PDA

View Full Version : What to scan

GMPX
February 25th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Figured some folks might want some guidence with this one.

First thing, open up the text file in notepad for reference -
"My Documents\EFILive\V7\User Configuration\cal_link.txt"

This file links the scanned data with the tables in the editor.
The tables in the editor can only be tracked with scanned data if the scan PID has been logged and is defined in this file (which you can edit).

So first up what are the typical things you need to log when tuning.
For myself this is my PID selection -

SAE.RPM - SAE Defined Engine RPM
SAE.MAP - SAE Defined Manifold Pressure
SAE.ECT - SAE Defined Engine Coolant Temp
SAE.VSS - SAE Defined Vehicle Speed
SAE.IAT - SAE Defined Engine Intake Air Temp
SAE.TP - SAE Defined Throttle Position
SAE.SPARKADV - SAE Defined Final Ignition Timing
GM.KR - GM Defined Spark Retard due to knock
GM.AFR - GM Defined Commanded Air/Fuel Ratio
GM.EQIVRATIO - GM Defined PID for commanded Fuel EQ Ratio
GM.CYLAIR_DMA - EFILive PID for MAF Air Flow in g/cyl
OR
GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA - EFILive PID for MAP Air Flow in g/cyl if MAFless
GM.IAC - GM Defined PID for IAC Steps
GM.ASPARK - GM Defined PID for High/Low octane scaler percentage
GM.GEAR - GM Defined current transmission gear
EXT.AD1 - For WBO2 Logging

This takes up 20 PID channels, I ALWAYS try to keep the number under 24 due to the fact under 24 gives faster scan speeds.
So that leaves 4 spare PID slots to add in other PID's that might be specific to something you are trying to monitor.

Now, that set of PID's is very good for linking back scanned data into the editor as it pretty much covers all tables that are based on g/cyl and MAP kPa and of course RPM.

Try logging this set of PID's then opening up your .tun file and look in the tables that are defined in the cal_link.txt file.
You should see the cell highlighted that matches the scanned data values the cursor is at.

Look at the screen shot to see how the scanned data is linked into the VE table on this example (see the purple cell at 4400RPM and 100kPa in the table), that is the cell the PCM was using at this point in the log file.

Fire away with further questions.....

Cheers,
Ross

http://www.efilive.com/upload/public/GMPX/Link.png

bink
February 25th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks Ross! Can't wait to try it! How easy can this get??

Cheers,
joel

SSbaby
February 28th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks Ross!

Boy, I was wondering what I did 'wrong' in the VE table when I saw the highlighted purple cell. I was chasing a knock problem that I had scanned... the problem area was staring me right at my face.

Does it also highlight the Spark table cells, too? EDIT: Just noticed your comment, below: :wink:

Now, that set of PID's is very good for linking back scanned data into the editor as it pretty much covers all tables that are based on g/cyl and MAP kPa and of course RPM.

Cheers

jsttry
May 1st, 2005, 03:27 AM
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I can get this to work with a dashboard layout like in the example but when I try to use a map (KR data with MAP kPA and RPM as X and Y) it doesn't highlight the cell in the Tune Tool.

Any suggestions or is this by design?

Blacky
May 1st, 2005, 11:05 AM
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I can get this to work with a dashboard layout like in the example but when I try to use a map (KR data with MAP kPA and RPM as X and Y) it doesn't highlight the cell in the Tune Tool.

Any suggestions or is this by design?

Are you trying to highlight cells in a map in the scan tool and expect the corresponding cells in the tuning tool to be highlighted?
That won't work.

What you can do, is highlight the entire* chart range that contains knock and ALL the cells in the tuning tool calibration tables will be highlighted. Assuming the link-PIDs are configured in cal_link.txt

*data linking betwen the Scan and Tune Tools is limited to the first 100 selected frames.

Regards
Paul

jsttry
May 1st, 2005, 02:18 PM
Are you trying to highlight cells in a map in the scan tool and expect the corresponding cells in the tuning tool to be highlighted?
That won't work.

Yep that is what I was trying to do. I normally use the MAP in the scan tool as you can set it up to look exactly like the VE table in the tune tool. Will have a play with the charts and see if it makes things easier.

frknlo
February 16th, 2006, 07:37 PM
This should be made into a sticky! This really helped me get started.
Mahalo

Ninety8C5
February 17th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I didnt't find the 'cal-link.txt' file in "My Documents\EFILive\V7\User Configuration", but found it in "C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Configuration".

I am using the latest download from January 30, 2006. Was the 'cal_link.txt' moved on this release or do I have something wrong ? :nixweiss:

:thankyou2:

joecar
February 17th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Hmmm... I have that file in both locations...

Ninety8C5
February 17th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Hmmm... I have that file in both locations...

Are the 'Date Modified' dates and 'Size' for both the same ?

Black02SS
February 17th, 2006, 05:43 AM
What has happened is I think that you loaded a new version over the old one Joe. I believe that the correct location now is C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Configuration. I got into this when I was adjusting it to setup some new links.

DaddySS
March 30th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Figured some folks might want some guidence with this one.

First thing, open up the text file in notepad for reference -
"My Documents\EFILive\V7\User Configuration\cal_link.txt"

This file links the scanned data with the tables in the editor.
The tables in the editor can only be tracked with scanned data if the scan PID has been logged and is defined in this file (which you can edit).

Cheers,
Ross

http://www.efilive.com/upload/public/GMPX/Link.png

I don't see the cal_link.txt file?

Black02SS
March 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I don't see the cal_link.txt file?
Read my post above. :)

DaddySS
March 30th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Oops - OK, I'll check that, thanks!

joecar
March 31st, 2006, 03:07 AM
What has happened is I think that you loaded a new version over the old one Joe. I believe that the correct location now is C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Configuration. I got into this when I was adjusting it to setup some new links. That makes sense, the one in "My Documents\EFILive\V7\User Configuration" has an older timestamp.