PDA

View Full Version : First time tuner. Anyone want to look at my base auto ve tune?

kkslds
March 19th, 2014, 11:38 AM
I recently did heads and cam to my 02 Camaro. I decided to use cos5 and I went through and changed everything I thought I should and flashed it into the car.

I started the car and it idled decent, but when I tried to give it throttle it would start to spit and sputter and go lean. I looked over the tune again and noticed some things I messed up on. I have another file ready and I will be trying again this weekend. Just thought I would see if there was someone more familiar with this operating system that wanted to look it over and make sure it looks ready to begin the auto ve process.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.

darcy
March 19th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Hi there kkslds,

I only had a quick look, but there a few things the come to mind quickly that might be causing you problems.
I'm surprised it's lean, most things point to being rich.

Have a look at:

A0014 - should not be set flat to 1.2 across the board, this is a global multiplier of VE based on IAT
B0101 - looks big, particualrly at low RPM/MAP for a cammed engine (~ +50% on a stock VE table)
B4001 - do you really have 37lb (@3bar) injectors? (THIS would create lean issue if you don't have injectors this big)
B5914 - low octane spark is the same as high octane, set it lower (wont affect fueling problem though)

Are you trying to run in SD mode?
C2901-C2906 suggest you are BUT P0101-P0103 are set to NON

Did you have a good running stock OS since the heads and cam that you are working from, or is it all new?

I think you need to provide a few more details of your setup for us to help.

kkslds
March 19th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Hi there kkslds,

I only had a quick look, but there a few things the come to mind quickly that might be causing you problems.

Have a look at:

A0014 - should not be set flat to 1.2 across the board, this is a global multiplier of VE based on IAT
B0101 - looks big, particualrly at low RPM/MAP for a cammed engine (~ +50% on a stock VE table)
B4001 - do you really have 37lb (@3bar) injectors? (THIS would create lean issue if you don't have injectors this big)
B5914 - low octane spark is the same as high octane, set it lower (wont affect fueling problem though)

Did you have a good running stock OS since the heads and cam that you are working from, or is it all new?

When I purchased the car it had a COS from HPTuners. I wasn't able to read it or modify it with my software so I had a friend who has HPT read and save the file. I ended up buying a new pcm with a stock calibration for a 02 Fbody that I licensed. The car was previously tuned in SD open loop and I was happy with the way it ran.

I upgraded to cos5 and did a cal flash of the stock calibration from the new pcm. After that I started with correcting the OOR cells, inputting the injector data, and following the write up on the auto ve tutorial. The car had already had a small cam before I swapped it for a larger grind, so I used the ve table from the HPT tune that was in it for a starting point.

As for the tables mentioned above:
A0014- I believe that's the way that table was setup by default with cos5
B0101- mentioned above
B4001- yes the injectors are 42# at 4 bar (37# at 3 bar)
B5914- I copied the high octane values and pasted to the low octane per the auto ve tutorial

I had planned on running in SD and set C2901 & C2906 accordingly. When I bought the car it had a MAF that wasn't being used, but it didn't have 02 sensors. I've contemplated on converting it back to a MAF closed loop system, but I haven't made a final decision yet. I figured I would try and get through the auto ve process first.

As for the car the mods are as follows:
2002 LS1 flycut .080" I&E
Trex 242/248 610/615 110+4
Livernois Stg. II 243 heads 62.5cc
.040 Cometic
LS6 Intake
42# FIC resized stock injectors
1 7/8" Kooks headers
+ all other supporting mods

I've wondered if the COS5 was to advanced for me as a beginning tuner so I worked on the stock operating system in case I couldn't get this figured out. Using the stock OS I would put 02 sensors and the MAF back on. I set up the following file with that in mind beginning with the auto ve process. I have attached the stock OS file I've modified as well as the link to the tutorial I was following. If you need any specific information please let me know. As far as the COS5, maybe it's not right for my application. If the stock OS will do everything I need it to do, should I just stay with it?

Auto Ve tutorial:
http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/AutoVE%20Tuning%20Tutorial.pdf

kkslds
March 21st, 2014, 09:41 AM
Hi there kkslds,

Have a look at:

Hmm I responded the other evening, but I don't see my post.

Quick run down of the car:
2002 Camaro
.080" Flycut I&E
242/248 610/615 110+4
Livernois Stg. II 243 62.5cc
Cometic .040"
Kooks 1 7/8"
LS6 intake
Supporting mods

The car previously was tuned with a HPT COS that I couldn't read or view with my V2. I had a friend read and save the tune with his HPT and then I bought a new computer with my vin and a stock operating system calibrated into it. The car was tuned with an OLSD calibration and wasn't equipped with 02 sensors. Instead of buying sensors I had planned on tuning the car the same way.

Ok so I took a look at the above mentioned tables. Here's a quick break down:
A0014 - That table is set like that by default with COS5 I'm guessing because I never altered that calibration

B0101 - Yes you are correct. I took the map tables from the previous tune. I got caught up in trying to follow the tutorial to a "T" and I added an additional 15% to the entire table. I forgot to take into account that I had already modified the map table and have since modified B0101 back to stock in the 400-1200 row.

B4001 - Yes the injectors are resized stock injectors to 42# @ 4bar

B5914 - I just followed the AutoVE tutorial on this one

As for C2901 and C2906 I set to fail as I had intentions to run an OLSD tune

I have since ran into more problems that lead me to believe that I wasn't actually experiencing a lean issue. The car got to a point where it almost wouldn't run anymore. I ended up flashing the stock operating system back in that I had modified a little to see if it was any better and the car won't start period now. Just a brief pu pff and then it just cranks. I'm really not sure what to do at this point, but I don't believe i'm getting any spark as I have good fuel pressure and my plugs are wet. I'm beginning to think that the popping issue was intermittent spark and I probably had a lot of un-burnt oxygen making it appear lean. So at this point I have some new obstacles to figure out before I can work on the tune anymore. I've tried to use my scanner to view whats going on, but as soon as I try to crank the car it loses connection and searches for a signal.