PDA

View Full Version : E40 SPeed Density tune won't accept TCS Patch.....Traction Service light

mowton
June 27th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Having a heck of a time trying to figure out why the attached tune wont respond to the TCS Patch in our Speed density tune. Have tried several attempts at full flash but just cant get it to take?

Please help as the customer is chomping at the bit to get his car back.

Thanks,

Ed M

GMPX
June 29th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Ed, I am not sure why that is happening, I checked the patch in your file and it is correctly applied. Essentially the E40 has not been modified in EFILive since about 2009 (and that had nothing to do with OS patches), so that either means your car has some other issue or you are the first to use the TCS patch on this OS in 5 years :lookaround:

mowton
June 29th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Ed, I am not sure why that is happening, I checked the patch in your file and it is correctly applied. Essentially the E40 has not been modified in EFILive since about 2009 (and that had nothing to do with OS patches), so that either means your car has some other issue or you are the first to use the TCS patch on this OS in 5 years :lookaround:

Thanks Ross, it was a panic cry on Friday and after a settle down with a scotch, I also thought we needed to look about as we to have not ever had an issue with at least 2 dozen E40 Speed density setups in the past. Thank you for at least validating the patch. Will look a bit deeper Monday morning and report accordingly.

Ed M

mowton
June 30th, 2014, 10:45 PM
So as a follow-up, the car came in with a HPTuners 2 Bar Speed Density tune and apparently no Traction Control issues. Burned a license to reload file just to verify and low and behold Traction Control on-off ok, Dash icon off and no C0256 code. This OS also has a TCS Patch as well.

Today we will re-program via Tech 2 the EFILive Program and begin looking for possible causes.

Ed M

mowton
July 1st, 2014, 10:46 PM
Reprogrammed the car with the tech 2 and updated new stock file with the above tune parameters with same results. Trying to tune out any possible torque management issues (only other help I could find during my search) that might be disabling the Traction Control in the above tune. I personally don't understand why this is so difficult when the patch alone should be the remedy.

Are there any DTC's that require disabling?

Frustrated...............

Ed M

GMPX
July 2nd, 2014, 09:58 AM
All that patch is doing is stopping the ECM setting a flag to say the torque calculations will be inaccurate due to a MAF error. Out of interest if plug plug the MAF in does the Traction Light go away?

mowton
July 2nd, 2014, 01:02 PM
All that patch is doing is stopping the ECM setting a flag to say the torque calculations will be inaccurate due to a MAF error. Out of interest if plug plug the MAF in does the Traction Light go away?

Ross, the setup does not have a MAF installed. Might there be a need to terminate the harness wires some way. As i stated, the hptuners file operates the traction control as designed? I tried today again to max the traction control tables with no luck.

Thanks,

Ed M

GMPX
July 2nd, 2014, 01:45 PM
No need to terminate the MAF, I was just wondering if that was the reason behind it or if there is some other issue tripping the problem.
I would compare the traction tables in the HPT file to yours, sometimes maxing those can upset things too.

mowton
July 2nd, 2014, 02:48 PM
No need to terminate the MAF, I was just wondering if that was the reason behind it or if there is some other issue tripping the problem.
I would compare the traction tables in the HPT file to yours, sometimes maxing those can upset things too.

I actually did that today, updated the above file with each of the applicable HPTuner values with no success. Really at a loss now :-(

GMPX
July 2nd, 2014, 03:15 PM
Ed, what happens if you do nothing more than turn off the MAF MIL codes, and apply the TCS patch?

mowton
July 2nd, 2014, 10:21 PM
Ed, what happens if you do nothing more than turn off the MAF MIL codes, and apply the TCS patch?

Not sure what you want me to do, sorry. Do you mean start with a stock file, turn off MAF DTC codes P0101, 0102 and 0103 to No Report and apply the patch without setting the MAF Hi fail from 14500 to 0?

Ed M

GMPX
July 3rd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Sort of. Start with your stock tune, don't turn off the MAF DTC's as they need to trip so it will jump to SD mode, just turn the MAF MIL codes to No. With the MAF unplugged there is no need to mess with the fail settings, it will fail right away, you just don't want to the MIL to come on because of it. Apply the TCS patch then flash it in.

mowton
July 3rd, 2014, 01:24 PM
Sort of. Start with your stock tune, don't turn off the MAF DTC's as they need to trip so it will jump to SD mode, just turn the MAF MIL codes to No. With the MAF unplugged there is no need to mess with the fail settings, it will fail right away, you just don't want to the MIL to come on because of it. Apply the TCS patch then flash it in.

Ross, appreciate the help, but the car had to get delivered today so I was forced to start over and develop a Speed Density tune using HP.....sorry. I hate to not be able to get to the bottom of a problem but time just wasn't on my side on this one. Unfortunately it will just have to stay a mystery unless someone else has the same problem.

The good news, the car put down 700+ horsepower (and a ton of torque) which will make the customer very happy.

Again thanks for the support.

Ed M

GMPX
July 3rd, 2014, 01:52 PM
No problem Ed, as you say you've done a number of these in the past so it will remain a mystery to us all.