PDA

View Full Version : Finally got the initial tune done.... I hope.

willn
July 18th, 2014, 02:16 AM
So, I went through basically all sections in the tune and changed everything I thought would be necessary to get my truck running at least. I wanted to post here and see if you experts would be able to take a quick look at the tune and determine if you think the truck should at lease idle and drive through the gears without a problem.

Three questions I had are the following:

If the tune has a traction control section, but I don't have that system on my truck, can I just ignore it?

Secondly, I didn't change anything in regards to timing, so I specifically curious, can I run stock timing with this setup?

Lastly, I didn't really change anything in transmission and wanted to know if this is just a tune and drive sort of thing to find the max output of each gear based on RPM and MPH?

All of this won't mean anything without a list of mods, so here is what I have on the truck:

2001 LQ4 bored and stroked to 408.
317 Stock Heads with Comp Lifters and Comp Springs
Wiseco dished 4.030" 9.5:1 CR pistons
Comp 230/238 .600 .603 @ 114 (Spec'd by Comp to maintain towing ability)
Melling High Volume, High Flow Pump
Cloyes single timing set
All new sensors in the block.
Whipple 2300AX (want to get to about 10-15psi)
Fully built 4L80E
Circle D 278mm 4L80E Torque Converter 2800 stall
Tru-Cool 40K Transmission cooler
1000cc at 43psi FIC Injectors, so with manifold referenced they are about 114lb/hr @ 58psi
Pacesetter 1-7/8" LTs Tri-Armor with true dual 3" custom system
Volant CAI with Scoop
Intercooler Kit - CX Racing 31x12x4
EFI Live V1 going to COS3 and SD tune.
34" Radiator w/ '05 Efans

picnic_george
July 18th, 2014, 02:43 AM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Kriznips/meme3452806392_zpscj1pduzl.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/Kriznips/media/meme3452806392_zpscj1pduzl.jpg.html)

willn
July 18th, 2014, 02:46 AM
OK, good information. How can I go about tuning initially?

I don't think increasing across the board by percentage is the best just to try, is it?

picnic_george
July 18th, 2014, 02:56 AM
If you're using COS3 use the boost timing table(or whatever it's called) don't have my laptop to give you the number or the actual name. But it will pull timing from the stock timing table based on boost I.E. 5 psi will pull 5 degrees ansd 15psi will pull 15 degrees(example).

Probably want to shoot for about 10* on 15 psi if you're running pump gas and work your way up from there. Some engines want to eat others are content to be super conservative.

willn
July 18th, 2014, 03:19 AM
Is there a way I can upgrade to COS3 without flashing the truck? I am just trying to get it running and idling first, then drive through all gears.

After that, I will need to go WOT to seat the rings properly.

picnic_george
July 18th, 2014, 04:12 AM
That thing won't even run without a reflash. Just on injector size alone nevermind the big cam, cubic inches, and blower, it will never even start.

edit~ Since yo've already reflashed it and it runs you're probably ok. Don't go WOT or even close to it. Once that thing is in boost you;ll need to pull timing. Not sure why you wouldn't migrate over to COS3 now but that's fine. IN SD mode with a stock map sensor you're going to have trouble fueling in boost, timing will be whatever yous et max to though.

willn
July 18th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Sorry, meant to put it in my mods, I have a 2.5bar MAP sensor also.

And DUH!! I have to flash anyways, so I will do COS3, I was just trying to do all I could before reflash.

So timing tuning is the big question mark for me now. How do most people do it? Change individual cells or change ranges? Just to start, not a complete tune I mean.

willn
July 20th, 2014, 03:51 AM
Anyone have any input as to how I should do timing tuning to get a base tune to start and drive through gears?