) that the RPMs are still too low for any enrichment even though I am getting into boost here(0-5psi) and I am drowning it, then overshooting on the following RPM range because of the excess fuel. Don't know where all that fuel is going because the wideband is logging lean??

I have reworked my B3647 table(COS3) to gradually increase enrichment as you go up in RPMs started from a reasonable RPM. The 105 kPa column had been set to 11.8 AFR for all RPM values. Seems like my AutoVE is working out better now. Still see a lean spot in the logs at the dyncylair burst though. Think I am going to just ignore those transitional cells in the VE table if the BEN keeps calling for more fuel there. I Didn't see any KR on reviewing the logs

superls1
April 14th, 2006, 03:54 PM
What size injectors are you running?

It did look like you experienced some knock in the first picture posted. How does the truck "drive" at these transition points? Hesitation, stumble, etc.

Does B3647 go higher than 100kPa in an xxx003 OS?

Chuck L.
April 15th, 2006, 01:02 AM
How does the boost rise, if the rpm's are not increasing??:nixweiss:

Jphdg
April 15th, 2006, 03:16 AM
I know I am a newbie here, but if it is actually 'excessivly' rich and unburned fuel is pumped out into the exhaust port, a WB02 will read lean as unburnt fuel = more oxygen getting into the exhaust due to uncomplete combustion and could cause a fulse reading of a WB to indicate running lean?

Could this be correct?

That said though, I think the engine would more likely cough and splatter rather than ping its head off in excessive rich, so probably is not the situation here?

I remember I had a lean spot in my tune at around 1600rpm and the throttle response was similar. Open it more and nothing would happen, keep going and it would start popping and have no power but it did not seem to ping.

DrX
April 16th, 2006, 06:39 AM
What size injectors are you running?

It did look like you experienced some knock in the first picture posted. How does the truck "drive" at these transition points? Hesitation, stumble, etc.

Does B3647 go higher than 100kPa in an xxx003 OS?

I have the 42/36lbers(42lb at 60 psi) that come with the Radix kit. I would say it doesn't do much of anything until I give it enough throttle to initiate a 4-3 kickdown. Just loads up as you can see by the increase in MAP and Dyncylair but RPMs don't budge. 0 knock in the last logs since I altered B3647 and started from scratch again with the VE table. I lose power if Iallow AutoVE to create the peaks in the VE table.

No, B3647 only goes up to 105 kPa. Would be nice if it went higher.

DrX
April 16th, 2006, 06:42 AM
How does the boost rise, if the rpm's are not increasing??:nixweiss:

It goes into boost once there is enough vacuum to close the bypass valve on the blower. It won't go any higher than 4-5 psi though because of the limited RPM.