PDA

View Full Version : log file names

cyipher
May 15th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Im logging an ls1b pcm and and right now the file gets named ls1b0001 and on up from there. Is there any way to log it with just a number such as 001 and up? No ls1b in the file name? Im trying to get the file name shorter

Thanks,
Kyle

Blacky
May 16th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Im logging an ls1b pcm and and right now the file gets named ls1b0001 and on up from there. Is there any way to log it with just a number such as 001 and up? No ls1b in the file name? Im trying to get the file name shorter

Thanks,
Kyle

The controller code is always pre-pended to the log file name, that can't be changed.

You can obviously rename the files once you transfer them back to the PC. Just interested in why you'd want the names shorter?

Regards
Paul

cyipher
May 17th, 2014, 02:03 AM
The controller code is always pre-pended to the log file name, that can't be changed.

You can obviously rename the files once you transfer them back to the PC. Just interested in why you'd want the names shorter?

Regards
Paul

Well my biggest problem with efilive, isn't a problem with efilive as much as it is my setup. I use efilive in a drag racing scenario, and my laptop is just a small net book. The problem I have is the battery life is not good, and the only way it'll last a full day of racing is to keep it plugged in most of the time. I used to carry a jump pack that had an inverter on it to charge my laptop in the car cause I know with other manufacturers unit they dont want you to charge your laptop from the source your logging. So thay was 30ish extra lbs of unsecured weight in the car I didn't want to have. So my solution was black box logging, the problem with black box logging is I have to pull the v2 box out and take it to my laptop which is changing in a nice air conditioned vehicle. Hey when its 90 out, standing under the hot sun isnt fun in a fire suit. So my solution to that is a flashair card from toshiba, it installs and acts like a standard sd card but it has a wireless access point in it so the v2 box never has to be unplugged. I have the wifi sd card and it works great, distance range is about 30 ft thru the car and a wall at my house. Going back to the issue now, the card only supports early dos type file naming structures, so ls1b0001 gets changed into an abbrivated name and while I can figure out which log is which It would be easier to see an abbrivated name.

Kyle

Blacky
May 17th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Hi Kyle,

I see what you mean. The firmware is supposed to keep the file names in 8.3 format. I'll make sure it does that in the next update.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 17th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I just took a look at the firmware, specifically at the FAT32 file system code and ther eis no provision for setting the short file name explicitly. Only the long file name is recorded in the FAT. I think it is left up to the application reading the files (i.e. your card's wireless interface) to convert from the long file name to the short file name. I'm not sure why the wireles card would not convert "LS1B0001.efi" into the exact same short file name since it follows the 8.3 format. It could be that because the FAT32 filesystem is compiled to *only* support long file names, that the wireless card assumes all file names are long file names and blindly converts them to 8.3 format even if they are already in 8.3 format.

To check that, can you please rename one of the log files to use only 7 characters while it is on your PC, then use EFILive Explorer to copy that file from your PC to the wireless SD Card via FlashScan's USB connection. Then try to copy that file from FlashScan to the PC via the SD Card's wireless link. Does that work as you expected or does it still attempt to convert the file name?

Regards
Paul

swingtan
May 17th, 2014, 10:36 AM
If you are logging to the SD card, you can just take that and not the whole V2. Set the V2 to auto detect the memeory type and it will switch between internal and SD card as needed. I do like the WiFi card though.

cyipher
May 19th, 2014, 01:56 AM
I just took a look at the firmware, specifically at the FAT32 file system code and ther eis no provision for setting the short file name explicitly. Only the long file name is recorded in the FAT. I think it is left up to the application reading the files (i.e. your card's wireless interface) to convert from the long file name to the short file name. I'm not sure why the wireles card would not convert "LS1B0001.efi" into the exact same short file name since it follows the 8.3 format. It could be that because the FAT32 filesystem is compiled to *only* support long file names, that the wireless card assumes all file names are long file names and blindly converts them to 8.3 format even if they are already in 8.3 format.

To check that, can you please rename one of the log files to use only 7 characters while it is on your PC, then use EFILive Explorer to copy that file from your PC to the wireless SD Card via FlashScan's USB connection. Then try to copy that file from FlashScan to the PC via the SD Card's wireless link. Does that work as you expected or does it still attempt to convert the file name?

Regards
Paul

Well shit! sorry to have wasted you time Paul, but appers that even the short names get abrivated. I guess its an attriute of the card, but either way if anyone wants to know the flashair card from toshiba work great in the efilive sd slot and range is 30+ ft.

ScarabEpic22
May 19th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Well shit! sorry to have wasted you time Paul, but appers that even the short names get abrivated. I guess its an attriute of the card, but either way if anyone wants to know the flashair card from toshiba work great in the efilive sd slot and range is 30+ ft.

Never heard of this before, but this is a great find and I think will help some people!