PDA

View Full Version : No start.

curtbriggs
February 25th, 2005, 01:52 PM
After programing the PCM, the engine will fire only in the start position, I have to momentarily disconnect the battery for the engine to start and run normally. It happened for the first time today, three different times.

Thanks, Curt

GMPX
February 25th, 2005, 06:29 PM
First thing, please make sure you turn the IGN off and leave off for about 5 seconds after reflashing (about 10secs on 2003+ vehicles).
Don't try to restart the car without doing so.

Try this and let us know how you go

Cheers,
Ross

curtbriggs
February 26th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Ross, when the "remove key" window comes up, I click on OK and remove the key for the 15 sec. count. I did this six times yesterday also in SCAN, I delete the list of DTCs but they all come back until I disconnect the battery. Most are com. codes.

Thanks, Curt

bink
February 26th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Ross, when the "remove key" window comes up, I click on OK and remove the key for the 15 sec. count. I did this six times yesterday also in SCAN, I delete the list of DTCs but they all come back until I disconnect the battery. Most are com. codes.

Thanks, Curt

Hmmmmmm..... I'm Having a similar prob with my Vette. In fact it's on the Charger now as I ran the battery down screwing with a bunch of repeating codes. I pulled all sorts of fuses which usually works for the TAC and/or BCM module. The MIL (Check Engine) stays lit and the codes reurn Most are com codes (TAC and BCM) and a recurrent P0120 TPS.
I'll post back in awhile after I recharge.

Cheers,
joel

curtbriggs
February 26th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Joel, Paul recommends using the battery charger while scanning to keep the voltage up otherwise FlashScan will reject or not work when the voltage drops. See my thread on PCM back up, Paul's reply is in there.
Curt

Hmmmmmm..... I'm Having a similar prob with my Vette. In fact it's on the Charger now as I ran the battery down screwing with a bunch of repeating codes. I pulled all sorts of fuses which usually works for the TAC and/or BCM module. The MIL (Check Engine) stays lit and the codes reurn Most are com codes (TAC and BCM) and a recurrent P0120 TPS.
I'll post back in awhile after I recharge.

Cheers,
joel[/quote]

bink
February 26th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Thanks!
I will try this:

There may be one or more modules on your vehicle that are not listed in the [OBDII (F7)] tab page [MODs] subpage. If that is the case and if one of those modules has a DTC set then EFILive will not clear it.

EFILive attempts to autodetect all modules on the class 2 bus. However some modules do not respond to EFILive's queries, so EFILive assumes those modules do not exist.

There is an option in the Properties window on the [Advanced] tab page called: "Check/Clear DTCs for all modules.", make sure that is checked.

There is another option in the Properties window on the [Options] tab page in the [General] group, called "Active module detection.". If you check that check box then EFILive may be able to detect otherwise undetectable modules.

WARNING: with Active module detection." checked, EFILive attempts to locate modules by "resetting" them instead of just passively pinging them. This can cause undesired results, such as radio station presets and HVAC settings being cleared. Which is why that option is not checked on by default.

Regards
Paul

Cheers,
joel

curtbriggs
February 26th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Joel, I went out to the shop and find my battery dead also, left that stupid interior light switch in the on detent last night.

Did this: There is an option in the Properties window on the [Advanced] tab page called: "Check/Clear DTCs for all modules.", make sure that is checked.

It was checked. I canceled reporting on P0420 and P0430 and disabled Cat protection. Reprogrammed the PCM, turned the key off for 15 sec and the engine still won't start with out disconnecting the battery. I had deleted all the DTCs but still have a P1518 code. This code is what's causing the engine not to start because of missing serial data between the TAC (Throttle Actuator Control) Module and the PCM. It may clear after three drive trips.

Later, Curt

87gmc
February 26th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I ran into a similar problem today after flashing a new program into the pcm. Some how it tripped the security and would not let the truck start. The code it was throwing had to do with fuel shut off security i dont remember the exact code number. I flashed and reflashed and still would throw the same security code. I finally had to disable the theft set it from class 2 to none and the truck finally started.

Next I removed the newest version of efilive and reinstalled the older version. Went and flashed the pcm with theft set back to class 2. Everything is running fine now security is not getting set and no codes are being set. Maybe theres a glitch on the recent version?

Edit: The Code was P1626 "Theft Deterrent System Fuel Enable Circuit "

Blacky
February 26th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Can everyone who is seeing this type of problem send me the list of modules that the EFILive Scan Tool "detects"?
To do that, connect using the Scan Tool and press Ctrl+G. Then save (or copy) the report and attach it to (or paste it into) an email and send it to me at paul@efilive.com

It may be that EFILive is just not clearing some module's comms DTCs correctly.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
February 26th, 2005, 11:28 AM
I ran into a similar problem today after flashing a new program into the pcm. Some how it tripped the security and would not let the truck start. The code it was throwing had to do with fuel shut off security i dont remember the exact code number. I flashed and reflashed and still would throw the same security code. I finally had to disable the theft set it from class 2 to none and the truck finally started.

Next I removed the newest version of efilive and reinstalled the older version. Went and flashed the pcm with theft set back to class 2. Everything is running fine now security is not getting set and no codes are being set. Maybe theres a glitch on the recent version?

Thanks for that info - it does sound like the latest version is not resetting or restoring something correctly. I am investigating...
Just so I am sure, can you confirm the versions you were using were: 7.1.8 and 7.1.7?

Regards
Paul

curtbriggs
February 26th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Control G gave me: Errorcode:ERR_USERERROR/1

That sounds familiar, User Error, I get no respect around here.

Cheers, Curt

87gmc
February 26th, 2005, 05:58 PM

Thanks for that info - it does sound like the latest version is not resetting or restoring something correctly. I am investigating...
Just so I am sure, can you confirm the versions you were using were: 7.1.8 and 7.1.7?

Regards
Paul

7.1.8 is the one that threw the code.

bink
February 27th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Okay. I changed the above as desribed by Blacky - Properties section. Rehcarged my battery. Tried to clear all DTCs -> MIL and "Reduced Engine Power" still on.
Reflashed with recent and older .bins. Tried to clear all DTCs -> MIL and "Reduced Engine Power" still on.
Got out Edit :oops: read the PCM... and then thought :idea: .....I'll try EFILive V6. Hooked up V6 and all codes cleared :D
She's outside warming up - below 0*C here, I need a 0*C for IAC Park value. :lol:

Paul - I didn't do error reports, per se, but I did copy the DTCs and FF/History. If you want to see them? I started getting HVAC DTC reports, after the properties changes, they did clear with V7. The 120 and 121 (TAC?) TPS codes were the ones that wouldn't clear with Flashscan.

Cheers,
joel

I used V7 1.7 when the unclearable codes started. Then Reflashed with V7 1.8 in an attempt to clear. Both of course were unsuccessful.

Blacky
February 27th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Joel,
Can you send me the list of modules detected by EFILive in your vehicle.
The list will be in the file called:
My Documents\EFILive\V7\PIDs\<vin>.vml
where <vin> matches your vehicle's VIN.

It may be that EFILive is not detecting all modules correctly. If one or more modules are not listed in that file then EFILive will not clear their codes.
You can add them manually if you know their module ID's.

Thanks

Dirk Diggler
February 27th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Man you vette guys get it rough

XLR8NSS
February 28th, 2005, 03:49 AM

I've noticed this exact same thing on my 2000 GMC Sierra pickup. I wasn't sure if it was Flashscan or because I had a totally dead battery and had to replace it.

I reset my security to NONE also just so I could get something I was working on finished. Later I set it back to Class 2 and the truck would start and die in a couple seconds. I went inside to get instructions on how to do a Passkey reset because I thought that's what the problem was. When I went back outside 10 minutes later the truck started right up.

It seems that just letting the truck sit for a few minutes after flashing took care of the problem. I had four codes set. One was the fuel shutoff for the theft detterent system. Another was something about losing communication between the BCM. The other two I don't remember off hand but, I'll find out specifics and post them up. The codes would clear using the clear all DTC's function of the scanner but, they would come right back at the hit of the key. Just letting the truck sit for a little bit seemed to get things back to normal.

I will go an confirm that it's Flashscan and send blacky a report.

curtbriggs
February 28th, 2005, 04:23 AM
I let my 99 C5 sit all night and it still didn't start until I disconnected the battery. There were no security codes. Mostly com codes, like windows, key, etc.

BigTex
February 28th, 2005, 04:43 AM
I've seen something similar too.

2003 silverado - I have yet to flash my PCM, but I have downloaded the tune twice. First time after I waited the 15 seconds, the truck still had an engine light on (didn't before reading) and cluster said it was in reduced engine power mode. I turned off the truck, went inside to research the issue but it was cleared when I tried later in the day. Second time was the same (I gave it a solid 30 seconds) but I had to disconnect the battery to do some exhaust work and it was cleared afterwards.

I've also had another communication issue that has happened several times (5 out of 10 scans). When scanning, I'll connect then start recording. Sometimes it will log a few seconds of data, then it loses communication with the vehicle. USB/OBD lights flash flash fast even when I unplug it from the laptop. When it does this, I typically have to remove the cable from both the laptop and vehicle, connect the laptop first, then the vehicle and try again. I'm not sure, but I think it happens when I connect the cable to the vehicle first.

Richard

bink
February 28th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Joel,
Can you send me the list of modules detected by EFILive in your vehicle.
The list will be in the file called:
My Documents\EFILive\V7\PIDs\<vin>.vml
where <vin> matches your vehicle's VIN.

It may be that EFILive is not detecting all modules correctly. If one or more modules are not listed in that file then EFILive will not clear their codes.
You can add them manually if you know their module ID's.

Thanks

I'll send it tonite. Thanks!
Cheers,
joel

GMPX
February 28th, 2005, 10:35 AM
VERY SORRY guys, looks like a nasty bug has crept into the program......we are working on it like crazy!!.

Cheers,
Ross

hpcubed
February 28th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I've seen something similar too.

2003 silverado - I have yet to flash my PCM, but I have downloaded the tune twice. First time after I waited the 15 seconds, the truck still had an engine light on (didn't before reading) and cluster said it was in reduced engine power mode. I turned off the truck, went inside to research the issue but it was cleared when I tried later in the day. Second time was the same (I gave it a solid 30 seconds) but I had to disconnect the battery to do some exhaust work and it was cleared afterwards.

I've also had another communication issue that has happened several times (5 out of 10 scans). When scanning, I'll connect then start recording. Sometimes it will log a few seconds of data, then it loses communication with the vehicle. USB/OBD lights flash flash fast even when I unplug it from the laptop. When it does this, I typically have to remove the cable from both the laptop and vehicle, connect the laptop first, then the vehicle and try again. I'm not sure, but I think it happens when I connect the cable to the vehicle first.

Richard

Same situation here! Looking forward to the fix.

SS-1500
February 28th, 2005, 02:00 PM
I let my 99 C5 sit all night and it still didn't start until I disconnected the battery. There were no security codes. Mostly com codes, like windows, key, etc.

Have you tried clearing the DTC codes through the DIC ?

bink
February 28th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I'll send it tonite. Thanks!
Cheers,
joel

Sent info. Hope it helps some.

Cheers,
joel

curtbriggs
February 28th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Have you tried clearing the DTC codes through the DIC ?

No, I didn't use the DIC, good point though, might help trouble shoot Flashscan. I'll try that next time the codes come back.

Curt

Blacky
February 28th, 2005, 02:56 PM
A patch is being tested internally right now.
As soon as that patch get's the green-light, I'll make it available for limited release - to those that have posted in this thread.

Regards
Paul

bink
February 28th, 2005, 04:13 PM
A patch is being tested internally right now.
As soon as that patch get's the green-light, I'll make it available for limited release - to those that have posted in this thread.

Regards
Paul

Thank you.:D

Cheers,
joel

PowerKraus
March 2nd, 2005, 08:45 AM
Just like this << ran into a similar problem today after flashing a new program into the pcm. Some how it tripped the security and would not let the truck start. The code it was throwing had to do with fuel shut off security i dont remember the exact code number. I flashed and reflashed and still would throw the same security code.>>

Clearing DTC made no difference. Sending the BCM reconnect did not work. Disconnect the battery and reconnect, it worked and started up. Hmmmmmsounds like windows 95....crashes and you have to reboot :).

And this actually occured on a READ operation.

Robert
LS12 Edit Veteran

dfe1
March 3rd, 2005, 03:10 AM
I had the no start problem after reading the PCM on a 2002 Silverado as a result of the bug that resulted in a P1626 code, which I was unable to clear. I reflashed the PCM with Edit and that eliminated the problem. I also read the PCM in a 2003 H2 and had no problems. I've notified Paul of the problem and I'm just adding this note for informational purposes. Just as an aside to hopefully prevent any typical internet bad-mouthing-- this bug is just a bug. The systems in LS1/LS6-powered vehicles are relatively complex and EFILive is one of the most sophisticated tuning/scanning tools available. Put the two together, and it's virtually impossible to anticipate every potential problem. The guys at EFILive are VERY responsive to user input, which is one of the reasons their product is so good.

Bruce Melton
March 5th, 2005, 07:59 AM
2000 C5 here and it goes to "reduced power" after flash (altough it runs fine, and cannot be cleared. If I disconnect + bat term and touch to - term then hook it back up, all is fine again.

SS-1500
March 5th, 2005, 11:34 AM
2000 C5 here and it goes to "reduced power" after flash (altough it runs fine, and cannot be cleared. If I disconnect + bat term and touch to - term then hook it back up, all is fine again.

Also, had “Reduced Power” message, but the flash seemed to work fine. Once completed, I went directly into reading the codes through the DIC. Only 1 of any value was found P1518. I cleared the codes once I completed reading them. Turned the key off and waited at least 30 seconds. Car started right up with no check engine light. Good to go. Now if I could only figure out how to resolve my LTFT issues. Got some reading to do.

D&G Dyno Tune
March 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I to have all the same and cannot lic. the pcm on flash
any help ? 1999C5

SS-1500
March 7th, 2005, 01:44 PM
any help ? 1999C5

Try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes.
Once reconnected, use the DIC to clear all the codes.
Then try to flash the PCM.

D&G Dyno Tune
March 7th, 2005, 03:59 PM
disconnecting the batt got me going but still not let lic. the pcm for flash
back to the pcm.

SS-1500
March 8th, 2005, 12:20 AM
disconnecting the batt got me going but still not let lic. the pcm for flash
back to the pcm.

Any error messages ? Does it show a PCM status ?

curtbriggs
March 8th, 2005, 09:36 AM
any help ? 1999C5

Did you connect with the scan program first? Click on the "Green" Connect Button under Menu, File. Then, Menu, Help, Register AFILive?

If you did the above and have the problem, disconnect the cable and try again. Seems I've had a pop up window in tune telling me to disconnect the cable.

Warning! I'm a beginner and don't really know what I'm talking about, at least that's how I feel. I've had to stumble through all the above.

Curt

Tydriver
March 22nd, 2005, 07:19 PM
Can everyone who is seeing this type of problem send me the list of modules that the EFILive Scan Tool "detects"?
To do that, connect using the Scan Tool and press Ctrl+G. Then save (or copy) the report and attach it to (or paste it into) an email and send it to me at paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

You guys have NO idea how happy I am to see this post, I just got my EFILive 7.1.8 today and I am left walking already !! (LOL, such is my luck)

I work nights and didnt get a chance to play with it until after midnight. The same exact thing has happened to me, everything was going GREAT, I was datalogging everything etc, then I went to read the PCM and when I attempted to restart it, the YELLOW SECURITY message is displayed SOLID in the message center window in the instrument cluster.. I did manage to get the PCM read prior to this happening and do believe it to be related to the EFILive reading the PCM... So I am going to alter the P1626 code everyone is talking about and re-flash the PCM. Hopefully this fixes it..

I really appreciate seeing you guys being soo active in the R&D department here, its comforting to know even though this stuff is new, that some stuffy office engineer isnt running the show, and that down to earth people are only a post/email away..

My truck is sitting in a HARDEES parking lot in a 'NOT SO GOOD' side of town.. I would rather get it OUT of there.. Hopefully this fixes the problem until a permanent repair can be made.. I thought for sure that I goofed something up when I did it, but the controls were soo intuitive that it was easy to follow. I read the manuals etc all on my laptop but since I was far away from home. I had no internet access..

I called my loving wife to come get me at 2:30am, (and she's on dayshift) so you can imagine the flak I am going to get over this whole debacle !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh well, such is life for us die hard car peeps, its 3:14am now and I am heading out to re-flash it again with the security code disabled, and PRAY that it starts.. Wish me luck guys !!

Truck is a 2002 Silverado 5.3L 4x4 ECSB for reference. It was originally exported by GM to Canada when it was new, and re-imported back to the states on 04-07-2004..

I will look for what you ask for and also send it along as soon as I get the truck running.

Todd

Tydriver
March 22nd, 2005, 08:08 PM
So I went back to the truck, got the scan tool ready, turned the key on and it acted like it NORMALLY did. Without reflashing the PCM the truck started as it always has..

Heres what I got from the DTC:

P1626 Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Received H ($10) Engine controller
U1255 H ($40) Integration/Manufacturer expansion
U1000 Loss of Serial Communications for Class 2 H ($58) Restraints
U1041 Loss of EBCM Communication H ($58) Restraints
U1096 Loss of IPC Communications HC ($58) Restraints

Not sure if I should forward this information as you asked for before or not now, I didnt do anything different to it and it started. I see the suspect P1626 code there again listed, not sure what else to do..

Normally I wouldnt have made an attempt to read/write the PCM in a fast food parking lot but everything was going SOO well.. I knew better than that and I did it anyhow, I guess I got what I deserved... LOL..

Anyhow, let me know if you want me to submit the information you requested..

Tydriver@gmail.com

Blacky
March 22nd, 2005, 09:17 PM
So I went back to the truck, got the scan tool ready, turned the key on and it acted like it NORMALLY did. Without reflashing the PCM the truck started as it always has..

We're bummed about your truck not starting.

However, we have pretty much solved that issue for the trucks. Our beta testers are currently testing the fix for the C5's. We hope to make it available as soon as possible.

Regards
Paul

Tydriver
March 23rd, 2005, 12:29 AM
We're bummed about your truck not starting.

However, we have pretty much solved that issue for the trucks. Our beta testers are currently testing the fix for the C5's. We hope to make it available as soon as possible.

Regards
Paul

Dont sweat it, I realize this is cutting edge stuff and that theres going to be 'teething' problems with it.. Nobody got hurt, and no harm was done.. The truck is back where it should be and it was a learning experience for me. Please add me to the list tho of peeeps that need the corrected software. I will need to pursue this upgrade so I can re-enable the security system.. Whats really ODD, once it sits for 20-30mins, the problem completely disappears..

No worries tho!! Thanks again for your support and willingness to help us out !

Blacky
March 23rd, 2005, 07:54 AM
I will need to pursue this upgrade so I can re-enable the security system..

You should not need to purchase anything. The next update is free, actually all software updates are free.

Whats really ODD, once it sits for 20-30mins, the problem completely disappears.. !

I have not dug through all the no-start issues for a Silverado, so I am not 100% sure why the PCM refuses to start but my best guess is its a security thing. The system has a trouble code that says the VAT (Vehicle Anti Theft) system has experienced a failed attmpt to communicate with the PCM.

The PCM may go into "self protection" mode, similar to a car alarm time delay after repeated attempts to bypass the system. Once the modules involved with VAT have successfully communicated for a preriod (i.e. 20 minutes) then the PCM probably re-enables starting.

OR

GM have a service bulletin out where there is a no-start bug due to VAT fuel cutoff, after a battery disconnect or other disturbance (I can't remember the exact worrding). A new PCM operating system has been released by GM to fix that problem. The new OS is: 12593359. What OS are you running and what is your VIN? (If you post your VIN here, leave the last 6 digits off for your own privacy, or just PM me with your VIN).

Regards
Paul

Tydriver
March 23rd, 2005, 05:37 PM
They say a picture is worth 1000 words, so howabout this ?

http://www.turbols6.com/albums/album10/aac.jpg

If indeed I need to get it reflash (it appears my OS is out of date on the PCM) what should I say to the dealership ?? Is this a recall item ? Or can I get it for free somehow ? :lol: :lol: :lol: (Hey I gotta try dont I ??)

The truck was exported directly to Canada before being sold new and then re-imported back to the US last year (when I bought it), not sure if that has something to do with the OS..

I know they require Daytime Running Lights up there and I cant disable them following the procedures in the owners manual (I realize this is BESIDE the point, just making an observation).. So not 100% certain if this is causing a conflict or what I should do ?

I am open to suggestions..

Blacky
March 23rd, 2005, 06:47 PM
I am open to suggestions..
Actually I am having trouble verifying the exact calibration details for your truck. Can you mail me your full VIN at paul@efilive.com.
Thanks
Paul

Tydriver
March 23rd, 2005, 07:45 PM
email sent !

hpcubed
March 25th, 2005, 02:21 PM
99 C5. Tried the new update. When I upload to the PCM I could start the car after the upload, but I recieved all kinds of codes as those discussed above. Had to disconnect the battery to get the communications going again and get rid of the codes. Even if I clear the codes with the scan tool, they keep popping back up until I do a battery disconnect. Last night after reprogramming the display would not turn off and kept saying reduced engine power etc. Even after it sat for an hour the display would not shut off??? Keep tryin :D .

jfpilla
April 19th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Regards
Paul

Paul,
I flashed using 7.1.9 with no problems. I found that when the "Remove Key" message appears, that waiting 10 seconds or until the chimes stop, then turning off the key works best.
Joe

John Skiba
April 19th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Regards
Paul

Paul,
I flashed using 7.1.9 with no problems. I found that when the "Remove Key" message appears, that waiting 10 seconds or until the chimes stop, then turning off the key works best.
Joe

The car PCM resets and chimes for a second and may dispay reduced power for a second until all resets and clears. I always wait a few seconds until things settle down before I start shutting things down, etc.