PDA

View Full Version : Can HPTuners alter a PCM with an EFLive COS?

Supercharged111
June 3rd, 2014, 08:11 AM
I'm about to embark on the 411 swap, but will require some help from HPTuners along the way. Reason #1: it appears EFILive doesn't support the series II Gm 3800 engine found in 97-03 Pontiac Grand Prix and various other platforms. These are the injectors I intend to run with my marine intake swap so I'll need flow data and injector latency values I imagine. I'm fairly certain that HPT supports this engine and would be able to provide these values, but I don't know if they'd be in the same format so may require flashing with HPT? Another huge reason is my TCC unlocks when I lift off the throttle and apparently HPT was kind enough to unlock the cell that allows you to change that, but only with the 411 swap.

So I'm wondering, do I leave the Express van tune on there, change what I want changed in there, then swap to COS5? Or will the OS change wipe everything out? If so, will HPT even be able to do any of these things once COS5 is flashed on?

Patrick G
June 3rd, 2014, 08:53 AM
Pretty sure you won't be able to read out the COS5 tune with HP Tuners so you won't be able to modify it. Best bet is to modify the tune as far as you can within the confines of the factory OS, then use the other software to make whatever changes you need. Of course, the injector info you're looking for is readily available in EFILive form so don't feel like you're stuck working within one platform. I find it necessary sometimes to use values found on HPT sites and transpose the values so they are appropriate for EFILive.

Supercharged111
June 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
Where can I find the injector info here? I don't see where that PCM is supported, is there a list of injectors on the main site somewhere that I'm missing? I'll admit I haven't yet downloaded HPT's software to see what I can transpose, but my biggest worry here is losing the TCC lock at 0% throttle when I jump to COS5. As far as I know, HPT is the only one who's unlocked that. I'll be adding a supercharger and need to correct for boost which the factory OS won't support. Will the COS undo my transmission tune? Or can I plug that segment in before flashing the COS? I know there's stuff in the background that doesn't get touched when doing a regular tune, but I believe nothing is sacred with an OS swap.

joecar
June 3rd, 2014, 08:53 PM
What injectors are being used...?

Supercharged111
June 4th, 2014, 01:38 AM
What injectors are being used...?

36# injectors and FPR from a 98 Grand Prix GTP (Series II L67), supercharged 3800. Part numbers are at home of course.

5.7ute
June 4th, 2014, 04:18 PM
As far as the TCC lock goes, there is a member on here working on a cax file to edit this parameter. I will PM him a link to this thread so he can chime in.

Lextech
June 5th, 2014, 12:33 AM
PM sent.

Jeff

Supercharged111
June 5th, 2014, 02:10 AM
Sweet. Might be able to keep this one in the family! :D