PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a P12 with an e67

BlkWdoSS
May 16th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Hey everyone, I am hoping to find some more knowledge on what I will need to do to make my swap successful.

Here are some stats:

Car: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC (LSJ), Turbo swapped, large amounts of boost. Running a p12 pcm, way past the VE tables/IFR tables/MAF tables.

I currently have the motor out, I can set the reluctor up to match the e67, that isnt a problem.

What I am wanting to do:

The 2006 Cobalt SS (2.4L) non supercharged is equipped with the e67 PCM. I would like to swap in the e67 to run my build since I can flash an OS that can handle the amounts of boost I am running.

I have a friend that works at GM and has access to tech II, since the cars are the same year and through swapping, I know that all of the guages/radio/etc is interchangeable. So my concern is what I will need to do to run an e67 along with my current BCM, I.e.

how do the 2 communicate?
what does the pcm have to have for the bcm to recognize and run without bricking the pcm?
Can we flash my vin number to the e67 using the tech II and it still function or will this brick the PCM since my vin uses a p12 pcm?
would it be easier to get a matching pcm/bcm and just swap them both so that everything works together?

I have been searching for this information for a while and I would like to get a solution so that I can finish putting this car back together

BlkWdoSS
May 19th, 2014, 08:58 AM
no ideas anyone?

ScarabEpic22
May 19th, 2014, 01:54 PM
The E67 has the PWM comm lines still just like the P12, you might just have to swap one in, full flash with the right OS and see what happens. Make sure the throttle body, pedal assembly, and OS are all compatible. You will need to use a VIN off a non-s/c engine for the initial Tech II flash, but once the OS is in just change the VIN back to yours with EFILive.

Cant comment on the BCM, but might have to flash that too. Basically make all the modules thing it a non-s/c car and then tune the ECM.

BlkWdoSS
May 19th, 2014, 02:01 PM
great, thanks for confirming Erik, that is what I have been hoping for a while. I appreciate it

GMPX
May 19th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Given there was an E67 in the same platform as yours you at least have a chance to get this working.
Not sure what your best approach would be, rewire the car to suit an E67 (no turning back) or make up some sort of P12 to E67 adaptor harness to try to get it working before changing over all the wiring.
BUT, you still have the problem of Injector Flow limits with the early E67's (7.9999 g/sec), you need to find a suitable 2008 or later OS with a 15.9998 g/sec limit. I thought about the E37 but it has no VPW comms bus.

BlkWdoSS
May 24th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Swapping to a later pcm is still a possibility.

Re-wiring the car isnt a problem, I've spent 4 yrs building and repinning wiring harnesses on semi trucks that use far more wires than my little cobalt. The car has already had the wiring harness disassembled to get rid of all unnecessary wiring. I just want this to work with a body controller so that all of my gauges, radio, doors, all work together instead of having to install all mechanical gauges. I would love to just go standalone but as I said, I would lose all the functionality of my car.

I also have access to complete wiring diagrams for any production vehicle so if it comes down to it, I can get a PCM/BCM from any car and I should be able to repin/rework the harness to work. I was just looking for the easiest options with the most features available, hence the 06 e67.

what 08+ vehicles have the operating system I would need for the increased Injector Flow Limits?

what is the e37 and what is VPW comms bus?

GMPX
May 25th, 2014, 10:39 AM
The E37 was similar to the E38 ECM, GM used it on 4 and 6 cyl motors, it'll handle boost but like the E38, E67 etc only 2008+ handle bigger injectors well.
Don't know how much power you are making or what injectors you are using but the 2006 7.0L Z06 ran ok with the earlier limits.
VPW bus is what GM used prior to the CAN bus, the P12 used the VPW bus (also called Class 2 bus), whatever ECM you choose needs this on it, so really E67 is the only option.

BlkWdoSS
May 25th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Mod List:

Engine: (current build process)
Wedged Gen I Ecotec 2.0L
Diamond 9.5:1 Forged Pistons
Pauter X-Beam Rods
Knife-edged Crankshaft
Ported & Polished Head
Custom Comp Cams
Supertech Valve Springs
Stock Inconel Sodium Filled Valves
NGK BKR7eIX Spark Plugs
Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors
AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator w/custom return style
Mishimoto Radiator
Mishimoto old style Oil Catch Can

Forced Induction:
Borg Warner S366XL
RD Fabs 4" Intake Manifold
Mishimoto Intercooler
Custom Tubular Exhaust Manifold
Sound Performance Quick Spool Valve
Custom Intercooler Piping
Turbosmart 38mm External Wastegate
Wastegate Dump Tube
Hahn Oil Feed/ Custom Oil Drain
3\" MAF tube
Custom Downpipe (4" in 3" out)
Hahn Racecraft 3" Catback Exhaust
Poly Exhaust Hangers
T1 Racing Development Vacuum Block
1G DSM Blow Off Valve
TurboXS MBC (controls Quick Spool Valve)
Hallman MBC (controls Boost level)

Drive Train:
ACT 2800lb Clutch
4.05 Gearset
Quaife Limited Slip Differential
LNF Throw Out Bearing
Powell Rotated Transmission Mounts
TTR Upper Motor Mount
DSS Stg 2 Axles
B&M Short Throw Shifter
M&H Slicks

Electronics: