PDA

View Full Version : Duramax EGR block using EFILive?

asm
April 26th, 2014, 05:20 AM
I'm a complete noob to the diesel tuning, or actually car tuning in general. So, this question may be stupid to many of you.

I have been playing the the demo version of EFILive tune for Duramax. I noticed EGR can be control by ECM. With that in mind, wouldn't it possible to 'block" EGR by simply command the EGR to be close at all time?

Thanks

dansdieselp
April 27th, 2014, 02:19 AM
Yes. Minimum temp 300* and Maximum temp -40* Don't disable the diagnostic/monitoring table.

asm
April 27th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Thanks for confirming it. This will save me the trouble of actually installing EGR blocking plate. :)

turbo_bu
April 28th, 2014, 03:16 AM
Yes. Minimum temp 300* and Maximum temp -40* Don't disable the diagnostic/monitoring table.

Why shouldn't you disable the diagnostic / monitoring table? I have only tuned an LLY which had EGR, and I think I turned those off when I disabled EGR (it's been a while).

dansdieselp
April 28th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Cause with out monitoring it allows the valve to free float. Truck will surge with out a blocker plate in then. LBZ-LMM

drboom
April 16th, 2015, 12:21 AM

I've had to reflash the stock program in my 06 lbz duramax in order to pass emissions obdii check. Inspectors tell me the engine misfire and egr flow should be supported, but my scan still shows both NOT SUPPORTED. Could this be due to a disabled diagnostic/monitoring table? How would I check that and reverse it?

Thanks

TFZ_Z06
May 6th, 2015, 05:11 PM
I've had to reflash the stock program in my 06 lbz duramax in order to pass emissions obdii check. Inspectors tell me the engine misfire and egr flow should be supported, but my scan still shows both NOT SUPPORTED. Could this be due to a disabled diagnostic/monitoring table? How would I check that and reverse it?

Thanks

I just flashed mine back to stock for same reason. Would you look at my post and see if your supported param s are the same?

ippielb
June 26th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Thanks for confirming it. This will save me the trouble of actually installing EGR blocking plate. :)

If you disable the EGR on your truck, the exhaust pressure will open the valve and it will CHUG black smoke in mid range. You need to install a blocker plate and deactivate the solenoid. Personal experience.

hrthsv
July 18th, 2015, 06:34 PM
If you command the EGR valve closed, it won't open and you won't get smoke, cooler running, more power when the valve is normally open and cooler EGT's, seen it on a large variety of engines.

NCRay
January 22nd, 2016, 08:32 AM
If you command the EGR valve closed, it won't open and you won't get smoke, cooler running, more power when the valve is normally open and cooler EGT's, seen it on a large variety of engines.

Sorry to awake this old thread. I am new and am first building a modified copy of my stock LMM tune with EGR disabled, DPF deactivated/removed and CAT(DOC) removed and maybe a few other odds and ends on my 2009 LMM CCSB 4WD.
You say "if you command the EGR valve closed..."; it this the same as setting the values for temps as stated above in this thread to the stated values of 300/-40 or is there another parameter that sets the EGR to the state you mention, "command the EGR VALVE CLOSED"??
Thanks for your reply as I do not want to move to a bug smoking killer just yet!

bmc1025
January 25th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Sorry to awake this old thread. I am new and am first building a modified copy of my stock LMM tune with EGR disabled, DPF deactivated/removed and CAT(DOC) removed and maybe a few other odds and ends on my 2009 LMM CCSB 4WD.
You say "if you command the EGR valve closed..."; it this the same as setting the values for temps as stated above in this thread to the stated values of 300/-40 or is there another parameter that sets the EGR to the state you mention, "command the EGR VALVE CLOSED"??
Thanks for your reply as I do not want to move to a bug smoking killer just yet!

Yes just deactivate it using the temps. Do not disable it by selecting disable in B1501 or you will have a random loss of power and a smoke show while cruising down the highway. I also zero out the desired flow tables but it isn't necessary.

NCRay
January 26th, 2016, 02:54 AM
Yes just deactivate it using the temps. Do not disable it by selecting disable in B1501 or you will have a random loss of power and a smoke show while cruising down the highway. I also zero out the desired flow tables but it isn't necessary.

You say "also zero out the desired flow tables but it isn't necessary."
May I ask where are those just for my education?
Many thanks for your assistance in educating a total novice trying to get started and gain some knowledge.

NCRay
January 26th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Never mind, DAH! Now that I got onto my laptop and opened a stock context I see the "Desired Flow Tables".
Sorry for my ignorance. A lot to learn I guess. I'll keep digging. Thanks a bunch for your assistance and patience with my steep learning curve.

RVDAN
March 10th, 2016, 02:26 AM
You can turn off the EGR in the tuning, I suggest to be on the safe side by unplugging it.
If you did the PCV reroute that would help a little if your leaving the EGR functioning.
The PCV reroute will also help by keeping the oil vapors out of the intake, turbo to intercooler hoses and intercooler.
By just turning off the EGR and not blocking there is a chance the EGR will blow open at the worst time while towing pulling a steep grade, loosing power.
With the EGR blocked that will NOT increase any smoke, the only way that would happen if you got a smoke tune, which is NOT recommended.