PDA

View Full Version : Reducing smoke prior to turbo spool

thunder550
August 17th, 2014, 06:50 AM
How are you guys reducing smoke output when the throttle increases before the turbo spools? If I'm cruising along and nail the throttle, I get a large cloud of dark smoke out the tailpipe until the turbo catches up, then it cleans up nicely. I'd like to reduce or eliminate the smoke, it's a little embarrassing.

Chavez91
August 17th, 2014, 01:44 PM
The B0751 MAF Limiting Table does a good job. You can log the Grams/Cyl using the CALC.CYLAIR PID and reduce the MM3 in the areas you want less smoke.

Chavez91
August 18th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Hey! You're the 1500 thats from AZ right!? Are you going to Firebird on the 22nd? Ill be rolling with Dylan out to the track! If you still need help, i can lend a hand if you need one while we are there. :cheers:

thunder550
August 18th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Yep that's me :) I'll be out there Friday night! I'll bring my laptop, if you can just give me a quick overview of that table that would be awesome, I can play around with the values and do some testing as I have time afterwards. Thanks!

THEFERMANATOR
August 18th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Also playing with the timing can help. I run my timing right around 30% in the spool areas, but go up to 50-55% in the power areas. I tried going higher than 55% before and it didn't keep the turbo lit as well. And if you take to much out in the MAF table it will make it a dog. I went to far with mine before, and it actually smoked longer because the turbo spooled so much slower. I still need to do some ironing out in my tune to get some more smoke out of the mid range.

killerbee
August 24th, 2014, 02:49 AM
How are you guys reducing smoke output when the throttle increases before the turbo spools? If I'm cruising along and nail the throttle, I get a large cloud of dark smoke out the tailpipe until the turbo catches up, then it cleans up nicely. I'd like to reduce or eliminate the smoke, it's a little embarrassing.

I would suggest using an EQ ratio custom pid. Using the shape of that logged curve will allow you to see the rpm, etc where the smoke is occuring in excess. Then slowly chip away at B0751 until you find the performance/smoke compromise you want.