PDA

View Full Version : Tuning for a big stall. yank 4400

smokin2002
April 15th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I just got done converting my car over to an automatic, i went with a yank 4400 lock up. as of now i flashed the car to a stock auto tune. ive started tuning the motor in good enough to drive it and see what its made of with my 230/236 cam and 4.10's. As of now im having trouble getting the converter to lock up. 60-65 mph in OD it still wants to rev 3500 to move. Can anyone tell me some things to help this cars driveabilty. The 2nd issue ive had is the car wants to upshift quickly. it seems to be upshifting while im torqueing it up due to the STR. The converter is very loose. If i torque it up in D it launches weak. but if i place the shifter in 1st and do the same it runs insanely hard like it should. it also dosent seem to find the right gear for rolling punches.. it seems to just run at its stall speed in whatever gear its in.
If i can get these lil issues down ill be very happy with what ive done with the car. as of now basicly untuned its an animal under WOT. with MT radials on hot pavement today it was barely holding traction on a 40mph in 2nd gear punch.

smokin2002
April 17th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Anyone!!?? This thing has started throwing some bad codes!!
Crank posistion sensor performance
shift solonoids a and b
converter clutch pulse width

??????

ringram
April 18th, 2006, 03:44 AM
I take it you also have all the wiring for the autotrans etc connected?
You might need some extra pcm connections and wiring if it used to be an auto.

smokin2002
April 18th, 2006, 07:55 AM
i went from a 6 speed manual to the 4l60e automatic. I Removed all the manual related pins or wires fom the pcm and installed a complete auto harness from an automatic car part out. and then reflashed the pcm for a stock 2002 auto tune. but i need some pointers on how to get such a big converter under control. as of now the car dosent know whats going on!! i took a freind for a ride yesterday and cracked into first when the converter hit my tach died!!?? it short shifted 2nd because i let off seeing the tach dead. when it hit 2nd the tach came back on line?? and due to the loose converter my car is flying thru the gears before the mph is there. i can work that out with shift points. but im leary on some of the codes and why my converters not locking up. :help2:

ToplessTexan
April 20th, 2006, 12:02 AM
i went from a 6 speed manual to the 4l60e automatic. I Removed all the manual related pins or wires fom the pcm

I'm not sure I understand this. My recollection of the PCM interface is that a few pins were dual purpose and carried one signal in a M/T application and a different signal in an A/T application... but the pins were present and used in both applications. If you removed pins, aren't you missing some PCM signals the tranny wants? I am thinking they are shift solenoid A and B circuits BTW.

Also, there was a decent tranny tuning thread somewhere in the tuning section. It didn't get too far into bigger converter issues but should cover a lot of essential stuff.

This was the thread I was thinking of: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=1723

smokin2002
April 21st, 2006, 01:35 AM
The only wires i left were for the speed sensor which is universal. i removed the pins for the reverse lock out and cags skipshift. Please explain how i need more or lost a signal wire. I am throwing those codes for A and B along with coverter codes. Thank you!! I think we may be on to something now! any questions you can ask feel free.

I have removed the cags and reverse lock out {2 pins} and have installed the 13 pin cannon plug for the tranny and reflashed the car. I dont have any shifter wiring due to the fact im using a hurst quater stick.

Is it possible removing those pins can mess up a circuit like removing the cig lighter and trying to use EFILive!!

ToplessTexan
April 21st, 2006, 10:33 AM
Okay, I assume you're working with a 2002 something. :) Keep in mind I'm looking at '98 C5 service manuals.

After grumbling about the limitations of '98 PCMs, I spent some time comparing pinouts among the years. While doing that I noticed that for a '98 C5 pins 34 and 40 on PCM connector C1 each had one of two functions depending on whether the PCM was used in a manual or automatic application.

Pin 34 is used for either circuit 587 (2nd and 3rd gear block out solenoid) or 687 (3-2 shift solenoid). Pin 40 is used for circuit 375 (1 to 4 upshift lamp control) or 1223 (shift solenoid B). Assuming the PCM is running an auto OS, pins 34 and 40 would be circuits 687 and 1223. Note that those are two of the 13 circuits in the tranny harness connector.

The fact that you removed the pins from the PCM (?) leads me to believe you won't have those signal circuits and hence no signals on them. Keep in mind that I'm not looking at '02 (C5, F-body, ???) pinouts, but you get the idea - the pins were probably used for tranny control signals.

The cigarette lighter reference is a new one for me...

smokin2002
April 22nd, 2006, 12:18 AM
LOL, yes if you unplug your cigg lighter you wont be able to communicate with pcm.

I will plug the wires back in and see what happens.

foff667
April 22nd, 2006, 01:33 PM
log to see what gear your launching in when your in D or OD i know when i had my converter & a larger cam it would launch in 2nd gear...i had to change a couple tables to get that sorted out...also i could only assume some of your missfire tables need to be tweaked so it locks up consistantly.

smokin2002
April 22nd, 2006, 02:21 PM
ok, its deff launching in 2nd. after the converter hits im dead hooking and pulling up to 60mph with no shift from an idle roll. its not doing to terribley bad the way its pulling so out of tune.

http://media.putfile.com/0-60-67

ToplessTexan
April 25th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Did connecting those circuits change anything?

smokin2002
April 25th, 2006, 08:45 AM
sorry, ive been having alot of down time. i ordered the right SLP automatic radiator for the car to help keep the trans cool. and in doing so i had to make up some custom fittings that go from a 5/16 compression to #6 AN for my braided lines. . I had a buddy weld me up 2 today but one got to hot and became brittle. when i got my fitting snug the weld broke:mad: ..... ill get him some better materials tommorow. earlieast test date will be friday..

I hope thats all it takes. Ive been out of the car way to long:bawl:

ToplessTexan
June 8th, 2006, 11:49 AM
^^^