PDA

View Full Version : Good coffee or go home!

GMPX
May 28th, 2014, 12:17 PM
So anyone who knows me is aware that I am a bit of a coffee princess (coming from Melbourne (http://www.visitmelbourneblog.com/2014/04/04/head-to-melbourne-for-the-best-coffee-in-the-world/) that is a given), and one thing I regularly do when travelling in the US is moan to those with me about the quality of a certain coffee chain that has pretty much taken over there and killed off many small independents. So I am proud of all coffee loving Aussie's when I read this article (http://thebigsmoke.com.au/2014/05/28/sm-australians-refuse-pour-bad-coffee-ie-starbucks-just-saying/) today...
It would appear they finally figured (at least here) that serving superheated burnt milk and stale coffee to a coffee loving nation isn't going to work, goodbye, good riddance....

Tre-Cool
May 28th, 2014, 05:20 PM
I think coffee and IT people tend to go hand in hand. There a few exceptions and I must be one of them but I just never understood nor have the inclination to drink the stuff.

You could put a cup of cheap bulk blend 43 and some expensive stuff in a cup and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

TerryD
May 29th, 2014, 12:24 AM
We honeymooned in Jamaica. The coffee there was awesome. Apparently it's common for my fellow Americans to take as much cream in their coffee as they do coffee there. The girl kinda eyeballed my first couple sips after telling her I didn't want cream in mine. Man that was good stuff. Had to brush your teeth when you got back to the room and it looked like you were spitting out mud, but great stuff!

joecar
May 29th, 2014, 02:05 AM
There is no replacement for BEER :cheers:

TerryD
May 29th, 2014, 02:26 AM
There is no replacement for BEER :cheers:

The second beer...

cindy@efilive
May 29th, 2014, 08:50 AM
We honeymooned in Jamaica. The coffee there was awesome. Apparently it's common for my fellow Americans to take as much cream in their coffee as they do coffee there. The girl kinda eyeballed my first couple sips after telling her I didn't want cream in mine. Man that was good stuff. Had to brush your teeth when you got back to the room and it looked like you were spitting out mud, but great stuff!

I don't get cream in coffee. We see it on tv shows, I guess it's an American thing. Is it cream that you would whip and use in a dessert?

The Italian Traditional coffee would be served straight black, or with warm steamed milk.

Cheers
Cindy

TerryD
May 29th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Honestly, I can't tell you what it is but I believe it started as the cream you would whip for a desert, yes. Heavy cream I think my wife calls it. Most "cream" around here comes in a powdered form out of a plastic bottle. I drink my coffee straight black unless it's very poor quality. I think about everything here is imitation now. Aggravates me quite a bit honestly.

While we were in Jamaica, all their pop was made with real sugar. I felt slighted when we landed back in Charlotte and I had to drink a corn syrup Coke again. *bleh* :Throwup:

kangsta
May 29th, 2014, 10:01 AM
as another aussie, its real coffee for me and sugar cane sugar if you need it. I must say some of the best coffee I've had has been from small indie places in Melbourne.

GMPX
May 29th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I felt slighted when we landed back in Charlotte and I had to drink a corn syrup Coke again. *bleh* :Throwup:
I watched a documentary about that the other night (was Greg Banish the presenter? :shock: ), corn syrup = nasty, was only done to save sugar reserves and guess what, it is cheaper. I think it is a US thing only too.
http://vimeo.com/44450267
(http://vimeo.com/44450267)

cindy@efilive
May 29th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Adding a powdered substance to any drink seems wrong, especially as a milk substitute. Surely there is nothing wrong with fresh and natural?

As for Corn Syrup....watching USA soda drinkers having withdrawals from the addictive corn syrup when they leave their country is really bad.

We've had friends travel to Australia a couple of times now, and while they and their kids don't live on soda the day 3 withdrawals from corn syrup is a real eye opener.

Cheers
Cindy

cindy@efilive
May 29th, 2014, 11:19 AM
as another aussie, its real coffee for me and sugar cane sugar if you need it. I must say some of the best coffee I've had has been from small indie places in Melbourne.

Agree totally. Love going down to the graffiti lanes in Melbourne and ordering a coffee...although I don't think we've done that in at least 5 or 6 years.

The coffee in our indi cafe (aka our home machine) is pretty good too - Ross can pour a mean coffee.

Cheers
Cindy

joecar
May 29th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Corn syrup causes this type of thing: "sydlexia lures ko"

cindy@efilive
May 29th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Corn syrup causes this type of thing: "sydlexia lures ko"

Well it does when your detoxing! LOL!

TerryD
May 29th, 2014, 01:04 PM
It could have been the sheer amount of Red Stripe I was consuming, but I never noticed any withdrawals from the corn syrup. :laugh: