PDA

View Full Version : DVT - Cruise Control

gpr
August 18th, 2014, 05:32 AM
The cruise control isn't working on my 2002 camaro, and I'm trying to figure out why. I see in the scan tools DVT that there is an option to "inhibit" cruise control... which I'd have to assume will not let it work when turned on. Is there a way I can activate cruise with the scan tool?

I'm wondering what is causing cruise to not work, as I have change the cruise module out with a different one. I'm thinking maybe the set/resume buttons might not be working on the turn signal stick? But I don't know how to test them.

Is there anything else that would not let cruise function? I don't have any fault codes, but the abs, tcs, and brake light are on since my rear end (9") doesn't have the speed sensor gears installed on the axles. Would this cause cruise to not function properly?

gpr
August 20th, 2014, 08:59 AM
No ideas or suggestions?

joecar
August 20th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Hi gpr,

Cruise control is a function of the Cruise Control Module and not the PCM;

the communications between CCM and PCM are as follows (via a separate signal wire for each):
- PCM tells CCM the value of VSS;
- CCM tells PCM when CC is engaged;
- PCM can ask CCM to inhibit CC;

so as you can see, there is no way to ask the PCM to engage CC.

joecar
August 20th, 2014, 12:02 PM
There is a service manual procedure for toubleshooting the CC switchs/module... do you want me to pull it up...?

joecar
August 20th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Attached is 2001 F-car wiring diagrams for CC...

gpr
August 21st, 2014, 01:43 AM
There is a service manual procedure for toubleshooting the CC switchs/module... do you want me to pull it up...?

If you could that would be great!!!! Right now I'm not really sure what is going on or why it doesn't work.

joecar
August 21st, 2014, 12:07 PM
Ok, I'll pull it up shortly...

ttls1
August 22nd, 2014, 06:08 PM
I think the pid GM.STATE04 may indicate if the cruise control is active. This may indicate if the stepper motor is faulty and all other inputs are working.

gpr
August 23rd, 2014, 11:06 AM
If i never see it active, does that mean then that the switch is likely the cause and isn't giving the signal to activate cruise?

joecar
August 23rd, 2014, 11:47 AM
gpr, sorry fr the delay, I'll pull up the service manual tonite...

joecar
August 23rd, 2014, 12:10 PM
gpr,

with or without ECT (traction control)(RPO NW9)...?

gpr
August 23rd, 2014, 01:04 PM
The car originally had traction control and abs. But I have swapped out the throttle cables and now it has a direct cable to the throttle body from the gas peddle and the cruise control module.

joecar
August 23rd, 2014, 01:18 PM
gpr, assuming with ECT, see attached service manual excerpts.

ttls1
August 23rd, 2014, 06:50 PM
If i never see it active, does that mean then that the switch is likely the cause and isn't giving the signal to activate cruise?

I would think it will only show active if it is actually operating. It could be quite a few things and I think the best way would be to test for voltage at the plug. Work out what pin is for each input and get someone to sit in the car and run through the switches and the brake while you check for voltage.

gpr
August 25th, 2014, 03:41 AM
Thank you joecar!!!

i will go through the diagnostic steps. Odd thing is I have not DTC's....

Highlander
August 26th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Same here...........

ttls1
August 26th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I don't think you will get many DTC's with the cable cruise control module. They are more for the DBW setup with a TAC unit. I am pretty sure the cable systems are similar if not the same as the units we have on the holdens. Basically a fully standalone unit with a single cruise engaged input to the PCM.