PDA

View Full Version : The lights are on but nobody is home

ATPCummins
July 22nd, 2014, 09:37 AM
I have a customer that just bought a v2. He plugged it into his computer after downloading the latest v7.5 and v8 software, and clicked on check firmware. His bootblock version was ok (2.07.07), but the firmware was out of date (didn't remember the version) so he clicked on update firmware. Somewhere during the process he said that his v2's screen went blank and all of the led's came on. He said that he closed the scan and tune and tried programming the firmware again after reopening it, but got a $0101 code. He tried using a different USB port and cable, restarting his computer, and uninstalling and reinstalling the efi software. He also tried programming the firmware when the v2 was in dead-poll mode but got the same error code. Now when he clicks on check firmware it says his firmware version is 2.07.64, but needs updated to the same version. When he plugs the v2 into his truck it will also just light up all of the led's, but not the screen. Any ideas??

IdahoRob
July 22nd, 2014, 11:53 AM
We have a new autocal with basically the same issues. Customer just downloaded July 19th software. Autocal is in a form of dead poll hooked to the truck or the computer and won't allow firmware update just flashing. Tries to check firmware, goes into not responsive mode, then times out and gives $0025

Tre-Cool
July 22nd, 2014, 04:27 PM
would be interesting to see where this goes...

I updated the firmware on my v2 a couple of weeks ago and the screen no longer shows any text. it lights up fine and the darkness can be adjusted fine, still program's and works via laptop perfectly fine also... logged a call for it, but not too thrilled about having to pay to get a replacement unit to fix a problem I didn't have prior.

IdahoRob
July 23rd, 2014, 04:35 AM
Customer told me it was an autocal and remote login had the autocal checked on his screen so I assumed it was an autocal. Mistake, he has a V2. This is a different customer then Mike has. We tried to duplicate the issue here with undated software and a few V2's from off the shelf and they updated fine.

joecar
July 23rd, 2014, 06:31 AM

I updated the firmware on my v2 a couple of weeks ago and the screen no longer shows any text. it lights up fine and the darkness can be adjusted fine, still program's and works via laptop perfectly fine also... logged a call for it, but not too thrilled about having to pay to get a replacement unit to fix a problem I didn't have prior.Strange...

Blacky
July 23rd, 2014, 08:51 AM
If a customer manages to program the AutoCal firmware into a FlashScan device you will see what is being described. A FlashScan with a blank screen and error $0101 no comms - since the firmware won't actually operate the FlashScan device.
I'm not sure how a customer would or could do that without explicitly renaming the AutoCal firmware file to have a name starting with "FS".

To fix that, you need to cold-boot FlashScan into dead-poll mode (i.e. hold down Ctrl on FlashScan's keypad while powering up FlashScan), then use EFILive Explorer to program in the correct firmware.

For reference the AutoCal firmware file (for the same firmware version) will always be smaller than the FlashScan firmware file. For V2.07.64 the AutoCal firmware file is 269KB and FlashScan is 316KB.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
July 23rd, 2014, 08:57 AM

I updated the firmware on my v2 a couple of weeks ago and the screen no longer shows any text. it lights up fine and the darkness can be adjusted fine, still program's and works via laptop perfectly fine also... logged a call for it, but not too thrilled about having to pay to get a replacement unit to fix a problem I didn't have prior.

Have you tried testing the LCD with the built in manufacturing tests?

Assuming you can't see the screen, here's the sequence of keys you need to press: F4->F4->F4, press OK, press left arrow. LCD should display a full screen of white pixels, then wipe vertically downward to a full screen of blue pixels, then display a grid where contrast can be adjusted using the up/down arrows.

Press Ok to exit LCD text, Press Cancel to exit manufacturing tests. Press Cancel twice more to get back to main/first menu.

If the LCD screen is faulty you can have that replaced for less than it costs for a replacement FlashScan. Contact SoCal Diesel, they handle repairs in the US.

Regards
Paul

ATPCummins
July 23rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
Thank you for the reply, Paul. We did also try programming the firmware using the scan and tune with the v2 in dead-poll, but not the explorer. We will give it a shot!

Tre-Cool
July 23rd, 2014, 01:28 PM
Have you tried testing the LCD with the built in manufacturing tests?

Assuming you can't see the screen, here's the sequence of keys you need to press: F4->F4->F4, press OK, press left arrow. LCD should display a full screen of white pixels, then wipe vertically downward to a full screen of blue pixels, then display a grid where contrast can be adjusted using the up/down arrows.

Press Ok to exit LCD text, Press Cancel to exit manufacturing tests. Press Cancel twice more to get back to main/first menu.

If the LCD screen is faulty you can have that replaced for less than it costs for a replacement FlashScan. Contact SoCal Diesel, they handle repairs in the US.

Regards
Paul

Will give that a shot tonight, but im located in Australia not the US. I'm also aware it could of died coincidentally at the same time as the firmware update. so not blaming the update entirely. electronic devices just love to crap out at the worst of times, get it at work all the time.

Blacky
July 23rd, 2014, 01:33 PM
Will give that a shot tonight, but im located in Australia not the US.

Doh! I knew that, sorry :) If it needs repair then you'll need to send it back here (Auckland NZ). Or if you're good with a soldering iron I can send you a replacement LCD screen (I think they're around $20-$30).

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
July 23rd, 2014, 01:38 PM
Does all the relevant "chip" work that transmits the text to the screen sit on the screen daughterboard too? (I assume that's what im replacing)

I just thought it unusual that I can do the screen grab via the software to see where it's at in the menu structure, adjust the darkness of the screen and see the pixels change from dark to light but have no text.

Blacky
July 23rd, 2014, 01:49 PM
Does all the relevant "chip" work that transmits the text to the screen sit on the screen daughterboard too? (I assume that's what im replacing)

The screen grab is software based. The screen image is maintained in RAM by the FlashScan firmware and the LCD is updated regularly from the RAM image. The screen grab just grabs the RAM image and sends it back to the PC for conversion to a *.png image.

The LCD and its control/driver chips are all part of the single replacement unit. The replacement requires de-soldering all 20 pins simultaneously (which is not a trivial task without the right equipment) so that the LCD can be removed/replaced.

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
July 23rd, 2014, 02:07 PM
Excellent, for the sake of something less than $50 or $60 inc postage I might as well get one.

joecar
July 24th, 2014, 03:11 AM
If you have a V2 which has LCD contrast control, are you sure that you have tried to vary the contrast to see if the LCD text shows up...?

( just a thought )

Tre-Cool
July 24th, 2014, 03:14 AM
yeah, i can make it dark enough to see the pixel blocks that make up the screen. no dice.

joecar
July 24th, 2014, 03:28 AM
ok, just checking.

ATPCummins
July 30th, 2014, 04:02 AM
Update: We used the efi explorer to program in the correct flash scan firmware into the v2 while it was in dead poll mode. No change to v2 - still a blank screen with all LEDs illuminated. We will be exchanging inoperative the unit with the customer.