PDA

View Full Version : Using unsupported ecu's with efilive

Tre-Cool
May 28th, 2014, 05:41 PM
I've placed this in the diesel section as it related to diesel car's but it's a generic question I suppose.

Is the new V8 editor going to allow support for people to create their own maps/tables etc from unofficially supported ecu's? (I know we currently have cax for supported ecu's)

I emailed in a couple of bin files to support the other day from an izuzu dmax and an Hyundai i30, but in the meantime had been having great success in mapping out the data & tables from the i30's bosch edc16c39 in Winols and am finding it quite fun.

But it would be really great to export the relevant data fields into efilive's clean menu structure etc, rather than using tuner pro etc.

I would quite happily work on stuff like this for free if it meant keeping everything to standard or relevant format that efilive uses.

Regards,
Dave

kangsta
May 28th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Amen to that, particularly for stuff that has flash only support. It'd be awesome to use the tuner and scanner for your own cal mappings.

kangsta
May 28th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Might even promote a bit of DIY community like the old days haha

GMPX
May 29th, 2014, 09:06 AM
It's not as simple as 'just loading a bin file', the software needs to know file structures, checksums etc, then have some sort of user interface to create your own maps....kinda of like WinOLS :music_whistling_1:
Anyway, I'm not saying that will never happen because the V8 foundations are very open, but it is not going to be high on the to do list for the moment.

kangsta
May 29th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I'd be happy with CAX style definitions in the editor and checksumming for controllers you support read/flash on as a starting point :) cant really suggest checksumming for a controller you dont support flashing on...

Tre-Cool
May 29th, 2014, 09:27 PM
yeah, dont flashing or reading support. can do that with other hardware.

checksumming is also done flashing program too.

GMPX
June 1st, 2014, 11:20 AM
Guys if you want to go it alone as a DIY thing there is products already out there for the Euro cars, just use them and adapt what you need. That is not a model we will be moving to.

kangsta
June 1st, 2014, 04:55 PM
not really going it alone DIY, more along the lines of enhancing what EFILive already offers. well for me anyway

GMPX
June 1st, 2014, 05:47 PM
yeah, dont flashing or reading support. can do that with other hardware.

not really going it alone DIY, more along the lines of enhancing what EFILive already offers. well for me anyway
My only thought here is what part of this pays the bills for EFILive?

kangsta
June 1st, 2014, 07:30 PM
that's a very valid point. For the stuff i'm suggesting it ties people in closer to EFILive and the technology. e.g. Autocals and FlashScan licences. Right now I use the Bosch E55/77/69 flashing via Autocals, if there were options for CAX based editing and a bit of a community here I could see more people adopting Autocals for those controllers. At the moment it would only be people who have enough equipment to do it.

For Tre-cools stuff you would have to at least buy the scan tool EFILive.

GMPX
June 1st, 2014, 08:12 PM
I don't want to sound money focused in my comments but the reality is EFILive is a business therefore I have no option, it is not a DIY community based product, never was, therefore any effort put in must return a financial gain or we go under.
At least in a lot of automotive DIY, 'community involvement' usually all comes back to people not wanting to pay for something, sorry, just seen this too many times and that is the reality. I think Tre-Cool pretty much summed up what I see as far as people wanting to integrate non EFILive supported ECM's, give me everything I want and I'll give you nothing in return :doh:, or maybe it was just written poorly.
Regarding scantool sales, again not really worth the effort when there is $100 scantools on Ebay for Hyundai's etc.

kangsta
June 1st, 2014, 11:58 PM
I don't want to sound money focused in my comments but the reality is EFILive is a business therefore I have no option, it is not a DIY community based product, never was, therefore any effort put in must return a financial gain or we go under.
At least in a lot of automotive DIY, 'community involvement' usually all comes back to people not wanting to pay for something, sorry, just seen this too many times and that is the reality. I think Tre-Cool pretty much summed up what I see as far as people wanting to integrate non EFILive supported ECM's, give me everything I want and I'll give you nothing in return :doh:, or maybe it was just written poorly.
Regarding scantool sales, again not really worth the effort when there is $100 scantools on Ebay for Hyundai's etc.

I hear ya Ross, I happily pay the licences and buy Autocals to flash the Bosch ECUs you support flashing on. If you had CAX ability and checksumming to support that would be awesome. If those two features are only limited to the controllers you support reading and flashing on that's understandable as a mechanism to recoup your investment R&D.

Just putting it out there that there is interest in those features and as a way to expand your coverage as well as maintain a revenue stream.

Tre-Cool
June 2nd, 2014, 01:20 AM
Yeah, poorly written on my behalf.

What I was kind of getting too was that if we could get file formats in to efilive with say community cax files, it might then be possible to add flash/read support with known controllers like the bosch ecu's, then straight away there is $100 income to efilive pty ltd.