PDA

View Full Version : New Haltech WB1

Millsy
February 2nd, 2014, 07:46 PM
Anybody got or used the new Haltech WB1 yet?

I've bought two but have not wired them up or set up a calc pid yet

I'm assuming I will need the 0 - 5v signal wire and gnd for the V2 input (AD1 +/-)

Does anybody know the voltage conversion for them?

I can post a photo of the wiring diagram if that helps

Haltech did not supply and voltage information for external data logging use except for 0V = AFR 10 and 5V = AFR 20

Thanks in advance,

Millsy

darcy
February 2nd, 2014, 08:05 PM
Haltech did not supply and voltage information for external data logging use except for 0V = AFR 10 and 5V = AFR 20

There's you're answer, Millsy......

AFR = 2*v + 10 so you can use CALC.AFR_PLX1

Millsy
February 2nd, 2014, 08:15 PM
Awesome!

Thanks Darcy

How do I find out the 'Voltage offset' which I keep reading about on here? (First time analogue tuning)

The WB1 will be wired straight to the battery

Millsy

swingtan
February 2nd, 2014, 09:07 PM
Voltage offset is when the "ground" point on two devices, is not the same. IE, the ground on the V2 may be 0.5V compared to the actual battery, where as the haltech might be a true 0v. So the signal being fed from the Haltech to the V2 will actually be 0.5V les when read on the V2.

There are a couple of things you can do...

Connect the source of the two devices to the same point: Not really an option here as the V2 is powered off the OBD-II port, which may not have sufficient power to run the Haltech. You could rewire the ODB-II port with a new power run though, I haven't checked the feasibility of this.
Use a WBO2 controller that will reference its analogue signal from the ground wire of the V2: With this, the WB controller will sense the voltage offset and adjust its output signal to correct for the offset. It's not a particularly hard thing to achieve in the electronics, but many don't do it.

Your only other option is to measure any difference, and correct for it in a calc PID and hope it doesn't drift. Be careful with trying to connect the ground points all together as the voltage difference may cause a current flow that can damage one or both of the devices.

If there is little chance of the V2 being needed when the ignition is off (you don't pause while logging), then re-wiring the ODB-II port to run both the V2 and the Haltech might be the best option, IF there actually is an offset.

Millsy
February 2nd, 2014, 10:22 PM
Thanks Swingy,

Can this offset be measured in AFR terms? The WB1 comes with a gauge powered by the unit itself (direct to battery)

So in theory, the difference between the gauge display and the V2 display will be the offset? Can AFR be converted back to voltage difference?

Or is it not as simple as that? Electronics is not my thing as you can see

Cheers,

Millsy

swingtan
February 2nd, 2014, 10:24 PM
Anything that changes the analogue voltage will also change the reported AFR. So yes, the difference between the gauge and the V2 will be the difference, if any exists.

Millsy
February 9th, 2014, 09:30 PM
So I finally got around to testing the Haltech Wideband today

Good news is, it works and EFILive can read the voltage data via the AD1

Bad news is, what im seeing on the Haltech gauge vs PLX AFR is another story

I logged a stock Monaro today and the gauge was showing the same actual AFR as the Commanded so I know it's an issue with the expression

What is the best way for me to correct this factor?

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

Millsy

swingtan
February 9th, 2014, 09:59 PM
If you're not going to give examples, it's going to be a tad difficult....

For starters, what does the average logged AFR read when idling in CL ? The average should be 14:68:1 (ULP) so any difference will indicate the error amount. However, if the factor is not linear or just a straight offset, then it's going to be a bit harder.

Millsy
February 9th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Didn't log for long enough for it to go CL

After some forum searching, I found the excel spread sheet and need a calc.pid for the following expression:

{EXT.AD} * 1.9896 + 9.948

Thanks,

Millsy

joecar
February 10th, 2014, 09:51 AM
You should avoid tapping the analog signal to feed the gauge and V2... tapping like that changes the analog signal.

Millsy
February 10th, 2014, 09:43 PM
How else would you do it Joe?

Also, does this calc.pid look right?

Thanks,

Millsy

Tre-Cool
February 10th, 2014, 11:11 PM
well when u get it fully worked out let me know. as i have a few to setup too. haha

joecar
February 11th, 2014, 10:07 AM
How else would you do it Joe?

Thanks,

MillsyThat's just it, it can't be done unless both both devices (gauge, V2) have high impedance inputs (10 Mohms or greater)...

do an experiment: have both devices tapped in, and using a DMM measure the voltage... then remove/untap one device and see if the DMM shows the same voltage... if it does then you're ok;

if DMM shows a different voltage then you to avoid tapping directly... it won't be as simple as a constant voltage offset.

joecar
February 11th, 2014, 10:09 AM

Thanks,

MillsyThe calc_pids.txt is almost right...

add at least 2 blank lines at the end of it (after the last line of text);

also note that the AFR units is already defined, so you don't need to define it.

joecar
February 11th, 2014, 10:14 AM
What stoich AFR does the Haltech assume (does it assume 14.7)...?

If you know this, you could add lambda as well...

For example:

. . .
*CLC-00-001
V 0.0 5.0 .1 "{EXT.AD1}"
AFR 10.0 20.0 .2 "{EXT.AD1}*2+10"
lambda 0.5 1.5 .4 "{CALC.AFR_WB11}/14.7"
. . .
CALC.AFR_WB11 F001 CLC-00-001 "AFR,lambda,V" WO2-Analog "Wide Band AFR 1 - WB1"
. . .

and same for CLC-00-003.

[ there are various reasons to use lambda, see the Calc.VET thread ]

Millsy
February 15th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks for your help Joe

Cheers,

Millsy

Millsy
February 23rd, 2014, 09:44 PM
Thought I would give you guys an update,

Re wired the wideband connecting all the negatives/grounds together

Laptop is now seeing correct AFR for plx calc.pid I.e. 2.25v AD1 = 14.5 AFR :)

The gauge does however read about 0.2 - 0.3 AFR higher so I just ignore it when tuning

Thanks to everybody who took the time to reply,

Millsy