PDA

View Full Version : GMPP LS3 ECU Reprogramming questions (noob)

toedrag
June 19th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Hi All,

I'm a complete tuning noob. I've spent some time trying to find answers to the following questions, but come up empty thus far. Hoping I came to the right place...

As I understand it, the GMPP LS3 ECU shares its HW platform with the OEM/non-GMPP equivalent ECU (not sure what year/model), and in the GMPP ECU OS, GMPP has disabled quite a few functions to make it easier for ppl to complete LS transplants.

What I noticed is that there are a few pertinent signals that do not get connected to the GMPP ECU, such as Oil temp and Fuel level to name two.

The questions for the community are:
1. Can EFILive HW/SW change the GMPP ECU programming in such a way so that signals like Oil Temp & Fuel level are processed and then accessible real time via OBDII devices (assuming the senders are connected to the ECU at the proper pins)?
2. If a non-GM sender is used for these signals, are there tables that can modified so that the ECU's processing of the signal is accurate?

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have relevant parameters be accessible through the OBDII i/f.

ACCLR8N
June 19th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Another noobs answer to your question is probably not. There are tables in every ECU that we just don't have access to. For instance in my E40 I don't have access to rescale the IAT input when I switched to an LS7 MAF sensor. The tables exist but are not supported. Conversely the fuel density scalar as used by my dash to compute MPG was also not supported. Someone with skills well beyond me had cracked that one on their own and shared a CAX file with me.

toedrag
June 19th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Gah, bummer. Maybe I can find someone locally with a Tech2. Thx for the info.

Taz
June 20th, 2014, 06:44 AM
... What I noticed is that there are a few pertinent signals that do not get connected to the GMPP ECU, such as Oil temp and Fuel level to name two.

The questions for the community are:
1. Can EFILive HW/SW change the GMPP ECU programming in such a way so that signals like Oil Temp & Fuel level are processed and then accessible real time via OBDII devices (assuming the senders are connected to the ECU at the proper pins)?
2. If a non-GM sender is used for these signals, are there tables that can modified so that the ECU's processing of the signal is accurate?

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have relevant parameters be accessible through the OBDII i/f.

If your GMPP E67 is running OS19211212, then EFILive offers SOME of the parameters that you would need. If it is OS12638778 - then you are pretty much out of luck.

Given the current state of "transition" of the EFILive software, CAX files that could help are blocked, or only partially load, and older versus newer versions of the software are incompatible (won't open the files).

HPT has most of what you would need, but they also fall short of a complete solution.

Your options become - run a production E67 and OS, or send your GMPP controller out to a tuner shop that can do what you need done (and there are only a handful that can do this type of work).

toedrag
June 20th, 2014, 09:54 AM
(and there are only a handful that can do this type of work).

Can you name a few? If forum rules prevent publicly disclosing them for whatever reason, can you PM me?