PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Balance Test

driver456
April 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM
What does it mean when you have a weak cylinder in the cylinder balance test,And how do you correct it?.....................Paul

caver
April 16th, 2006, 11:46 PM
It means that cylinder is not running as strongly as the others.
How to correct it?
That usually requires some mechanical knowledge and equipment.
Causes could be
spark plug
ht lead
coil
injector
riding valve
burnt valve
holed piston
bad inj driver
Bad contact or broken wire to coil or injector
broken valve spring
seized valve

Starting to get the idea?

joecar
April 17th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Can you post a screen picture of the test results...

ringram
April 17th, 2006, 02:35 AM
.. piston rings, damaged bore, blown head gasket etc..
If its shocking you can fix it with a 402 stroker engine replacement :)

driver456
April 17th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Can you post a screen picture of the test results...
Its on my lap top and thats not connected to the internet.Oh man I hope its just a bad plug.I went to the Corvette Challenge in NJ on Saturday and went a 12.44,The car feels and sounds great and I'm about half done tuning it,Idles a little ruff though.UPDATE,I changed the #4 cyl.plug and its a little stronger now.

DWS6
April 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM
FWIW - I did back to back cylinder tests and got very different results. 1 st test showed 2 weak cylinders and the second showed the previously weak cylinders stronger than the stongest cylinder from the 1 st test. It was much more consistant after the second test. Also nothing changed between tests and were done within about 2 min. of each other. I chalked it up to a fluke.

driver456
April 17th, 2006, 11:49 AM
FWIW - I did back to back cylinder tests and got very different results. 1 st test showed 2 weak cylinders and the second showed the previously weak cylinders stronger than the stongest cylinder from the 1 st test. It was much more consistant after the second test. Also nothing changed between tests and were done within about 2 min. of each other. I chalked it up to a fluke.
Yea,cause now its showing #8 cyl. week,Oh well.As long as its not a valve or piston damage I'm glad:D