PDA

View Full Version : Unlinked Autocal Questions

JLaw297
February 16th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Have a couple questions about the autocal, its uses and how it works...

If I have my current tuner unlink the autocal to try some different tunes, will I still be able to go back to them at anytime and upload to the truck or does the original tuner have to link it first before I can even put the old tune files back on?

Reason I ask is I am curious about some other tuning and was going to have the tunes emailed to me and then just upload them to the truck via autocal but was curious as what the whole process is..

From what I've read, it doesn't seem possible to have two dsp5 files saved (from 2 different tuners) on the computer in the efi explorer and being able to switch between them (using the autocal as the upload device). From what I've read, it seems as tho the autocal has to be linked to the tuners v2 before being able to put the tunes on the autocal.. so if you wanted to switch it has to be unlinked.. and then linked to the 2nd tuners v2.. then if wanting to switch back unlinked and linked to tuner 1 again. Is this right?

GMC-2002-Dmax
February 16th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Only the tuner who has their V2 linked to that Autocal can set the permissions in the tune file "SAVE FOR AUTOCAL".

If you have tunes from the previous tuner and that tuner unlinks the Autocal you cannot load those original tunes in until it is once again relinked.

JLaw297
February 16th, 2014, 04:07 PM
What exactly is involved to unlink and link the autocals since most tuners are out of state.. well for me atleast lol. Does the tuner have to have the autocal in person and hook it up to his v2?

cindy@efilive
February 16th, 2014, 05:23 PM
To unlink an AutoCal, the Tuner who's V2 it is linked to needs to connect both the AutoCal and the FlashScan and select the Unlink option.

This cannot be done remotely, or by EFILive, or by any other Tuner - the original Tuner needs to physically connect the AutoCal and their FlashScan to their PC for the Unlink to function.

In the situation where you want to try someone else's tuning your only option is to return your AutoCal to your Tuner A and have them unlink it. Install tunes from Tuner B onto the device, then if you ever want to switch back to Tuner A, you'll need to send your device back to Tuner B to unlink it.

Remember, that purchasing AutoCal is like purchasing a handheld device of a specific tuner - you are not purchasing EFILive or any rights to EFILive software. You cannot use tunes from multiple sources, you cannot read or edit your files. You are purchasing tuning services that just happens to be delivered on EFILive hardware. It is at the tuner's discretion to unlink the AutoCal.

Cheers
Cindy

JLaw297
February 17th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Ahh I understand now, Appreciate all your help!

JLaw297
April 8th, 2014, 02:03 AM
I forgot to ask, when you have an autocal unlinked by original tuner do you need to purchase another vin license in order to have other tuning put on it?

ScarabEpic22
April 8th, 2014, 05:10 AM
The VIN license is locked to the controller permanently, so if your new tuner creates a tune for that same controller, you do not need to re-license the controller.

cindy@efilive
April 8th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Provided it's the same ECM being tuned, no additional VIN license is required.

Cheers
Cindy

JLaw297
April 8th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Ok sweet, wasn't sure if that when they unlink it that it strips it of the vin license as well and you would have to buy another just to tune the same truck.