PDA

View Full Version : Mode Assignments Locked out?

RADustin
August 6th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Why are the mode assignments locked out; un-editable?

Is it because I have the american version or will changing them cause no starts, dead pedals, bricked ecu...etc?

GMPX
August 6th, 2014, 04:13 PM
No it is like that on all versions, we will allow them to be changed in the next update, other people have asked to be able to change them just to simplify tuning.

RADustin
August 6th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Got it.

Sounds good.

Does seem easier to command the truck to a single mode and touch only those maps.

Really makes me wish a sort-of DSP was figured out.

GMPX
August 6th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Really makes me wish a sort-of DSP was figured out.
Will NEVER happen with the LML ECM as we do on the earlier Duramax's and Cummins, I can say that with 100% certainty.

RADustin
August 6th, 2014, 10:12 PM
I understand it would need to be different.- but it sort of has it stock with the modes.

That's what gives me hope.

Mitco39
August 7th, 2014, 12:57 AM
Will NEVER happen with the LML ECM as we do on the earlier Duramax's and Cummins, I can say that with 100% certainty.

What if you found a way to control what modes were running at the time and use the internal layout of the ecm to run the different modes? That would be kinda neat but I know that the E86 is a can of worms for sure.

RADustin
August 7th, 2014, 07:12 AM
That is basically my idea.

But- what is a basic idea can be very tricky to implement.

Seems like there was talk early on about using the native ECM modes to make DSP possible but I haven't heard anything lately. This either means it's a terrible idea OR someone is developing it for profit. I guess we'll see.

GMPX
August 7th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Whatever the method it would have to be done using the ECM as it is, there is RSA validation on the OS so no code mods are possible.

RADustin
August 7th, 2014, 09:32 AM
So we need road runner style emulator hardware that can treat the assignment tables as RAM.

Hope is quickly fading.

GMPX
August 7th, 2014, 10:05 AM
RR type emulator is not possible, CPU is too fast and the flash is internal to the CPU.........all hope is gone :laugh:

RADustin
August 7th, 2014, 10:44 AM
at least I finally have answers.

It seems like such a sweet possibility- having the modes and all already there.

RADustin
August 7th, 2014, 10:57 AM
say I put mode 0 for everything except for EGT high row. That row- say I put mode 1.

could a DSP2 be as simple as fooling the stock EGT sensors into thinking they are too hot and going to different modes? Besides the legalities of making sensor emulators- it seems like it may work?

DURAtotheMAX
August 7th, 2014, 12:10 PM
say I put mode 0 for everything except for EGT high row. That row- say I put mode 1.

could a DSP2 be as simple as fooling the stock EGT sensors into thinking they are too hot and going to different modes? Besides the legalities of making sensor emulators- it seems like it may work?

x2. Thats exactly what I was thinking of.

Although I was going to use the baro input...that would be easiest of all. Have to take apart the ECM to tap into the baro sensor though.

That would effectively give you DSP-3

Ben

RADustin
August 7th, 2014, 12:23 PM
I like the trucks ability to adjust per altitude though.

But I don't see how this wouldn't work.

rcr1978
August 7th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Later down the road is there going to be hopes of adding a pid in the scan tool that actually tells the mode being used?

GMPX
August 7th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Mmm, I'm not even sure the ECM supports DMA PID's (which is what that would require), they really, really didn't want people fiddling so RAM access for DMA's might be off the cards too. The joys of Bosch folks :bad:

Chavez91
August 9th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Well, If the "EGT high" idea works, then you would have a semi DSP3 because doesn't the Tow Haul mode use its own set of Torque to fuel, boost tables, ect? Mode 6 correct? So you can have a dedicated tow tune in tow haul, a stock/ street/milage tune for normal driving in mode 0, then trigger your race tune by switching the EGT high and setting that as mode 1? Sure you'd have to have the "big" pulse, but you can adjust the timing tables for each mode and re work your Pedal Position and fuel pressure tables for those modes also.

It seems feasible at least.

RADustin
August 9th, 2014, 08:41 AM
is tow haul mode 6? where did you find that?

and what do you mean by "big" pulse?

edit- if you are talking about B0004- the pedal modes are independent of the fuel and injection timing modes.

The idea here would be to manipulate B1250-B1256. But I still don't get those table axis. The y axis is ok- but the x seems strange. Not sure what 1-11 line up with.

GMPX
August 9th, 2014, 09:58 AM
The y axis is ok- but the x seems strange. Not sure what 1-11 line up with.
Not what you want to hear from the people who gave you EFILive for LML, but we don't know either :music_whistling_1:

RADustin
August 9th, 2014, 10:43 AM
You've told me that before- I aim to find out one day LOL. I'll pass it along should it ever work out in my head...

To me- its crazy a table is mapped yet the variables aren't fully understood.

Does that mean efilive bought/acquired the 'definitions' for LML and didn't map them in house? I've always wondered that.

GMPX
August 10th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Does that mean efilive bought/acquired the 'definitions' for LML and didn't map them in house? I've always wondered that.
All done in house, we've only got a couple of supported controllers that we did not map (the gas Vortec PCM, 4 Cyl PCM come to mind).

ScarabEpic22
August 11th, 2014, 09:59 AM
All done in house, we've only got a couple of supported controllers that we did not map (the gas Vortec PCM, 4 Cyl PCM come to mind).

and your favorite LL8/P10? :D Had to bring it up!

Interesting read though guys, Ive got a diesel in my future down the road (~3 years probably) and of course tuning will play a factor into what I buy!

GMPX
August 11th, 2014, 10:17 AM
and your favorite LL8/P10? :D Had to bring it up!
Ah yes, how could I forget that gem :grin:
It makes absolutely no sense why GM did things the way they did back then, essentially a PCM hardware base that was about 90%+ the same internally yet every engine type seemed to run code that was in no way related to the other.

Interesting read though guys, Ive got a diesel in my future down the road (~3 years probably) and of course tuning will play a factor into what I buy!
I don't know what GM's plans are for future Diesels but at some point the aftermarket will be shut down as OEM's tighten the security on them. The next generation of Infineon CPU's targeted at Automotive use makes the future of DIY tuning look bleak. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infineon_AURIX ,the Hardware Security Module (HSM)!

Quote: "Anticipating upcoming security and protection requirements Infineon has integrated a programmable hardware security module (HSM) into the AURIX family. The HSM uses leading edge hardware-based encryption technology developed by Infineon, the world’s technology leader in hardware-based security technology. This HSM as “embedded chip card” enhances protection against attacks of IP infringement, fraud and software hijacking."

When a chip designer puts hardware based encryption in to the CPU it is not a good sign that it will be hackable.

I think down the track (maybe 4 or 5 years time) companies who make 'race' ECM's will need to branch in to drop in replacements for OEM ECM's which already happens now on a few models.

RADustin
August 11th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I think down the track (maybe 4 or 5 years time) companies who make 'race' ECM's will need to branch in to drop in replacements for OEM ECM's which already happens now on a few models.

I think that is exactly where we are headed. I was worried for a while the LML was going to be the first of many...

GMPX
August 11th, 2014, 12:21 PM
It could have been, there is some EDC17's that cannot be tuned, even via JTAG, maybe GM thought the better of it and figured sales would drop and the reality is that will happen once they are not tunable.

RADustin
August 11th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Yep- Agree 100%. I originally thought that would be the case... or we'd be changing chips on the board or something else crazy. For so long it has seemed- if there is enough motivation it can be done. Now that may not be the case.

Still though- GM would be dumb to not keep the duramax marketable to industry for boats and other equipment that doesn't have such tight standards. I feel this will always leave us a backdoor until they are putting DPF and pig piss injection on literally everything. Er- thinking about it- probably won't be long.

GMPX
August 11th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Yep- Agree 100%. I originally thought that would be the case... or we'd be changing chips on the board or something else crazy. .
Unfortunately nearly all modern CPU's have enough flash memory INSIDE the CPU there is no external flash memory at all, that allows them to lock down the contents even further as there is literally nothing to swap (in the case of flash chips) unless you plan on removing a 400 pin BGA chip!

Mitco39
August 13th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Unfortunately nearly all modern CPU's have enough flash memory INSIDE the CPU there is no external flash memory at all, that allows them to lock down the contents even further as there is literally nothing to swap (in the case of flash chips) unless you plan on removing a 400 pin BGA chip!

We might even see chips coming back to market to be able to fool these unlockable ECUs, which unfortunately will put us all back running black boxes with god knows what as our final values.

GMPX
August 13th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Yes and then they will probably make the diagnostics so good they will detect these boxes, pretty annoying situation.