PDA

View Full Version : First time Allison tuning questions

bmd2_colo
April 29th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Hello guys-

So I'm pretty experienced on the Gen 3 Gas engine tuning stuff so I'm not a total noob but I have no Allison experience at all.
Buddy of mine has an 06 Chevy with the 8.1 and 6 speed allison, I was trying to read the TCM by selecting it from the drop down menu (A40 6 Speed Ally TCM), but my Flashscan V1 cable won't connect. Is the V1 not capable of reading the TCMs?
Is there something I'm not doing right? I looked for a while but there isn't really a beginner area on the forum for Allison stuff... Sorry for the day 1 rookie questions but I am stumped.
Is there a special process for flashing or is it just like the PCMs?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

GMPX
April 29th, 2014, 01:11 PM
The A40 TCM communicates on the CAN bus, the V1 interface is not capable of communicating on the CAN bus, it was designed in the early 2000's, GM didn't switch to CAN until 2006.

bmd2_colo
April 29th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Thank you, gentlemen. Friend just bought V2.

tradin1
April 30th, 2014, 02:37 AM
i have a V2 and would like some help tuning an A40 TCM.

i have a 6spd running behind a cummins vp44 24v eng. right now the tcc is only locking up in 4,5 and 6. i want to have it start locking up in 2nd gear.

also, the tire size and R&P ratio in the TCM is way off too.

does anyone have a stock shift table from a truck that had a cummins/allison that i can see? i am not racing or sled pulling, just a 450-500hp driver.

is there some place i can read about the taps and pids for an allison a40 6 spd?

thx