PDA

View Full Version : DEF Speed limiter

rcr1978
August 26th, 2014, 05:40 AM
I'm working on a 2015 GMC with a full exhaust system removal, all is well with the truck and it's happy with no codes then after a 150 miles it has 65mph speed limiter with no messages or codes, then after another 50 miles it's limited to 55. So I'm assuming it's the def related limiters but I have all 3 maxed and the def speed limiter option set to no but im still being limited. It goes away for another 150 miles after a new tune is flashed. Anyone else seeing this?

Mitco39
August 26th, 2014, 05:59 AM
I have literally 50-60 hours in trying to figure out why some deletes work and others do not. Im not surprised you have this issue, however I did do a 15 last week and so far I have not heard back from him (although I hope this means that he just hasn't drove the truck over 150 miles yet). Anyone who has spent years tuning with EFILive should have no issue just going in and playing with the settings they give you. But unfortunately that is not the case. Everytime I think I found something that may work I hit wall.

Have you played with the CanBus incoming and outgoing messages?

rcr1978
August 26th, 2014, 06:01 AM
I have not yet but that's the next step

Mitco39
August 26th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Play around in there. I had to to get the 15 to settle down.

rcr1978
August 26th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Ok thanks descriptions were pretty vague so I was a little hesitant.

Mitco39
August 26th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Ive played a bunch in there and havent found nothing that cannot be reversed with a flash.

GMPX
August 26th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Ok thanks descriptions were pretty vague so I was a little hesitant.
For a reason, it is open heart surgery in there.

rfinn04
October 20th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Rumor mill makes it sound like if you change the wrong value in the Canbus it will lock up the ECM. Has anyone had this happen or know which tables/values that should be absolutely off limits?

Dmaxink
October 20th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Rumor mill makes it sound like if you change the wrong value in the Canbus it will lock up the ECM. Has anyone had this happen or know which tables/values that should be absolutely off limits?

If it's in efilive, then it's ok to change.... Just know your goal and what the table means before you change it.

dansdieselp
October 20th, 2014, 01:14 PM
It will run fine with every unknown CAN message turned off, but it won't fix the problem. You'll lose Tow Haul, Exhaust Brake and other random functions.

Mitco39
October 20th, 2014, 04:03 PM
What if you turn them all off and then only turn on the ones to get the truck to start just to see if one of the can messages may be misnamed?

Chavez91
October 20th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Its not so much about them being named wrong as it is knowing which messages to disable. The Unknown/unnamed ones do serve a purpose, its just which ones to turn off and leave on. Like dansdieselp said, turn the wrong ones off and you could loose other functions that require communication from other modules. Its just alot of experimenting and a hint of luck. Combinations..... Its the bit word with the LML Deletes.

Mitco39
October 21st, 2014, 01:48 AM
All I am saying is do not trust the labels on the canbus messages as it would be very possible that one could be the egr function and if its named in such a way as like "fuel system status" you would look right over it. If I had a LML to play with full time thats where I would start personally. Work backwards through them, you might even find that other issues are solved this way. I know it would be very very time consuming to do so, but what isn't when trying to get these trucks to run.

Thats all im saying, I know that this is how I found out how to make the truck build any boost I am calling for and not fall off at 22 psi.

Just an idea.

Chavez91
October 21st, 2014, 02:22 AM
Just don't forget the hundreds of hours Ross puts into these tables. The man takes pride in the product they offer. I'm sure he wouldn't list a table or parameter unless he was sure of what it did.

Dmaxink
October 21st, 2014, 02:26 AM
To understand fully what a table means is like brain surgery. I wish people could understand how truly complicated it is to do what Ross does. EFILIVE does a amazing job on deciphering what things are, and on top of that they do it without even having a truck in front of them!

The labels they use are 95% of the time absolutely accurate and if they aren't sure they will normally put unknown. How they do this without a truck, amazing.... I will always have the utmost respect for Ross and Paul.

Mitco39
October 21st, 2014, 02:29 AM
Josh,

this is no way a dig at the work EFI Live does.This E86 is a bag of worms for everyone not just us. I was simply suggesting another way to go about it.

Take it or leave it. But at the end of the day when you played with all the unknowns then you have to start suspecting the others. That is if it is even possible, which no one knows until someone puts in the time.

Like Kory said they somehow do this without a local truck to play with. I am starting to think they are secretly in the US or Mexico during their development process :P

RADustin
October 22nd, 2014, 10:49 AM
Robert,

I just emailed you a cax to use. I think it will work.

Chavez91
October 22nd, 2014, 04:29 PM
Josh,

this is no way a dig at the work EFI Live does.This E86 is a bag of worms for everyone not just us. I was simply suggesting another way to go about it.

Take it or leave it. But at the end of the day when you played with all the unknowns then you have to start suspecting the others. That is if it is even possible, which no one knows until someone puts in the time.

Like Kory said they somehow do this without a local truck to play with. I am starting to think they are secretly in the US or Mexico during their development process :P

No biggie buddy, not trying to bash you.

Its not the Labled tables that Im concerned with/interested in.... its the unknown/unlabled ones. Because Im thinking by 2015 there are more used CAN messages then what was used in the 2011's and they are some of the unlabled ones. Ive been there where you feel you've tried everything.... and question them.... usually starting fresh with a different approach has worked pretty well for me and that is one way of going about it.

Mitco39
October 22nd, 2014, 04:36 PM
For sure Josh. Right now the 15s ive done have the EGR intact and I have not come across this issue so I have no real experience with it.

DURAtotheMAX
October 23rd, 2014, 01:49 AM
I like the adaptive cruise CAN messages.

Obviously the 2015+ K2XX platform supports adaptive cruise because the SUV's have it. Since the SUV electrical system is obviously (99%) the same as the pickup trucks, I cant help but wonder if it would be possible to retrofit adaptive cruise. If I had unlimited funds, I would buy a 2015 and sure as hell would try!!

Only issue is the ABS module though. Obviously adaptive cruise is integrated with ABS because adaptive cruise needs to be able to command rapid brake apply without the driver touching the brakes. Both the SUV's and the truckse use TRW EBC460 ABS-module hardware, but the pump motors may or may not be slightly different due to the fact that I would think adaptive cruise braking would need a pretty powerful/efficient pump to be able to build enough pre-charge pressure to apply all 4 brakes simultaneously during an adaptive-cruise brake request event (as opposed to a basic oversteer-understeer ESC/TCS event where generally only one or two wheel circuits require pressure build)...

Just a rambling/something I got a kick out of the first time I looked at LML CAN messages. Im sure it (adaptive cruise) will get to the HD's within the next year or two. GM has already done the R&D on adaptive cruise for the K2XX SUV's, and Ford has it available on the new 2015 F-150, so it would only make sense that the pickup trucks will get it very soon.

It would just be cool to have the first one.... :D

Sorry for the off topic

Mitco39
October 23rd, 2014, 02:44 AM
You and your retrofits! I remember seeing your work all the time when I hung out on diesel place and duramax forum. Not enough time in the day to spend as much time on there as I like. But if someone can figure it out I am sure its you.

GMPX
October 23rd, 2014, 10:05 AM
Guys, please take note of the warning......

You would normally only alter this table for engine conversions where different vehicle platforms require different messages to be enabled or disabled or engine swaps where no other GM modules are present.
** IMPORTANT ** DO NOT ALTER THIS TABLE IF YOU ARE UNSURE WHAT YOU ARE DOING, RESULTS OF SHUTTING OFF OR ENABLING MESSAGES MAY RESULT IN UNPREDICTABLE VEHICLE OPERATION.

dansdieselp
October 23rd, 2014, 10:09 AM
Maybe a ZF6 swap [emoji4]

rcr1978
October 23rd, 2014, 05:33 PM
Just figured I would update this, it's been a while since I've messed with this truck but it has been trouble free for 1500+ miles with no codes or speed limiters. I turned everything off related to scr/dpf ect....... still had speed limiters at 150-175 miles. If I remember correctly the trouble was the NOX sensor settings in the vehicle options folder that finally fixed it. Thanks to everyone that had any input if someone is struggling with this I will gladly help.

catman3126
October 30th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Maybe a ZF6 swap [emoji4]

Now that would be badass

HeavyD
February 2nd, 2015, 03:14 PM
Newbie to this forum,,, please forgive me if this might be covered somewhere else... I had a 2013 LML tuned recently and now I have a message on the DIC stating that the Emissions System needs to be checked -175 miles to 65 mph. It counts down as I drive it but resets to 175 miles once the truck sits for a while. Also when flashing the truck, the code is gone while driving the first time post flash. Once you turn the key off for approximately 2-5 minutes and then turn back on the message is back on the DIC. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

dansdieselp
February 2nd, 2015, 03:18 PM
Newbie to this forum,,, please forgive me if this might be covered somewhere else... I had a 2013 LML tuned recently and now I have a message on the DIC stating that the Emissions System needs to be checked -175 miles to 65 mph. It counts down as I drive it but resets to 175 miles once the truck sits for a while. Also when flashing the truck, the code is gone while driving the first time post flash. Once you turn the key off for approximately 2-5 minutes and then turn back on the message is back on the DIC. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

We ran into this same issue on a 14. We fixed it by leaving egr valve and throttle controls enabled and unplugged every dpf, egr, and nox sensors and the 9th injector solenoid and the throttle valve. So anything relating to emissions unplug it. Don't forget the nox sensor on the firewall. Not sure what killed it, but no issue since then.

HeavyD
February 2nd, 2015, 03:23 PM
Thanks! Will give that a try and let you know!!

Mitco39
February 2nd, 2015, 03:45 PM
We ran into this same issue on a 14. We fixed it by leaving egr valve and throttle controls enabled and unplugged every dpf, egr, and nox sensors and the 9th injector solenoid and the throttle valve. So anything relating to emissions unplug it. Don't forget the nox sensor on the firewall. Not sure what killed it, but no issue since then.

I narrowed it down to the throttle valve. Keep that enabled and you're good to go.

HeavyD
February 2nd, 2015, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys,, much appreciated! We'll try reflashing it tomorrow and I'll post how it goes...

Dmaxink
February 2nd, 2015, 05:03 PM
The January 27th release has the misc speed limiters in it to fix the issue :-)

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji482]

dansdieselp
February 2nd, 2015, 05:04 PM
The January 27th release has the misc speed limiters in it to fix the issue :-)

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji482]

Got that. He's referring to the message that pops up saying service emissions system. 175 miles to 55mph.

Dmaxink
February 2nd, 2015, 05:06 PM
Got that. He's referring to the message that pops up saying service emissions system. 175 miles to 55mph.

Ahhh I gotcha.... Yeah that one sucked too.

GMC-2002-Dmax
February 3rd, 2015, 03:49 AM

Yeah it did !@%$@*&^!(!)

Chavez91
February 3rd, 2015, 04:10 AM

Yeah it did !@%$@*&^!(!)

^^^ what they said.

HeavyD
February 9th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Hey Guys, I wanted to give a big THANKS!! Your suggestions worked perfectly!! No More DIC Message...A couple small items and I'll be ready to rock and roll!!

dansdieselp
February 9th, 2015, 04:04 PM
You're welcome.

Sickll7crenshaw
August 19th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I am new to this forum but the reason im bumping this thread is because I am having the exact same issue as the OP mentioned in his first post. 150-175 it'll limp the truck, no codes, no lights, no messages. The truck is a 2015 LML also. I understand sometimes it's not the smartest idea to go into the CAN and start disabling things but I see Robert seemed to fix his issue in the CAN. I PMed him but he hasn't been on in a few days and any help now would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
My email is blakecrenshaw@yahoo.com I tried posting but said a mod would have to view before It was visible, but I did turn disable what you have below but still limits me. I did miss a couple of Nox sensor parameters in the lower can tables, so hoping to disable those two nox tables and it works. If you could email me Robert I would appreciate it!

rcr1978
August 19th, 2016, 03:28 PM
What happened to that crenshaw guys post?

Sickll7crenshaw
August 19th, 2016, 11:59 PM
It's blakecrenshaw@yahoo.com
Yes sir made those changes to the table and still limps the truck although I did miss two Nox sensor in the lower can tables that are by themselves, maybe I need to disable those also and then it will work?

Sickll7crenshaw
September 23rd, 2016, 01:22 PM
I've done what Robert suggested doing in the Can Bus but still no luck on this issue. I've talked to serveral guys and they haven't had any luck why the truck is still limping at 175miles to 65 with my switch combo and what else I've done within the tune. When it limps it has no lights/messages on the dash. I'm stumped and ready to figure this out. It's a cab and chassis 2015. If anyone has any advice or may be able to tell me what I'm not turning off or need to turn on I'll be all ears and greatly appreciate the help on this one.
Thanks

rcr1978
September 23rd, 2016, 01:55 PM
I'm running a 2015 Cab/chassis and it's been good maybe post your stock file or email me your tune.

Sickll7crenshaw
September 23rd, 2016, 01:58 PM
I'm running a 2015 Cab/chassis and it's been good maybe post your stock file or email me your tune.

What's your email Robert?? Thanks

rcr1978
September 23rd, 2016, 02:01 PM
rcr1978 at msn dot com

rcr1978
September 23rd, 2016, 04:11 PM
I lost your original email so I used the address you posted on the previous page.

S Phinney
September 26th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Just figured I would update this, it's been a while since I've messed with this truck but it has been trouble free for 1500+ miles with no codes or speed limiters. I turned everything off related to scr/dpf ect....... still had speed limiters at 150-175 miles. If I remember correctly the trouble was the NOX sensor settings in the vehicle options folder that finally fixed it. Thanks to everyone that had any input if someone is struggling with this I will gladly help.

You must have removed the def tank then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcr1978
September 26th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Tank has been off since this thread was started, the trouble with mine was not disabling the nox sensors in the can folders

S Phinney
September 26th, 2016, 01:51 PM
With removing the tank I know where your troubles came from. I just hadn't been here in a while a read the thread.

rcr1978
September 26th, 2016, 01:58 PM
I'm lost the trucks been trouble free for two years 35,000 miles other than the standard boost fight with these pos's I got a good handle on it but it does not do what it's told on long pulls with a heavy load.

Edit: I think I know were your coming from i'm a little slow today lol, Is there few OS's that just will not play nice with the tank module removed? If so luckily I haven't fought with one yet.

Snipesy
September 26th, 2016, 03:05 PM
I'm lost the trucks been trouble free for two years 35,000 miles other than the standard boost fight with these pos's I got a good handle on it but it does not do what it's told on long pulls with a heavy load.

Edit: I think I know were your coming from i'm a little slow today lol, Is there few OS's that just will not play nice with the tank module removed? If so luckily I haven't fought with one yet.

What OS are you using?

rcr1978
September 26th, 2016, 03:36 PM

Sickll7crenshaw
October 12th, 2016, 08:58 PM
I'm playing with a 7378os and the truck still is doing the same thing as the OP stated in the very first post in this thread... I've tried everything. Shane is there something I'm missing? I've been through the CAN I've switched up my switch combos I've tried different OSs but had stuff like the stability trac and what now messages pop up using different OSs. I'm at a loss on this truck. At this point I'm willing to pay someone to help me figure this out. I've flashed it 11 times already and it still will go 175miles after the flash then limit it to 65mph.. No codes no messages..

S Phinney
October 13th, 2016, 12:44 AM
You would like send me what you are working with and I will look over it for you. Venom diesel performance at gmail.
Shane

Sickll7crenshaw
October 13th, 2016, 01:32 AM
Thanks Shane, I'll send it over after work or at lunch. I hope I don't have to reinstall the def tank as I do not have it anymore (sold it to a dealership).

S Phinney
October 13th, 2016, 01:56 AM
You shouldn't need to.

rcr1978
October 13th, 2016, 03:49 AM
When you tried the different OS's did you go through the can folders and make the switches match the original file to see if the stabiltrack ect messages will go away?

Sickll7crenshaw
October 13th, 2016, 05:35 AM
Yes sir Robert I did, I loaded the OS out of your truck and there were about 15 DTCs that popped up and they didn't match in the DTC folder when I went to disable them, some didn't even exist in the tune as what they were showing when I pulled the DTCs up from the truck. So I flashed another 7378os out of a truck that is running just fine without issues and stabiltrac message would not go away no matter what I did in the CAN. So I flashed it yesterday with the correct stock OS for it and did a lot of different switch combos to give that a try. It's been a bitch...

S Phinney
October 13th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Sent you the tune back.

Cwalt50
October 30th, 2016, 12:33 PM
RADustin I have a question for you can you please private message me or email me at cwdiesel@Hotmail.com

Thanks,
Cliff