PDA

View Full Version : [Q] Stock tune information

Whippled 496
April 2nd, 2014, 02:40 PM
First of all I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this. I didnt see a section specifically for general questions.

I know this may seem like an ODD question but I am split between trying my hand at diesel tuning or picking up a tuner from one of the Pro's out there. I have been tuning gasoline stuff for a while now but I am a green horn when it comes to diesel stuff. So here is my question(s). Are the stock tunes that are found out there for the LML on sites like 4share the actual factory stock tune as GM would have loaded? Is there any loss of information or data when these ECMs are read via j-tag (or however they are doing it)? I have seen from time to time when updates come out they say "new tables found!" Does this mean the tables weren't there before or does it mean they have always been there but are just now able to be modified? I guess a simpler way of asking would be, "If one were to compare GM's tune file against one pulled from a J-tagged ECM...would there be any differences?" Assuming one could do an actual or true comparison? I hate the idea of writing over my stock tune and not being able to read and save it first.

As a side note, I have yet to find a stock tune file for my truck.

2014 GMC 2dr 4wd SLE LML

Most everything I can find is 4dr stuff. Still a little unclear why they seperate tunes between cab styles and option configurations but thats a question for another thread :).

ScarabEpic22
April 3rd, 2014, 05:12 AM
I cant validate the files on 4-share (they appear to be stock, but not positive).

The entire ECM flash contents are read out, what really happens when an update is released is someone (EFILive, 3rd party=.cax file) has dug through the binary/hex code and mapped the tables so they can be modified. All of the information exists, it's simply (ha!) a matter of finding the addresses/units/etc and validating.

The reason for the the separate tunes between the different models would be something you'd have to ask GM. They do it, so you have to use the correct one for your vehicle otherwise you run the risk of losing features (i.e. rear HVAC, different fuel tank sizes, and so on).

Dmaxink
April 3rd, 2014, 07:14 PM
First of all I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this. I didnt see a section specifically for general questions.

I know this may seem like an ODD question but I am split between trying my hand at diesel tuning or picking up a tuner from one of the Pro's out there. I have been tuning gasoline stuff for a while now but I am a green horn when it comes to diesel stuff. So here is my question(s). Are the stock tunes that are found out there for the LML on sites like 4share the actual factory stock tune as GM would have loaded? Is there any loss of information or data when these ECMs are read via j-tag (or however they are doing it)? I have seen from time to time when updates come out they say "new tables found!" Does this mean the tables weren't there before or does it mean they have always been there but are just now able to be modified? I guess a simpler way of asking would be, "If one were to compare GM's tune file against one pulled from a J-tagged ECM...would there be any differences?" Assuming one could do an actual or true comparison? I hate the idea of writing over my stock tune and not being able to read and save it first.

As a side note, I have yet to find a stock tune file for my truck.

2014 GMC 2dr 4wd SLE LML

Most everything I can find is 4dr stuff. Still a little unclear why they seperate tunes between cab styles and option configurations but thats a question for another thread :).

We offer a service on our site that can get you the correct stock tune file for your truck. In which case you can save it as your stock tune, then save it again as a modified tune. This would allow you to never lose your "stock" file.

The stock file that you will open (as the ones you find on the web) are true stock files. You can not compare efilives stock .ctz files
With that of a raw binary file due to the .ctz encryption, however, I can verify it is a true raw file. If you compare a Identical GM file with one matching supported by efi then you would see there would be no difference.

There is hundreds of thousands lines of code in the ECM, efilive provides the most useful lines for the end user to modify.

Hope this helps,
Kory

Whippled 496
April 3rd, 2014, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback, and yes, that does make sense Kory.

I guess that explains some of the testimonials about customers losing cruise control and other anomalies when loading custom tunes. Thats kind of where I am at right now...I really want to pull the trigger on a tune but I am concerned about regen frequencies increasing as well as gremlins popping up. A lot places selling custom tunes tell you that power goes up, regen frequency goes down, you stop losing your hair, you lose weight and look younger, etc....just to get your money...lol. When all i really want is more responsive acceleration and to get rid of the "dead pedal" feeling. There is just not alot of chatter out there yet on LML tuning ....at least not like there is for LMM and older stuff. Makes it tough to know who to trust.

Dmaxink
April 4th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Ummm.... We don't have customers losing cruise control or anything along those lines... Like 7 months ago h&s had that issue, but we never have since day 1 of efilive.

Possibly your tuned into the wrong channels, we are selling more LML tunes currently than anything. Check out duramaxforum, we have 2 or 3 threads, some over 100+ pages of LML tuning.

It's possible some other tuners are using the wrong operating systems, but we have never had that issue with efilive. If we did, it would of been corrected immediately.

Whippled 496
April 4th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Ummm.... We don't have customers losing cruise control or anything along those lines... Like 7 months ago h&s had that issue, but we never have since day 1 of efilive.

Possibly your tuned into the wrong channels, we are selling more LML tunes currently than anything. Check out duramaxforum, we have 2 or 3 threads, some over 100+ pages of LML tuning.

It's possible some other tuners are using the wrong operating systems, but we have never had that issue with efilive. If we did, it would of been corrected immediately.

Uh oh, hope you didnt take that the wrong way...I was not making any accusations. I was just saying that I have heard about some issues and how they may have been related to your explination of specific tunes designed for specific cab and option configurations. Sounds like they may have received tunes written for the wrong cab configuration and thats why they lost some stock features. I am a member of a few Truck forums including the one you mentioned. I will do some more searching there and find the threads your refering to.

Thanks for the help.

Dmaxink
April 4th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Uh oh, hope you didnt take that the wrong way...I was not making any accusations. I was just saying that I have heard about some issues and how they may have been related to your explination of specific tunes designed for specific cab and option configurations. Sounds like they may have received tunes written for the wrong cab configuration and thats why they lost some stock features. I am a member of a few Truck forums including the one you mentioned. I will do some more searching there and find the threads your refering to.

Thanks for the help.

Oh yes yes.... I have fixed around 20 files for people over the past month... Hence why we just added the option on our site for stock tunes to vin. Lol!

GMPX
April 4th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Kory is right, the amount of different configurations GM have on these tunes is crazy, if you couldn't figure out what stock tune from 4shared suits your truck then the service Kory offers is an excellent choice and will save you a lot of grief in the long run, especially given you have a 14.