PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

aces
March 17th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm buying a bone stock LB7 Duramax. Looking through the forums for the duramax, everyone and their dog says if I want to tune, I should just learn from the rest and go with EFI live. So the question I have is this: How hard is it to learn to tune your own vehicle. I have a diesel mechanic (Semi Trucks) background, and tune and jet all my toys (Bikes, Snowmachines, jetskis, etc.) but have never programmed anything. The closest I've gotten to this is reading codes through factory computers, and my solus.

Can I purchase the full product and buy/beg/borrow tunes from others as a starting point, or should I just buy a custom set of tunes from a pro? Is it as easy as changing jets and such and then drive it to see if it's better or worse (relatively) or is it way more involved. I would love to learn to tune it myself, but don't have a ton of time to invest.

I've been pursuing different forums and thought it would just be easier to ask. I really don't want to get a canned tune since I really want to get 500k plus out of this truck, and don't plan on doing anything major to it as I have enough toys that go fast and break a lot. Don't need to add to the bills. :shock: Just want to be dependable and setup for what I'm doing with it at the time (Towing, Highway, etc) I drive clients around a lot, and Tow my toyhauler, boat, and snowmachine trailer around.

So hoping to get this figured out before I spend the money. If I can get this from a custom tuner for a little less than purchasing the whole package I'll go that route, but if it's easy enough to learn then I'll spend the extra. Or if it's the same either way then I guess the next question is where do I buy? lol.

joecar
March 18th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Moved thread to Diesel section for better traction.

aces
April 5th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Well 2 weeks without an answer. Not off to a good start.

cindy@efilive
April 5th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Best advice is to download our V7 software for free from our website, then download some tunes from the tune library on Diesel place and take a look for yourself. You will be able to navigate our software and determine for yourself the complexity involved based on your skill level. You will not be able to save tunes or flash your vehicle, but you will see in detail what is involved.

EFILive is PC based, with basic windows style navigation. Your diesel mechanical skills will allow you to rationalise the parameters you see, and understand cause and effect.

From there it becomes a personal decision as to whether you tune yourself, or purchase tunes from somewhere.

Cheers
Cindy

Diamond78
May 7th, 2014, 05:00 AM
Hey Aces, what you are asking of your truck is the same things I want. Highway mileage and good tow performance together. Seems I can't get a straight answer from anyone on here how to achieve that.

makgdaddy
August 22nd, 2014, 04:29 AM
Hey aces, I'm a newbie on this forum too, and this is what I have; '01 LB7, Fabtech 6" lift running 325/60R 20s, Air DogII DF-165, triple gauge A pillar, and recently installed EFI LIVE V2.
When I ordered my V2 I paid a little more for Idaho Rob to build 5 tunes. I let him know what I use the truck for and what I wanted to do with it. He built them and it was easy to download and install. If I had to do it again I'd do it the same way.
Hope this was helpful. Good luck and let me know how you like your EFI LIVE.
And by the way, the first time I used the tunes it was like my Durtymax woke up as a new type of beast! Love it!!!!

makgdaddy
August 22nd, 2014, 04:36 AM
Hi Cindy, I'm new to EFILIVE and am hoping you can point me in the right direction. One of the main reasons I went with the flash scan is so I can check injector health and performance. I've been going through the tutorials trying to find the procedure to do an injector balance rate as well as a return rate. Help!!!!!!!
Email me @ makg1@cox.net. Thanks

COSMOS
August 23rd, 2014, 04:00 AM
thetruckstop.us has some tunes on their site also, read around on some of the diesel sites and you will spot the guys that write tunes as hobby and have been familiar with EFI for many years. I have asked two members and was sent unlocked tunes after having sent them my stock tune, they graciously changed my stock tune with my understanding that in no way shape or form are they shared, period........