PDA

View Full Version : Using 160 baud?

Fierobsessed
April 20th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Iv'e had some difficulty trying to utilize this program with a 160 Baud (C3) computer. I use this program a lot to do 8912 baud streams on my cars, written several definition files, found it a particularly user friendly interface. But, for the life of me I cannot get 160 baud to work! My cable is a moates unit, utilizing USB through a virtual com port, and that works flawlessly.

The details... 88 Pontiac Fiero GT V6, 1227170 ECM
The ALDL has no chatter, it sends the stream when a 10K resistance is in the diagnostic mode port, (or its shorted) so it requires no information to be sent to the ALDL, this seems to go contrary to what macro's attempt to do. The stream doesn't have a ID byte or a mode, and might not even have a checksum. So the question is, how do I set the definition file up so that it will look for the data being sent from the ALDL instead of the program trying to request it? I have never seen a good working definition for a 160 Baud system ("87_gmc_truck" doesn't seem to help much) so I have nothing to model my definition from. At this point I am wondering if this will even work. I did set the "ALDL Baud" to "160-C3" and put in the length of the stream (for a 160 baud) and it still doesn't seem to work.

GMPX
April 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Wow, it's been a while since I played with 160 baud (an 83 TransAm) so to be honest I don't know the exact answer here, but, 160 baud from memory is not bi-directional, it just spits our data and that is it, no requests are needed. Maybe Paul can chime in here.

Cheers,
Ross

Fierobsessed
April 27th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I see you understand exactly where I was going with that. The fact that it is not bi-directional is what's killing me. I want the program to pickup the "heartbeat" and run from there.

GMPX
April 27th, 2006, 09:55 PM
O.K, well Paul is the only one that could answer that, I've never done it with V4. Now that I think about it I was using an old DOS program by Rinda (sp?) on my old T/A.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
April 27th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Look in the vehicle definition gmh-vn68vp68.xml, it is set up to 160 baud.

The tricks are:

1. Set the ALDL baud to either 160-808 or 160-C3 (most US vehicles are C3, most Australian vehicles are 808).

2. Set T1, T2 and T3 to be longer than the time between two frames (usually >1 second).

3. Set up a "dummy" request - which is not actually sent to the PCM, it is required because the software needs a request under which you can define the data stream bytes.

4. Set the Frame length to the number of bytes that are transmitted by the PCM in each frame. (Mandatory for 160 baud, not required for 8192 baud).

I can't remember if turning on the menu option View->Serial I/O works in 160 baud mode, but it might be worth a try to show the 160 baud raw serial data.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Paul

Fierobsessed
April 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM
You rock. It works!

Time to convert my 160 baud XML's...

Thanks so much!!

BTW, I had to use the 160-808, for some reason the 160-C3 didn't seem to work, well actually, it caused the program to lock up.

BEAST
January 27th, 2007, 02:50 AM
ok newbie here trying to learn i understand what is going on except how do you "Set the ALDL baud to either 160-808 or 160-C3" and i happen to have one of moates cables with the aldl converter ....do you mean by moving the switch on the side?

Blacky
January 27th, 2007, 10:54 AM
See attached image.
Regards
Paul