PDA

View Full Version : Hate to go public but my best laptop won't connect to FS ?!

Bruce Melton
February 25th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I have used V5 and V6 EFILive and now Flashscan on various computers. Flashscan works great on my clunker W2K "tuner" laptop. The problem is my "best " laptop which is an XP Averatech with all the right stuff.
I want to use it for better screen resolution with busy dashboards. It will not connect and displays "No interface cable found Err_31" It is like it is looking for a cable driver but I cannot lead it to one. I have explored all the listed explanations and tried all com ports etc. I have never had a no connetion USB problem with this machine and I have hooked up plenty of gadgets including V7 demo.. I have removed and reinstallles V7-1.8 numerous times (including cable in device manager where it shows up under "?other devices") but no luck.
I consider myself and "8" level user with Windows but I am stumped.

Update > wiped HD and reloaded XP Pro> same deal.
Shop PC with XP Pro has same problem.

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Bruce

Blacky
February 26th, 2005, 10:53 AM
I would try the following things:
Look in the device manager in the USB section for "FlashScan" or "FTDI" devices and uninstall them.
Goto to Add/Remove programs and uninstall all FTDI USB drivers.
Note: if you have AutoTap installed, then don't uninstall the FTDI virtual Com port drivers or that will stop AutoTap from working.

Download the "USB View" program (second on the list):
http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm
Plug in FlashScan and run the program.
You should see a Vendor ID of $0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited) and a Product ID of $E4A0, which is the exclusive USB product ID for EFILive FlashScan FSP.
If those values are different then the drivers are not functioning/installed correctly.

Regards
Paul

dbaxter_ss
February 26th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I am sure its not XP Pro doing it, I am using XP pro now without a problem.

Are you hearing the USB ding ding when plugging it in showing it recognized the new USB device?

This was one of the few USB devices I have installed that actually recognized the device immediately, and after install of the driver off the CD all was happy.

Something you may want to try through device manager, is to goto your ports, and disable your comm ports. ( just for testing ) Unplug and plug the EFI cable in and see if its recognizes it. Some devices like my smart phone will not recognize while the comm port is enabled. Weird but happens.

Bruce Melton
February 26th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Paul,
I tried your steps on both grumpy machines and got essentially the same screen on both. Yes it does ding on plug in and it goes thru the try to install but nothing will install it. I have been at this all day. Some facts: it works on old Win 2000 Pent machine and a higher powered Athlon with XP home does not work on Pent laptop with XP then XP Pro and Pent XP Pro desktop??

Am using EFILiveV718_209_175_Setup

http://home.new.rr.com/meltn/usb.JPG

Blacky
February 26th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Paul,
I tried your steps on both grumpy machines and got essentially the same screen on both. Yes it does ding on plug in and it goes thru the try to install but nothing will install it. I have been at this all day. Some facts: it works on old Win 2000 Pent machine and a higher powered Athlon with XP home does not work on Pent laptop with XP then XP Pro and Pent XP Pro desktop??

On the machine(s) that do not appear to work, do you have Mutiple FTDI drivers listed in the Add/Remove programs window of Windows control Panel?
Paul

Blacky
February 26th, 2005, 12:37 PM
You should see the following data for FlashScan, displayed in USBView.

It appears that "EFILive FlashScan FSP" is not displayed in the right hand panel. That means EFILive Scan tool and Tuning Tool will not be able to "find" FlashScan. EFILive searches for a USB device called "EFILive FlashScan FSP".

Have you "uninstalled" the FTDI USB drivers using the Add/Remove programs option - instead of Windows Device manager? You must have FlashScan unplugged when you uninstall the USB drivers.

Regards
Paul

Bruce Melton
February 26th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Paul,

On the machine(s) that do not appear to work, do you have Mutiple FTDI drivers listed in the Add/Remove programs window of Windows control Panel?
Paul

Note EDIT<>

Well, of the two that work:

Both have FTDI listed.
Two that do not work have none listed

So I guess I need to find that driver??

Bruce

Bruce Melton
February 27th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Paul,
I think I am close but need to find right driver.

I am on FTDI's site and installed thier D10620 driver but still no connect. Tries to connect under "other devices".
Can you point me to the right driver???

Seems Windows does not really want you to install these drivers, so they fight you all the way.

Please and Thank You,

Bruce

Blacky
February 27th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Paul,
I think I am close but need to find right driver.

I am on FTDI's site and installed thier D10620 driver but still no connect. Tries to connect under "other devices".
Can you point me to the right driver???

Seems Windows does not really want you to install these drivers, so they fight you all the way.

Please and Thank You,

Bruce

Your comment about "fighting" for the right driver reminded me of this:

There is a known issue when installing the FTDI drivers - you must disconnect from the internet. That is because Windows XP will look on Microsoft's web site for a driver in prefernece to anything you select locally and install the wrong driver.
You can read about it here:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/InstallGuides/Windows_XP_Installation_Guide.pdf

Here is the relevant quote:

If you are running Windows XP or Windows XP SP 1, temporarily disconnect your PC from the Internet. This can be done by either removing the network cable from your PC or by disabling your network card by going to the "Control Panel\Network and Dial-Up Connections", rightclicking on the appropriate connection and selecting "Disable" from the menu. The connection can be re-enabled after the installation is complete. This is not necessary under Windows XP SP 2 if configured to ask before connecting to Windows Update. Windows XP SP 2 can have the settings for Windows Update changed through "Control Panel\System" then select the "Hardware" tab and click "Windows Update".

Bruce Melton
February 27th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Yes. I have been to that site and it is not even as easy as they imply.
I have gotten 2 installed/removed but now I cannot seem to pick the right one.
They offer several but it is impossible (for me) to guess the right one. I tried to pick the one from the PC that works but it is not clear since that is a W2k and the one I need is XP.
Drat!
Bruce

Blacky
February 27th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Yes. I have been to that site and it is not even as easy as they imply.
I have gotten 2 installed/removed but now I cannot seem to pick the right one.
They offer several but it is impossible (for me) to guess the right one. I tried to pick the one from the PC that works but it is not clear since that is a W2k and the one I need is XP.
Drat!
Bruce

The *ONLY* drivers that will work for FlashScan (for 98, 2K and XP) are available on the CD in Drivers\FlashScan.
These drivers are customized versions of the original FTDI drivers, specifically for FlashScan.

If you don't have the CD, you can download the FlashScan customized drivers here: http://www.efilive.com/downloads/downloads_drivers.html

Regards
Paul

Bruce Melton
February 27th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Ok, I am dangerous now. I totally missed your driver link.

Edit>>VICTORY!
Thanks,
Bruce

tdzee
March 1st, 2005, 06:26 AM
I had the same problem which turned out to be the missing USB cable driver. I had assumed that the SW install included it, but it apparently does not. Additionally, the Install Wizard, which is supposd to launch automatically when the cable is installed and Windows notices it, does not work. You will have to go into control panel/add hardware to do the install. Once loaded, all works. Good luck. FYI

Bruce Melton
March 1st, 2005, 06:37 AM
I had the same problem which turned out to be the missing USB cable driver. I had assumed that the SW install included it, but it apparently does not. Additionally, the Install Wizard, which is supposd to launch automatically when the cable is installed and Windows notices it, does not work. You will have to go into control panel/add hardware to do the install. Once loaded, all works. Good luck. FYI

Yes, pretty much as you stated.

In my case I had to load the cable driver seperate from the V7-1.8 software, which turned out unique to the two machines that would not see the cable. The last link Paul gave got me on track and problem solved.
Hours spent= embarrassing