PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Flash LLY TCM

Chavez91
February 4th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Had this problem a while back... Trying to Flash a TCM tune. It makes it all the way to "Erasing" and hangs there.. Then will throw a 322 code and thats it.

Ive pulled Info, Radio, amp, Ing, TBC batt, TBC ing1 and still no luck.

Ill be able to get the Trace files off the lap top later when I get home. But It does about the same thing.

Here is the V2 trace.

Any other things or fuses worth trying would be nice...

Just this TCM has always givin me crap since day 1. The ECM Flashes like a dream never had a hiccup.

FYI everything is up to date.

EDIT:

Here is the V8 Trace File...

Here is the V7.5 trace file for the successful flash.

Chavez91
February 12th, 2014, 08:31 AM
After messing around with it for a while i did discover something... It refuses to flash in BBX all together... and using V8.

BUT! it will flash using V7.5 perfectly.. Highspeed mode and everything without removing any fuses... why would this be? Anyone else experiencing this problem?

joecar
February 12th, 2014, 12:11 PM
After messing around with it for a while i did discover something... It refuses to flash in BBX all together... and using V8.

BUT! it will flash using V7.5 perfectly.. Highspeed mode and everything without removing any fuses... why would this be? Anyone else experiencing this problem?
When it refuses to flash from V2/BBX or V8, what is the error message...?

joecar
February 12th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Also:
- what build versions of V7/V8 software...?
- what V2 firmware version...?
- post your Options.txt file.

Chavez91
February 12th, 2014, 12:31 PM
It gives me a $0281 - No Data Recieved.

V8 - 8.2.2.238
V7- 7.5.7.246

V2
Boot Block - 2.07.06 Aug. 2, 2013
Firmware - 2.07.53 Nov 19, 2013

Options

djv86
February 10th, 2015, 09:58 AM
I'm having the same issue

DURAtotheMAX
February 10th, 2015, 10:28 AM
I always use V7 to flash, unless its a controller that specifically requires V8 to flash.

I dunno, just habit I guess...

cindy@efilive
February 10th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I always use V7 to flash, unless its a controller that specifically requires V8 to flash.

I dunno, just habit I guess...

That is pretty bad advice Ben.

Your post should read ALWAYS flash with V8, unless there is a specific deficiency that prevents V8 from being used. Flash speeds, BBX features, and the quick setup pretty much make V7 redundant for everything other than tune file editing.

All first line support questions are directed to attempt the function in V8 before requesting support as V7 will no longer be receiving updates. (ie if a feature works in V8, then there is no need to fix or review V7)

Cheers
Cindy

djv86
February 10th, 2015, 02:21 PM
It's like at the gm dealer we have to use the tech2 to flash the lb7 ecm due to the tech2 feeds the information slower then the other devices we have

DURAtotheMAX
February 11th, 2015, 01:33 AM
That is pretty bad advice Ben.

Your post should read ALWAYS flash with V8, unless there is a specific deficiency that prevents V8 from being used. Flash speeds, BBX features, and the quick setup pretty much make V7 redundant for everything other than tune file editing.

All first line support questions are directed to attempt the function in V8 before requesting support as V7 will no longer be receiving updates. (ie if a feature works in V8, then there is no need to fix or review V7)

Cheers
Cindy

Cindy I apologize about the bad advice. :doh::unsure:

Its just that 99% of the controllers that I deal with are LB7/LLY/LBZ/LMM and 5spd/6spd Allison, which ive never had one problem with in V7...since I obviously tune with V7, its just natural/easier to flash with V7 as well, rather than saving the file, opening V8, opening the file, then flashing.

As I said, habit I guess, "if it aint broke..."

Ben

Chavez91
February 14th, 2015, 06:26 PM
I was almost going to agree with Ben on his statement. I still currently have this problem with my LLY. But flashing with v7 works flawlessly everytime. And the AL5 controller will flash no other way except v7. V8 or BBX has NEVER worked with the AL5 in my truck. And V8 is hit or miss with customer trucks with LLYs and LB7s. So I've just gotten in the habit of using v7 for LLY, LB7, and AL5 controllers. As those are the only ones I have this issue with when trying to use V8 or BBX, but have never had a single issue with using v7.

THEFERMANATOR
February 15th, 2015, 06:10 PM
I've had the exact opposite problem with LLY's. V7 is more miss than hit trying to flash them, but V8 normally goes right through. I have grown to HATE LLY's here lately with all of there quirks. Last truck fought me and fought me before it would take a DSP5 cal flash, and then when it did go through it was screwed up. Truck rattled like it was eating rocks when it was cold. Customer brought it back to me a week later when it had warmed up out, and the flash went right in no problems, and ran quiet as could be. So far it has been about 50/50 as to wether the flash will go through right or not for me. As for flashing the AL5, I have had to unplug my BCM on more than one occasion to get it to flash. Also, if I don't start it and run it for at least a minute before I attempt to flash the AL5, it will not unlock.

Chavez91
January 11th, 2018, 07:06 AM
So to update this, It turns out that V8 is apparently missing the ability to FULL FLASH an AL5 all together. Full Flashing is also excluded from BBX as well.

This makes absolutely no sense at all as V7.5 supports it completely and it works flawlessly. Im curious if this was just something that may have been overlooked because there is nothing wrong with full flashing the AL5. But if we should be using V8 to do all our flashing, this is one hindrance to that and going forward, this would be one EXTREMELY vital feature that would be lost if it wasn't carried over from V7.5 to V8.

Is this something that we can see fixed in the near future? :)

Chavez91
February 2nd, 2018, 07:11 AM
Mayyybbbeee?? Also AL5 locking support? It exists in 7.5 but wasn't brought to v8 it seems.... :music_whistling_1: Or being able to write over the Key-off memory areas.... That would be nice as well. 0x4000 - 0x7FFF :)

cindy@efilive
February 2nd, 2018, 09:50 AM
So to update this, It turns out that V8 is apparently missing the ability to FULL FLASH an AL5 all together. Full Flashing is also excluded from BBX as well.

This makes absolutely no sense at all as V7.5 supports it completely and it works flawlessly. Im curious if this was just something that may have been overlooked because there is nothing wrong with full flashing the AL5. But if we should be using V8 to do all our flashing, this is one hindrance to that and going forward, this would be one EXTREMELY vital feature that would be lost if it wasn't carried over from V7.5 to V8.

Is this something that we can see fixed in the near future? :)

It's intentional. There are a number of discussions regarding full flash exclusions from V8 (and therefore BBX) back in 2016. Here is one. https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?26720-full-flashing-al5-controller-with-v2-(allison-tcm)

Revisiting LLY is not on the development list for the first half of 2018, so it will remain this way for at least the medium term.

Cheers
Cindy