PDA

View Full Version : Holden Colorado MY14 Duramax 2.8

scottcmb
May 29th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Is there or going to be support for tuning the new MY14 duramax 2.8 diesel and the auto trans that behind it in the new Holden Colorado?

Cheers Scotty

GMPX
June 1st, 2014, 12:19 PM
Cannot get an ECM, not available through Holden spares yet so at this stage no idea.

horvo86
June 1st, 2014, 01:55 PM
Well hopefully not too much longer because I would rather tune my own than have a chip

GMPX
June 1st, 2014, 02:38 PM
No idea who even makes the ECM, might be Bosch, Continental, Siemens, might not even be possible to tune them via reflash.

horvo86
June 1st, 2014, 02:44 PM
It would be nice to know it's actually possible. Because if not I'll have to look at some alternatives.

scottcmb
June 1st, 2014, 02:58 PM
No idea who even makes the ECM, might be Bosch, Continental, Siemens, might not even be possible to tune them via reflash.

I pick up my new MY14 Colorado hopefully at the end of this week.

Would you like me to get any details off the ECU unit for you Ross, would that be any help to see if its viable?

Regards Scotty :)

GMPX
June 1st, 2014, 03:21 PM
I've seen a picture of the ECM sticker but there was no brand on it, regardless there is a million things that can determine if it will be possible or not and without an ECM we can't even take the first steps.
If does appear it is unique to the 2.8L engine, no other GM Diesel uses it.

scottcmb
June 1st, 2014, 03:28 PM
I've seen a picture of the ECM sticker but there was no brand on it, regardless there is a million things that can determine if it will be possible or not and without an ECM we can't even take the first steps.
If does appear it is unique to the 2.8L engine, no other GM Diesel uses it.
If you are in Auckland and when im up there I could call in for you to take a closer look at it if ya want :)

horvo86
June 1st, 2014, 03:29 PM
I'll upload some picks of mine this arvo too.

GMPX
June 1st, 2014, 06:44 PM
If you are in Auckland and when im up there I could call in for you to take a closer look at it if ya want :)

Sure, leave us the car for a month or so :laugh:
In all seriousness, having a look at the ECM's case still doesn't tell us much, it is what is going on inside that matters, I have some wreckers on the look out for us, someone will write one off sooner or later.
When the Duramax LML ECM came out we all thought it was a Delphi because it had E38 style connectors on it....nope, it was Bosch inside.

DURAtotheMAX
June 2nd, 2014, 03:12 AM
When the Duramax LML ECM came out we all thought it was a Delphi because it had E38 style connectors on it....nope, it was Bosch inside.

x2! It is very strange that the LML is in a Delphi-esque case and has Molex MX123 connectors, a la E67, etc. I remember having a conversation a long time ago when I first got some pics of an early LML harness and ASSumed it was Delphi based on exterior appearance.

I wonder why that is? For cost savings, wouldnt it have been 10000x easier/cheaper for GM to just use the standard Euro EDC17 case? Like they did with the EDC16 on the LBZ/LMM??

Ben

ScarabEpic22
June 2nd, 2014, 05:08 AM
Hopefully the 2.8L Duramax has a tunable ECM when it comes to the states next MY...

DURAtotheMAX
June 2nd, 2014, 05:15 AM
at the very least, the ECM will be flashable via OBD...because the EPA OBD-II standard dictates that all mfg's have to allow updates/reflashes to be performed via OBD.

The question is will it be able to be read out via OBD, or locked (like the LML)

horvo86
June 2nd, 2014, 08:50 AM
Well I'm hoping for the best. I'm getting impatient but.

cindy@efilive
June 2nd, 2014, 09:59 AM
Well I'm hoping for the best. I'm getting impatient but.

You could always just park your brand new Colorado and ship us the ECM ;) I am joking....we just need to wait for one to show up. Or if your mates with your dealer, feel free to ask what the cost of a replacement ECM is and we will purchase one.

Cheers
Cindy

poopsbrown
June 2nd, 2014, 10:10 AM
You could always just park your brand new Colorado and ship us the ECM ;) I am joking....we just need to wait for one to show up. Or if your mates with your dealer, feel free to ask what the cost of a replacement ECM is and we will purchase one.

Cheers
Cindy

Anyone have a VIN for one of these? Seeing if my parts guy can order one in.

horvo86
June 2nd, 2014, 11:07 AM

I will find out some info from my dealer about a ECM.

GMPX
June 2nd, 2014, 02:12 PM
at the very least, the ECM will be flashable via OBD...because the EPA OBD-II standard dictates that all mfg's have to allow updates/reflashes to be performed via OBD.
Doesn't mean much now, many of the new ECM's carry digital signature validation, so anyone can flash them with the right tools but unless you can correct the digital signature on a modified tune it won't accept it (eg 2013+ Cummins).

I would suspect the Colorado engine to be used in the USA will be different, therefore a different ECM. The Colorado these guys are talking about has (from factory) no DPF, no Urea etc. USA laws mandate they will need to be fitted for you guys so it might not use the same ECM. Example being the Cruze Diesel ECM in the USA is a USA specific ECM, no other Cruze Diesels use it worldwide.

poopsbrown
June 2nd, 2014, 02:24 PM
Yea, I was talking about the Holden one just to play with, I haven't heard much at all about the USA diesels yet.

poopsbrown
June 2nd, 2014, 02:26 PM
Doesn't mean much now, many of the new ECM's carry digital signature validation, so anyone can flash them with the right tools but unless you can correct the digital signature on a modified tune it won't accept it (eg 2013+ Cummins).

Can the V2 do 1939 can0 to read out most cummins at least? Would be handy if I was on the road, havent tried yet.

GMPX
June 2nd, 2014, 03:20 PM
Yea, I was talking about the Holden one just to play with, I haven't heard much at all about the USA diesels yet.
Local Holden dealer told us there is 13 on back order, ETA 3 months! Crazy.

Can the V2 do 1939 can0 to read out most cummins at least? Would be handy if I was on the road, havent tried yet.
No, J1939 is not implemented in V2.

poopsbrown
June 2nd, 2014, 03:37 PM
If you guys take a peek at it later, it would be awesome. Not needing the laptop everywhere would be nice. I know all the cummins from 03+ can do 1939. I havent played with the 'encrypted' cummins ecus. They have what is basicaly the exact same ECU in service in MD/HD applications, they just lock it down for dodge I guess. Wonder if the Digital signature crap can be turned off with an alternative comms standard allowing read/write over obd2 can0 or 1939 can0... Yet another on the 'play' list

Damn parts monkeys! lol

statesman
June 2nd, 2014, 10:48 PM
Local Holden dealer told us there is 13 on back order, ETA 3 months! Crazy.

I feel sorry for anyone who has one fail on them.

GMPX
June 3rd, 2014, 10:14 AM
I doubt they are failing, it will be misdiagnosis, if in doubt replace the ECM.

poopsbrown
June 11th, 2014, 05:52 AM
I hear this is a EDC16+ C39 . Wonder what they will run stateside.

If we are talking about new ECM's.....
Any chance of tune only support for ford 6.7L scorpion engines? They are running edc17c05's. The 6.4L is a edc17c01 IIRC.... I can get you guys bin files from it if you want to start poking and prodding? Same setup as chevy due to us laws. They have readout protection/ tprot enabled , but flashing is wide open.

GMPX
June 11th, 2014, 09:13 AM
The older models were EDC16, they have since changed to the ECM that is hard to get.

Any chance of tune only support for ford 6.7L scorpion engines? They are running edc17c05's. The 6.4L is a edc17c01 IIRC.... I can get you guys bin files from it if you want to start poking and prodding? Same setup as chevy due to us laws. They have readout protection/ tprot enabled , but flashing is wide open.
Flashing them is a little tricky, FORD implemented their own non Bosch ways :bash:

poopsbrown
June 11th, 2014, 09:31 AM
The older models were EDC16, they have since changed to the ECM that is hard to get.

Flashing them is a little tricky, FORD implemented their own non Bosch ways :bash:

I have been doing some digging and talking to some hardware guys.

several different levels of on board diag with the tri-cores, even some deeper than listed below where you can watch whats going on in the processor and how it talks to other devices.
In boot-mode you can use
BDM
Jtag
AND.... CANBUS! Yayyyy.

I am using the Magpro x17 which works very well, and I intend on bench flashing the ford ecm soon, but I wonder if the V2 could bench flash tri-core based ecms via canbus and the bootpin. Also no solder needed pins have been made and are cheap. Could be a good combo for the bigger tuning shops in the usa even if they dont have soldering skills etc.

Sorry for the derail on this, but its all good info

GMPX
June 11th, 2014, 10:40 AM
I am using the Magpro x17 which works very well............Sorry for the derail on this, but its all good info
Yet again pimping non EFILive products!, might be time to join the McDonalds forum and tell them how good Burger King is :doh2:, Paul already sent you a message about this sort of thing.

poopsbrown
June 11th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Yet again pimping non EFILive products!, might be time to join the McDonalds forum and tell them how good Burger King is :doh2:, Paul already sent you a message about this sort of thing.

SIncerely, my bad. I thought it was just no clone talk. Ie, thats why there is file import tools built in now, for reading ecu's with non efilive products.

Anyhow, I am not trying to bust balls about that, I will edit the post if you want.

I was getting at efilive being able to bench flash some/most of these and how it could be good vs buying expensive single use tools.:mrgreen:

GMPX
June 11th, 2014, 11:22 AM
SIncerely, my bad. I thought it was just no clone talk.
Well that goes without saying regarding the Chinese clone stuff of those Euro tuners, I really feel for the companies like MPPS who invest all that R&D only to have it sold on Ebay for $20 out of Shangshui.

Ie, thats why there is file import tools built in now, for reading ecu's with non efilive products.
EFILive will import the Alientech JTAG reads because these are not encrypted in any way and it is a tool many of the early LML tuners were using. (Is that what you meant?)

DURAtotheMAX
June 11th, 2014, 04:49 PM

If we are talking about new ECM's.....

I thought the 6.4 ford was siemens?

GMPX
June 11th, 2014, 04:51 PM
It is

poopsbrown
June 11th, 2014, 06:02 PM
It is

Havent opened one, just saw it on a list. Is a siemens made bosch design deal?

So anyhow. The lightbulb went off when I realized that the v2 could potentially read/write via bootmode to tricore ecu's, since canbus is one of the ways you can debug the tricore while in bootmode. That was the main point.
Sorry for the distraction

scottcmb
June 12th, 2014, 08:13 PM
For those that are interested I just pulled the T43 tune from My new 2014 Holden Colorado. Looks like it needs a few tables unlocked.

Cheers Scotty :)

GMPX
June 13th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the tune posting. How are you finding the car?

scottcmb
June 13th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the tune posting. How are you finding the car?

Your welcome Ross. Its a great wagon, ride, handling and comfort is great for a truck/ute. Out of the box it pulls quite well :)..... I have read that Walkinshaw have released two packages for the Colorado Xtreme series "High Rider" and "Low Rider" where its full wheels and suspension packages etc. And also they are soon to release a tune package for it.

I will just wait and hope EFILIVE crack it and have support for it soon :)

Cheers Scotty :)

DURAtotheMAX
August 7th, 2014, 01:25 AM
The 2.8 Duramax is confirmed to use a Continental controller...at least the US market ones will.

http://www.dieselworldmag.com/first-look-gms-2-8l-duramax-canyoncolorado-beyond

horvo86
August 12th, 2014, 10:38 PM
So big question is. When can we start tuning them.

GMPX
August 13th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Everything about the Colorado ECM is new, everything! So it'll be a big job from start to finish should it happen, but of course there is many projects already in the pipeline. Not saying we aren't going to do them, we already have an ECM, but it is a whole new ball game with them.

horvo86
May 31st, 2015, 07:27 PM
Any word yet on how long till we can get to tuning the rg colorado 2.8 duramax?

GMPX
June 1st, 2015, 10:33 AM
Not currently working on them.

horvo86
June 1st, 2015, 10:35 AM
Damn. I don't wanna buy a chip if EFI can tune it. And really that's what I got EFI life for, GM stuff.

GMPX
June 1st, 2015, 10:40 AM
Mate, there is just nothing straight forward or simple with what it takes to support an ECM, that 2.8L ECM is a new fresh design and will take a lot of hours to figure out how it works. Unfortunately with GM currently running 6 different ECM's on their late model petrol engines we battle to find the time to start on a fresh project like the Colorado ECM.