PDA

View Full Version : Couple of LML Tuning Questions

Chavez91
July 12th, 2014, 11:19 AM
I have a few questions about my LML. We just did a emissions deletes to it and in turn this raised a few questions that I had about the process.

One of the questions is, what causes a P16A1 code? On the V2 it is described as a "Throttle Sensor Communications Circuit High Voltage".

One of the issues that we had while deleting the emissions while using EFI was, if we turned off any (just 1 or ALL of them) of the "Controllers" (B0303, B0304, B2870, B2852, B2890) this would cause the throttle to go "Dead" and would throw ONLY the P16A1 code. If you tried pressing the throttle a few times it would eventually sputter, puke white smoke, and by then we would turn it off.

Now if we left ALL of the "controllers" enabled, the throttle would work correctly. Now one of the other things that we did notice that after we got the truck running is that sometimes we can drive the truck for a while, and everything will work perfectly, no issues at all. Then others we will drive it for a while and one of the times you will get into the throttle, it will start "sputtering" around 1400rpms, coast, and again it will sputter. Check codes, and there's that P16A1 code again. Stop it, shut it off, turn it on, and everything works fine again and you may or may not have it happen again for a while.

The base tune we are using was acquired the way that was described in the "how to" using TIS2WEB and the vin#. All the segments match up. Now before we flashed the truck, we read the calibration info using the scan tool in v8 to check the segment numbers on the tune that was currently in the truck, and most matched up, but a few were "older" segments. Example below:

TIS2WEB states that the 12655862 (which is the Segment Number in the tune we are using) is to be used, but the segment 12646307 was the segment that was in the truck prior to flashing.

The segments that were like this were as follows:

- Engine

- System

- Engine Diagnostic

- Engine Operation

Would this be enough to make the difference?

The other issue that we are combating is the Cruise Control issue. Is there any insight on how that may be fixed? or if it would be caused in tandem with the above issue?

RADustin
August 1st, 2014, 12:50 AM
In an effort to generate some conversation- (no trolling intended)

Your cruise issue is in the base tune. Figure out the right base tune to use and it will heal.

also- I have also noticed that some switches do cause no starts and dead pedals. This is the ECMs internal checks/balances system I suppose. I know my CAX overlaps what efilive has mapped- so efilive does have the ability to cause a deadpedal or no start.

maybe other non US users can comment on what they've found?

GMPX
August 1st, 2014, 08:47 AM
Unfortunately there does seem to be a combination of switches that upsets the cruise control and sometimes a dead pedal, on the flip side those that find a working combination probably want to keep those cards to themselves.

Chavez91
August 1st, 2014, 04:02 PM
Yeah. After a bunch of tinkering I was able to figure out the cruise issue. It was a combination of switch combinations and speed limiter settings and we have the truck running really well right now. The only issue that we are stuck with is the P16A1 code. Its the only one that we cant figure out. As soon as you remove one DPF parameter, up pops the code. Truck runs and drives normal. Just a CEL. So we just turned off the code, but i just feel there is a more proper way of addressing the code. I just dont understand what it means or what causes it.

RADustin
August 4th, 2014, 01:32 AM
It seems like the working combinations vary per OS.

It's also strange to me that one of the SCR switches in two of the OS doesn't match the other two. I have the specifics in my notes at home- but it seems strange that a switch may exist in two OSs and not in the other two. OR the procedure to turn the switch off in two OS is different than the other two- more likely I think- and the switch location relative to each OS is the same.

Chavez91
August 23rd, 2014, 02:43 PM
We ran the truck last night at the track, and problem, we hit the 98 MPH speed limiter..... and ... cant seem to get past it... This is how its set, any suggestions?

Chavez91
September 2nd, 2014, 08:51 PM
Got some help and the speed limiter figured out. Turns out none of the above tables get used apparently..

Next question I have will probably be for GMPX...

It involves the Main Injection Mode Assignment Table (B1250)

That's how it is displayed in EFI...

And I was able to find the table and this is how it displays in WinOLS. (using 8bit, twodimensional settings)

Just from what I gathered, In EFI, the values are loaded from top to bottom starting at COLUMN 1 (column 0 in WinOLS), then top to bot Column 2.... ect. ect.

But WinOLS loads them left to right, starting with ROW Normal (Row 0 in WinOLS) then Regen Stg 1, ect ect...

Is there a particular reason for this being loaded/rendered differently?

Cause personally the WinOLS one makes a tad bit more sense as to what tables each Engine Operating Mode is using.

Normal - Mode 0

Regen 1 - 1,3,5 (Design of the Timing Tables all match)

EGT High - 2,4 (Designs of timing tables Match also)

ect.

Just wondering if this was an error? or if there is actually good reason for it to be that way. :mrgreen:

GMC-2002-Dmax
September 2nd, 2014, 10:09 PM
Possibly the axis got swapped.

That is possible to do with WINOLS.

I think its more of how it gets displayed.

TONY

RADustin
September 2nd, 2014, 11:15 PM
many tables are swapped x for y in winols vs efilive.

not sure why but you can flip it to match.

GMC-2002-Dmax
September 2nd, 2014, 11:37 PM
I am going to edit this in Binary and then flash the ecm and then pull the tune out an see if it edits the proper mode table in EFI-Live software that is still locked out.

I think this is the map

Now where did I put that treasure map...............??

Maybe not, checksum will not recalculate as its outside of the memory area according to the software.

Tony

Mitco39
September 3rd, 2014, 02:07 AM
I think EFILive should hire you guys on as employees.

Chavez91
September 3rd, 2014, 10:12 AM
many tables are swapped x for y in winols vs efilive.

not sure why but you can flip it to match.

Possibly the axis got swapped.

That is possible to do with WINOLS.

I think its more of how it gets displayed.

TONY

HMM..... the only way i was able to get it was to set it to "2D Inverse" (Which seems to be how all the EFI tables are displayed) and then Manually swap the X, Y Axis Using the Hex reference/Start Address and then set it back to a 8X11 table from and 11x8 (changed when you set it to 2D inverse from twodimensional)...

It just seems completely weird from how every other table in EFI is loaded. Cause you dont have to 2d Inverse and then swap back the Axis and change the table size on any other table (boost, timing, rail, ect) Thats why i was wondering if it was correct or not.... :ermm:

The way Im thinking it should be displayed in EFI with the axis swapped ( Normal, regen1, regen2 ect on X Axis) (1-11 on Y) and displayed as a 11x8 table only because EFILive fills the info from Top to bottom instead of left to right (being EFI loads the map as a 2d inverse vs loading it as twodimensional). You'd end up with the same map as the bin just the Axis flipped.

(I know I probably made that a whole lot more confusing than it had to be)

GMPX
September 3rd, 2014, 02:02 PM
Next question I have will probably be for GMPX...

It involves the Main Injection Mode Assignment Table (B1250)

That's how it is displayed in EFI...

And I was able to find the table and this is how it displays in WinOLS. (using 8bit, twodimensional settings)
We don't use WinOLS so I don't understand how it displays maps by default, but from what Tony said WinOLS has an axis flip option, I guess by default we are showing it different. FWIW our V8 editing tool also has the flip axis option so you should be able to match the display in EFILive against OLS in the future.

I think EFILive should hire you guys on as employees.
But they still ask me technical mapping questions via PM's and Email, so how is that going to help :sly:
This is the very reason .cax files exist, you want to go it alone then it is up to you to go as crazy as you want adding maps in without waiting for EFILive to do so, gives you an edge too. I came to the conclusion that multi-tasking on this stuff gets us nowhere, so right now I am 100% focused on CSP5 for Cummins, not LML enhancements. The Bosch and Cummins ECM's couldn't be any different if they tried, I gave up trying to work on both at the same time.

Chavez91
October 10th, 2014, 01:50 PM
I think EFILive should hire you guys on as employees.But they still ask me technical mapping questions via PM's and Email, so how is that going to help :sly:

Haha! just me alone I still have more to learn about this stuff than I can even imagine.

No offence, but ross is most deffinately over twice my age :angel_innocent:

and has 10x the experience Ill ever have ;)

Chavez91
October 10th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Do have another question Ross,

When you talk about the RSA Security, are you referring to the 2 32bit passwords that are in the UCB? (Refering to the TC1796)

GMPX
October 11th, 2014, 10:33 AM
No offence, but ross is most deffinately over twice my age :angel_innocent:
I get enough crap about my age from my kids, who knew 40 was so old, the 90's only seems like yesterday to me.

When you talk about the RSA Security, are you referring to the 2 32bit passwords that are in the UCB? (Refering to the TC1796)
No it's not, it's the digital signature applied over the OS & Cals, Wiki has a good write up on RSA Digital Signatures. I'm not even sure what the 'UCB' is.

Chavez91
October 11th, 2014, 11:25 AM
I'm not even sure what the 'UCB' is.

The "UCB" is the User Configuration Blocks.

"The contents of the three User Configuration Blocks (UCBm, m = 0-2) determine userspecific
Flash configuration and protection functions such as keywords and sectorspecific
lock bits for the PFLASH........... The UCBs are implemented as a Flash memory. The addressing of the UCBs overlays
the cached addresses of the first 3 Kbyte of the PFLASH. The UCBs are not readable by
the user........[/I]

Later on in the user manual it describes that the functions of the "UCB" as it is what provides the Read/Write Protection of the PFlash and DFlash.

"In the TC1796, three different types of protection are possible:
• Read protection for PFLASH and DFLASH
(always implies also a global write protection for PFLASH and DFLASH)
• Sector write protection for PFLASH
• Sector OTP write protection for PFLASH......"

Its goes into alot further detail about how the protection works, but nor am I saying at all that you're wrong (hope you don't take it that way), this is just what I thought you were referring to.

I don't know if you have the TC1796 User Manual or not, its on Page 7-27 (Page 378 in the PDF) where it goes into more detail about it, if you wanted to read more.... I know your way more focused on other projects, and this is of no importance. I was just trying to understand this more to try and help out.

Infineon Manual Link (http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/tc1796_um_v2.0_2007_07.pdf?folderId=db3a304412b407 950112b41bc4432cb0&fileId=db3a304412b407950112b41bc4972cb1&sd=t)

rfinn04
October 11th, 2014, 12:51 PM
chavez91 could you pm me? I have some questions for you about lml tuning. Thanks

GMPX
October 11th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I don't know if you have the TC1796 User Manual or not,
Yes we do thanks Josh, but the RSA security is Bosch's code, nothing Infineon have implemented in hardware.

Chavez91
October 11th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Okie dokie! [emoji5]

HeavyD
March 10th, 2015, 09:43 AM
I'm having the same 98MPH issue on my 2013 LML. If anyone would care to help me get this taken care of on my truck please PM me. I've been working closely with my tuner but we've not been able to locate how to get this corrected. Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Chavez91
March 11th, 2015, 12:42 AM
B0608

HeavyD
March 11th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the info Chavez!! Very Much appreciated!! I'll let you know how it goes,,,

HeavyD
March 16th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Just wanted to give you guys an update...... Worked perfectly!! Thanks again Chavez!!

mrrattle
July 8th, 2015, 02:17 AM
so what did you set b0608 to in order to get rid of speed limiting?